Login | Register

Royce Gracie: Let's Face it...
06-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Royce Gracie: Let's Face it...
…If it weren't for Royce, we wouldn't be here. There would be no interest in learning grappling and we'd still be throwing basic karate techniques around.

I don't really "like" Royce as a fan…but I respect it was he who made everything ignite.

That is all.

Tongue

Enjoy marijuana
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2015, 02:19 PM
RE: Royce Gracie: Let's Face it...
if not royce it would've been Rickson or any other Gracie

MMA would have taken off without the UFC .. Japan already had shooto and pancrase.

however UFC was the first large scale no-holds barred event
06-18-2015, 08:09 PM
It is both Royce and Rorion who are responsible for what we have today. Rorion was the brains behind the brilliant marketing scheme which became the UFC. He strategically chose the fighters from the long list of entrants, based on Royce's ability to defeat their style. Shamrock, based on his Pancrase background, was the closest thing they allowed to a genuine challenger, but everyone else was a shoe-in for Royce. They relied also on the element of surprise, I suspect that most of the entrants had no idea about Gracie JJ before the event.

Royce performed very well though, apparently he was the second choice, Rickson was unavailable at the time from memory.
I really liked the Bloodsport feel to it, and all of the characters and their various, often made-up, disciplines. The modern UFC doesn't hold a candle to it in my opinion, regardless of better technique, weight divisions, rounds, a points system and sanctioning. In fact, I think those 5 things are why it's not as fun to watch for me.

I wish that someone would bring it back, hold it in Thailand or Brazil, or fucking Somalia or somewhere that no one is going to force them to abide by rules. Make it open weight class and just one unlimited round, and broadcast it PPV via the internet.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
06-18-2015, 08:13 PM
^^ Oh, and make it an 8 man tournament, of course.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
06-18-2015, 09:01 PM
I always rooted against Royce until he fought Dan Severn. I was thinking no way a wrestler beats Jujitsu. He's not even a "shoot wrestler" lol. I started to hespect the GJJ after that.
06-18-2015, 09:42 PM
excellent posts from redneck.

loved the original UFC. so raw and the style vs. style was great

first 5 UFCs were awesome!
06-19-2015, 06:20 AM
That man is my hero.

come for the calo, stay for the yoshida brotha
06-19-2015, 11:06 AM
(06-18-2015 08:09 PM)Redneck Wrote:  It is both Royce and Rorion who are responsible for what we have today. Rorion was the brains behind the brilliant marketing scheme which became the UFC. He strategically chose the fighters from the long list of entrants, based on Royce's ability to defeat their style. Shamrock, based on his Pancrase background, was the closest thing they allowed to a genuine challenger, but everyone else was a shoe-in for Royce. They relied also on the element of surprise, I suspect that most of the entrants had no idea about Gracie JJ before the event.

Royce performed very well though, apparently he was the second choice, Rickson was unavailable at the time from memory.
I really liked the Bloodsport feel to it, and all of the characters and their various, often made-up, disciplines. The modern UFC doesn't hold a candle to it in my opinion, regardless of better technique, weight divisions, rounds, a points system and sanctioning. In fact, I think those 5 things are why it's not as fun to watch for me.

I wish that someone would bring it back, hold it in Thailand or Brazil, or fucking Somalia or somewhere that no one is going to force them to abide by rules. Make it open weight class and just one unlimited round, and broadcast it PPV via the internet.

no, Rickson wanted a million dollars, and they couldn't give it to him. Then they changed the story to him having obligations in pride.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman
06-19-2015, 12:29 PM
(06-18-2015 08:09 PM)Redneck Wrote:  It is both Royce and Rorion who are responsible for what we have today. Rorion was the brains behind the brilliant marketing scheme which became the UFC. He strategically chose the fighters from the long list of entrants, based on Royce's ability to defeat their style. Shamrock, based on his Pancrase background, was the closest thing they allowed to a genuine challenger, but everyone else was a shoe-in for Royce. They relied also on the element of surprise, I suspect that most of the entrants had no idea about Gracie JJ before the event.

according to Art Davie (13:25), they wanted Royce from the start. He had the build and the level of athleticism (or lack thereof) that the ave Joe could relate to.

06-19-2015, 12:33 PM
I always used to root for Royce.

dead soul
06-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Without Royce we wouldn't have ....what we have today!

dead soul
06-20-2015, 03:35 AM
It's funny because The UFC was established to show the dominance of BJJ. No rules, no time limits.

Now The UFC is wrestling in a cage with a few strikes thrown in. Using too much BJJ will lose you the match unless you sink the submission.

come for the calo, stay for the yoshida brotha
06-20-2015, 12:48 PM
good wrestling is bjj kryptonite, good to get some wrestling in to blend the style to be able to counter it
06-20-2015, 07:55 PM

Yeah just tonight a German kayoed the Brazilian champ right at the round break on the undercard of the Kimbo/Shamrock event and the champ got to recover for a minute a wound up knocking out the German when he came in for the second finish. just underscores how unrealistic the whole thing is now. Thoroughly entertaining though, at least tonight.

dead soul
06-22-2015, 02:54 AM
the original UFC's had potential for violence, the UFC or MMA of today has no potential of any such thing.

The thrill is gone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement Skookum Charlie 27 2,870 08-06-2019 10:49 AM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Gracie Family Wall-of-Shame Thread kungfool 6 847 03-16-2019 04:50 PM
Last Post: Skookum Charlie
Video Ralph Gracie shakes hands with Almeida, then assaults him CTsar 20 1,488 03-07-2019 09:45 PM
Last Post: trevorrice
  Gracie first UFC win in 25 years CTsar 38 2,277 02-28-2019 09:50 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns