Login | Register

Bj Penn's legacy
07-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Bj Penn's legacy
what do you guys think?

i think he is sort of in the Dan Henderson category of semi-legendary open weight fighter.

But no way is he the top LW of all time, that title goes to Gomi.

Gomi had a much more even run at LW than BJ.

and Gomi is still kind of relevant today, BJ is not.

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2014, 01:44 AM
RE: Bj Penn's legacy
biggest wins of his career: Uno, Gomi and Matt Hughes.

does not really make ultra legendary status.
07-13-2014, 02:37 AM
Sherk and Pulver were pretty big wins too. I don't think his legacy is in who he had beaten, but rather in who he had inspired, and continue to inspire. If Royce Gracie = Bruce Lee (in terms of inspiring the masses), then BJ = JCVD.
07-17-2014, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 06:49 AM by Daglord.)
Bj Penn's legacy
Penn's legacy to me is that he was game to fight anyone @ any weight, rumored to have even asked for sylvia @ the peak of his title run. & (IMO) he would have a fighters' chance in any fight he took @ the time... especially a motivated penn.

his list of opponents is awfully impressive IMO. easily of the GOATS in the fight game.
07-18-2014, 02:33 AM
^ in Japan, he originally wanted to fight Fujita! That freakin' monster Fujita. But they gave him Machida instead.
07-19-2014, 03:13 AM
"semi-legendary" ?

nice lil jab there ey
07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
14-6 record does not a legend make.

if that was a criteria for legendary status I guess people like Minowa or even Matsui could be considered legends?

A more apt comparison would probably be Yuki Kondo, someone who fought somewhat competitively with top fighters out of his weight class.
07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Has no heart because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and was able to afford the best training possible because of his families wealth.

He will be forgotten by mainstream MMA in a few years like most pioneers.
07-22-2014, 06:11 PM
one of the most overrated fighters of all time IMO
07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm a huge BJ fan and I'll always respect his contribution to the sport, but the way he got beat down or quit against Hughes, GSP, Diaz, Rory and Edgar really make me question his legendary status. He had some amazing highs and some terrible lows in his career. If he had retired a few fights ago, I think he would've been remembered in much higher regard than he will be now.
07-23-2014, 02:05 AM
He definitely took more risks than Gomi.
07-23-2014, 02:06 AM
(07-22-2014 08:30 PM)Pappy Knuckles Wrote:  I'm a huge BJ fan and I'll always respect his contribution to the sport, but the way he got beat down or quit against Hughes, GSP, Diaz, Rory and Edgar really make me question his legendary status. He had some amazing highs and some terrible lows in his career. If he had retired a few fights ago, I think he would've been remembered in much higher regard than he will be now.

Yes, he's well past his prime, much like Wand.
07-23-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm not aware of one former elite fighter who hasn't fallen off significantly -- that certainly applies to Gomi.

We might even be witnessing this pattern with Anderson.

Maybe GSP (if he remains retired) is the exception.

Botton line, it's rare for ex stars of the sport to know when to throw in the towel. BJ was no exception.

In his prime, he was one of the best, and could be admired for his desire to test the waters in a manner that few fighters before and after him have done.
07-23-2014, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 06:20 AM by Daglord.)
(07-23-2014 02:18 AM)BRIC Countries Wrote:  I'm not aware of a one former elite fighter who hasn't fallen off significantly -- that certainly applies to Gomi.

We might even be witnessing this pattern with Anderson.

Maybe GSP (if he remains retired) is the exception.

Botton line, it's rare for ex stars of the sport to know when to throw in the towel. BJ was no exception.

In his prime, he was one of the best, and could be admired for his desire to test the waters in a manner that few fighters before and after him have done.

BRIC & butcher get it. VU.
07-23-2014, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 07:41 AM by Daglord.)
(07-22-2014 05:45 PM)Dale Doback Wrote:  Has no heart because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and was able to afford the best training possible because of his families wealth.

He will be forgotten by mainstream MMA in a few years like most pioneers.

once could argue that being born w/the silver spoon would have made it much easier to win couple BJJ world championships, compete a little bit, open a gym & live off the name. guys w/no heart, or will, don’t ask to fight the most relevant fighters @ their particular time regardless of weight diff, promotion, styles, matchups, etc.

hughes, pulver, machida, GSP, sherk, fitch, edgar & diaz (to name a few, lol) were all relevant fighters & @ the top of their game when he fought them. Hughes & GSP (in particular) were simply smashing dudes @ the time & were out of his natural weight class – not to mention bad stylistic matchups.

problem staying motivated? sure, can't argue w/that. never a fan of cardio training? no doubt.

no heart? not a chance. he has been in some wars vs some of the best.

much more relevant than gomi, even @ this very moment IMO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bj penn was accused of sexual abuse? EVILYOSHIDA 18 300 04-11-2021 01:45 AM
Last Post: karasu
  UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn returns vs. Ryan Hall at UFC 232 Skookum Charlie 10 3,287 10-07-2018 05:42 AM
Last Post: karasu
  UFC FN 103 Penn vs Rodriguez johan 0 920 01-16-2017 10:59 PM
Last Post: johan
Video Mackenzie Dern MMA debut Legacy FC 58 7/22/16 johan 0 1,298 07-31-2016 12:24 PM
Last Post: johan