Login | Register

Why are the Japanese so innovative and creative?
12-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Why are the Japanese so innovative and creative?
For me this is most pronounced in fashion, but this is not limited to fashion and exists in many if not most other cultural spheres.

All the greatest fashion brands come from Japan, not just in terms of quality but the fit and the aesthetics, everything always just seems to be placed where it should be.

Specifically they all seem to be from people that were based in Harajaku.

I am about to spend 1200 on a jacket from a Japanese label called Mastermind that was so dedicated to principal that they shut the label down when it started getting too big and the guy in charge had to decide between cutting quality and expanding the business.

Why does amazing stuff like this never come from China or Korea or any of those God forsaken hell holes in South East Asia?

Koreans and Japanese people are very similar at a genetic level so it can't only be race, could it be Japanese imperialism and the contact with colonial European powers that were at the time very innovative and creative?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2013, 02:05 PM
RE: Why are the Japanese so innovative and creative?
[Image: ice-cream-glow-clock-varsity-jacket-1.jpg]
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
are you trolling bro?

Even i think the Japs only have eccentricity cornered... in terms of sheer aesthetics in the world of fashion. Italians have no peers.
12-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Agreed with Italian. Nothing like Italian suits. Smooth and classic.
12-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Italian stuff is outdated compared to whats coming out of japan.
12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
The Japanese have established a couple designer brands, but they do not hold a candle to northern Italy when it comes to WESTERN HAUTE COUTURE. Where is the Armani or Dolce & Gabana of Japan? That's right, they don't exist yet.

People vote with their wallets. The best suits, belts, dress shoes, etc. you name it are Italian made. I'll hold my breath until I see the Milanese gobbling up Japanese fashions like there's no tomorrow.

To SOME EXTENT fashion trends are highly subjective, and they do fade in and out with the seasons.... Just look at the ridiculous shit European men were wearing during the 18th century, or Chinese fashions from the Qing dynasty. I mean nigga are you fo serious?

[Image: VlyLOsq.jpg]

GHEY

But I'm talking about fashion trends as they exist currently.

Harajuku fashion typically revolves around eccentric fads that have only found a niche market among young Western people overseas... And even then they are not very popular. Drug-addicted black rappers with tattooed faces have had a greater impact on popular fashion than the entire population of Japan.

12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Fashionable people worldwide laugh at dg or armani. Stuff is old school.

Japanese are cutting edge with this.

Japanese denim alone makes them amongst the top.
12-06-2013, 04:38 PM
The entire hipster scene came from japan also. Tose big italian brands are for nouveau riche chinese village chiefs
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Fashion imo.

[Image: style-12-gucci-fall-2010-collection-0809...468682.jpg]

Though I prefer my going-out shirt...

[Image: 459205_10152808914730691_1335199493_o.jpg]
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
That being said, the Japanese are an extremely innovative race. You don't need statistics to prove this. Just go visit Japan and take a look everything around you. I first discovered this when I was a little kid on holiday with my uncle, who is a travel agent -- go visit a Japanese mini convenience store and marvel at the WIDE array of drinks and snacks you see around you, many of which cannot be found anywhere else in the world. They make Hershey's and Coca Cola look like dog crap by comparison.

EVERYTHING in Japan screams creativity from their electronics, to their traditional culture, to their advertising and even little oddities like how they wrap packages in stores. Koreans will just cram together some lacquer boxes in sheets of old newspaper and call it a day -- and this is their "traditional" culture. The Japanese have to go all fancy with the origami and the yukio-e designs and the practical ergonomics. (Vincent van Gogh and other Western artists who admired Japanese art were first inspired by the pattern prints on the cheap packaging the Japanese used for their exported goods.) For the most part, the Japanese are not a people who like to half-ass anything.

12-06-2013, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:44 PM by Shahanshah.)
(12-06-2013 03:07 PM)DonJohnson Wrote:  are you trolling bro?

Even i think the Japs only have eccentricity cornered... in terms of sheer aesthetics in the world of fashion. Italians have no peers.

Italian fashion is overwhelmingly just vintage Americana using high quality materials.

They don't innovate and they don't create like the Japanese do.

I am talking about pure creativity, experimenting with new fabrics, materials and methods of production.

There is no Italian Visvim which updates production methods every 6 months and uses nothing but natural dyes for it's clothes.
12-06-2013, 04:44 PM
(12-06-2013 04:38 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  The entire hipster scene came from japan also. Tose big italian brands are for nouveau riche chinese village chiefs

Japanese brands are for the young eclectic crowd. Like Chris Brown.
12-06-2013, 04:48 PM
interesting perspectives.

I'm going to be rocking my Prada denim and Dolce T-shirts with my Caruso and Zegna blazers with my etro scarf in Shanghai this winter. I'll report back on how I do.

Ciao bella!
12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
(12-06-2013 04:37 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  Japanese denim alone makes them amongst the top.

That's another thing.

The best denim in the world all comes from Japan.

Even the brands that aren't actually Japanese like Naked and Famous or APC use Japanese denim and Japanese cotton.

That's just one corner of the market that has been completely cornered by the Japanese and by chance.

America got rid of most of it's shuttle looms that you make good jeans on and sold them/gave them to Japan post WW2, which inadvertently created a massive denim culture that would give rise to higher quality denim that was ever produced in America.
12-06-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:52 PM by DonJohnson.)
My Prada denim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> APC

not even close bros.

My Coming Soon(Japanese) denim started fading color. I don't even wear them anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sunbucks... New innovative coffee chain from China EVILYOSHIDA 14 1,495 03-28-2019 08:01 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  Beauty store owner low kicks &attempts creative subs on suspected portly female thief EVILYOSHIDA 0 793 02-07-2019 11:40 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  The psychiatric agenda destroys creative children EVILYOSHIDA 3 1,647 11-10-2018 10:36 PM
  Vintage Japanese Photos EVILYOSHIDA 2 1,078 07-09-2018 12:11 AM