Login | Register

The word Jew is now classed as anti-semitic
07-31-2013, 10:21 PM
The word Jew is now classed as anti-semitic
Newspaper forced to apologize over anti-Semitic clue in crossword puzzle

Tribune Media Services newspapers printed a crossword clue where the three-letter answer for Shakespeare's 'Shylock' was 'Jew'

In response the Anti-Defamation League asked the paper to print an apology and refrain from using clues that perpetuate negative Jewish stereotypes

The paper issued an apology and promised not to print the clue again

A Chicago-based newspaper syndicate issued an apology to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) after being accused of publishing an anti-Semitic crossword clue.

In a press statement issued shortly after the puzzle's publication, the ADL reprimanded the syndicate for 'perpetuat[ing] classic anti-Semitic stereotypes of Jews as evil and money-hungry,' and asked they print an apology.

In his letter Abraham H. Foxman, the National Director of the ADL wrote, 'Perhaps the puzzle authors were unaware of the use of Shakespeare’s Shylock character throughout the years as a vehicle for antisemitism.'

He continued, 'Selecting Shylock to elicit the answer ‘Jew’ demonstrates cultural ignorance and an extreme lack of sensitivity. Even if done inadvertently, such a linkage perpetuates classic antisemitic stereotypes of Jews as evil and money-hungry.'

[Image: article-2355912-1AA90615000005DC-991_634x478.jpg]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...uzzle.html

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
RE: The word Jew is now classed as anti-semitic
i think it has been this way for a long time. a lot of people refrain from "jew" or "jewish" in public.

even saying good things about jews can be classed as "anti-semitic" because it is perpetuating "successful stereotypes" that made lead to resentment.
07-31-2013, 11:23 PM
What about Christian or Catholic?

Can we still use those words?

"So you respect Islam? Open your ears and listen to what it has to say. It’s telling you to fuck off"

- Gavin McInnes
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Re: RE: The word Jew is now classed as anti-semitic
(07-31-2013 11:23 PM)Gimp Wrote:  What about Christian or Catholic?

What did you say? You racist fuck!!! Can't wait to stand my ground against you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
07-31-2013, 11:32 PM

Yes, because Christians have never been persecuted, or stereotyped, so it's ok to talk shit about them, they can handle it.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Jews do not like to be called Jews these days. It's pejorative. Is anti Semitic.
07-31-2013, 11:43 PM
30-50 million Christians killed by Bolsheviks didn't happen!
07-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Whenever an ethnic minority is despised or hated, even harmless words will automatically turn into racial slurs. Merely changing the word to something else is only a temporary fix... inevitably that word itself will become a racial slur, no matter how harmless it is originally.

Let me give you an example. N*gger/nigra was considered too offensive (it was always vulgar, but not intrinsically offensive, like "shit skin"), so white people started calling 'em negroes. Then negro became a racial slur, so all of a sudden "negroes" became "colored". Now "colored" took on an offensive connotation, so "colored" became "black". "Black" became "African American". And now "African American" is "people of color". Etc. So we have automatically closed the circle here. This bullshit never ends.

The problem with Jews is this. You can't call them Jews, because of the offensive connotation (e.g. "I jewed down my auto dealer to get an excellent deal on my new Jetta", etc.). You can't call them "Jewish people" either, because the creative uses are simply too obvious. (e.g. "OMG tiffany you shopped at K-mart when your whole family can afford Vera Wang? Like, that is so Jewish."). Once you take out Jew and Jewish, what's left? Hook-nosed Solomon? Children of Abraham? Jacob's seed? High functioning Arabs? Israelites?

Like I said, when does this bullshit ever end?

07-31-2013, 11:50 PM
(07-31-2013 11:32 PM)Redneck Wrote:  

Yes, because Christians have never been persecuted, or stereotyped, so it's ok to talk shit about them, they can handle it.

All jokes aside, it's fascinating to observe the J words in action.

If Christians had half their gumption sites like Reddit would be in the same category as Stormfront.

"So you respect Islam? Open your ears and listen to what it has to say. It’s telling you to fuck off"

- Gavin McInnes
08-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Jews have engaged in the business of shylocking for thousands of years. If they don't like it, then stop doing it.
08-01-2013, 12:44 AM
How dare they try to jew us on the ol north american english.

Man is disturbed not by things, but by the views he takes of them.
08-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Re: The word Jew is now classed as anti-semitic
Since this is sort of a race/ethnic thread, I have a question. When you fill out a job app or whatever in the US they ask us our race. I have always put down white. Well, I have not had a bite in a bit. I started to not answer that question. What do ya know, I got a phone call yesterday. I think an adult white male under a certain age is the ONLY type of person that CANNOT be legally discriminated against.

What ya say. Did I get lucky or did that have any bearing?

08-01-2013, 01:43 AM
^ that's ridiculous. it's illegal to ask for your age or your race in the US for job applications.

I know a lot of hapas are using their "white" names for college applications.
08-01-2013, 01:43 AM
(08-01-2013 01:31 AM)sycotik Wrote:  Since this is sort of a race/ethnic thread, I have a question. When you fill out a job app or whatever in the US they ask us our race. I have always put down white. Well, I have not had a bite in a bit. I started to not answer that question. What do ya know, I got a phone call yesterday. I think an adult white male under a certain age is the ONLY type of person that CANNOT be legally discriminated against.

What ya say. Did I get lucky or did that have any bearing?

Put down Cuban or some other light skinned minority and see if you start getting calls.

Businesses are so terrified of discrimination lawsuits that no one will have the balls to grill you about "looking white".

- Gavin McInnes
08-01-2013, 01:44 AM
yep. that's why men get the shaft first as well when it's time to lay off people . they do not want to deal with gender discrimination lawsuits.

these liberals are not about equality.. i really wish they were.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  19 yr old Israeli Jew arrested for Jewish community bomb threats johan 28 318 03-25-2017 06:08 AM
Last Post: Billygoat
  Jewish YouTubers Trademark the Word 'React' jho 123 13,744 02-17-2017 02:16 PM
Last Post: canuckster
  CNN Anchor/Democrat Family Dynasty Member: Calling Us Fake News Like Using N-Word Dagwood 3 169 02-10-2017 02:03 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  Mind Control - When Did Xenophobia Become A Word Everybody Knew? THE_DEAN 11 269 02-04-2017 08:55 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA