Login | Register

The Ramen Rater
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
The Ramen Rater
http://qz.com/108086/meet-the-38-year-ol...ant-ramen/

"Hans Lienesch started eating packaged ramen noodles as a child, when his mother would cook them al dente, fry them with egg and call them spaetzle. Now 38, the Seattle-area native and resident has carefully reviewed and categorized more than 1,100 varieties of instant ramen as The RamenRater, reaching global ramen stardom—and, more recently, notoriety.

Earlier this year, he earned the wrath of greater China’s instant ramen enthusiasts after excluding Chinese and Taiwanese brands from his 2013 top 10 lists (for best instant noodles, noodle bowls and noodle cups). Then last week, he included several varieties from China on his list of the Bottom 10 Noodles of All Time.

China’s Baijia Instant Sweet Potato Noodle Spicy Fei-Chang Flavor, he wrote, has a “strong ‘dirt and urine’ scent accompanied by slimy sweet potato noodles.” That was only the second-worst on his list; the dubious top spot was awarded to China’s Baijia Single Noble Black Bone Chicken Flavor Instant Sweet Potato Noodles.

Instant ramen fans in China—who are famously protective of their country’s noodles—were displeased. A slew of television stations and newspapers in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong deemed his ratings, and the anger they caused, newsworthy . . .

Abuse poured in, in the form of comments and e-mails, criticizing Lienesch’s tastebuds, his nationality, his weight and his judgment.

One reader wrote:

"Your reviews are similar to having someone raised on and preferring “Boones Farm Strawberry Hill” wine critiquing the world’s array of fine wines. Yes, his review would also be just a personal opinion, but alas, an opinion that is not very informed and thus easily dismissed."

Other Asian countries—notably those who have done better in his rankings—have made him something of a ramen rock star. A Korean newspaper dubbed Lienesch the “God of Ramen,” Japanese television featured interviews with him, and he’s attracted the notice of noodle manufacturers and retailers, who have started sending him noodles to review, inviting him to factories and offering up executives for interviews.

There are, believe it or not, parallels between the instant noodle industry and the wine industry when self-appointed taste master Robert Parker hit the scene in the 1970s. Preferences for instant noodles are split for the most part along country borders, with a fierce nationalistic streak defining the most ardent fans. Unlike the wine industry, most of the cross-border noodle taste battles take place in Asia. Like Parker, Lienesch is unapologetic in his ratings, defending his tasting methodology as simply being “true to my taste buds” . . .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 08:28 AM
RE: The Ramen Rater
http://www.theramenrater.com/

http://www.theramenrater.com/top-ten-lis...3-edition/

http://www.theramenrater.com/top-ten-lis...3-edition/
07-26-2013, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2013 08:40 AM by superCalo.)
Robert Parker almost single handidly destroyed much of the uniqueness of wines terrior, wine makers making the same taste set that he promoted world wide - the sickness of globalisation, thankfully many are now seeing him for what he is a fat fraud whose taste buds are sub par in terms of quality.

at length did cross an albatross
07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
^ very interesting, Calo.

Would you trust your ramen ratings to this man:

[Image: taste-testing-ramyun-at-nongshim-usas-r-....jpg?w=880]
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
He certainly looks like he has tasted ramen very regularly.
However and the ramen he enjoys may well be very good indeed, its his taste set, his taste buds if you will, that distinguish what he prefers & gives top marks.
One man's poison is another man's nector.
His personal tastes must & do ultimately influence how he marks ramen rather than how it stacks up on its own merits.
This is the way of such things, but when as it appears the case one persons views start to define how it "should" taste its not only dangerous in that it detracts from regional differences but it promotes the sameness of globalisation.
Don't get me wrong many cultures should be ultimately be absorbed & wiped off the earth as they give nothing but negativity, violence & decay to society, but for the most part there is something we can & should take from many of them, often that is food, variety is indeed the spice of life in this regard

at length did cross an albatross
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
His taste in bottled water is horrific

"So you respect Islam? Open your ears and listen to what it has to say. It’s telling you to fuck off"

- Gavin McInnes
07-26-2013, 09:09 AM
^LOL.

That actually raises an interesting question, though, as to the interaction of the water quality and the noodle quality.
07-26-2013, 09:20 AM
he eats a lot of ramen, but I'm not sure if understands what he is eating entirely.

in order to really understand ramen, it's not enough to just eat diff. packages.. you have to know the original dishes/cuisines each ramen is based on.

but his site is still useful because he compiles nearly all the known instant ramen in the world.
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
I used to eat a lot of Ramen.. I'm talking about brands like Maruchan or Top Ramen or whatever.. The beefs, chickens, and oriental flavors... I also ate the Korean pepper flavored ramen...

I can't eat ramen anymore.. Maybe I can eat some of the fancy shit you guys have had but the smell of the Top Ramen like brands makes me want to throw up nowadays... Yuck...
07-26-2013, 09:29 AM
(07-26-2013 09:20 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  he eats a lot of ramen, but I'm not sure if understands what he is eating entirely.

in order to really understand ramen, it's not enough to just eat diff. packages.. you have to know the original dishes/cuisines each ramen is based on.

but his site is still useful because he compiles nearly all the known instant ramen in the world.

Yeah, and I think he deserves some credit for finding a way to be productive even though he is close to being legally blind (per the article).
07-26-2013, 09:59 AM
the ramens from Japan and other places are based on SPECIFIC ramen styles based on various regions.

Sapporro style is diff. from Hakata style.. Tokyo style is diff. from Tokushima style.

People who have not tried the REAL VERSIONS cannot really make a good judgement.

Instant Ramen certainly is one of the most interesting foods out there.. but the avg. american would not understand this since they only know the absolute cheapest crap like Maruchan or Cup Noodle.

in the US you can get Cup noodle for like 25 cents.. in Japan try 2 bucks.

the quality and attention to detail is totally diff.

in the US it's poor student snack food. in Asia it's an entire sub culture almost.

When the japanese were asked what was the most significant Japanese invention in the past century.. they didn't mention anything about their tech innovation like CD, DVD, microprocessors, auto tech etc. The #1 ranked thing was INSTANT RAMEN hahaa.

but ironically it was invented by a taiwanese called Momofuku Ando.. better known as the founder of Nissin Ramen.
07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
(07-26-2013 09:29 AM)Roland Bates Wrote:  
(07-26-2013 09:20 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  he eats a lot of ramen, but I'm not sure if understands what he is eating entirely.

Yeah, and I think he deserves some credit for finding a way to be productive even though he is close to being legally blind (per the article).

yeah. i give him props and admire his passion for sure.

however his ratings are not that useful to me. it's all based on his own subjective tastes.. also the way he prepares them sometimes is not authentic.

He also cannot differentiate between noodles that are eaten dry and ones that are eaten with the soup.

Those who know, know! Big Grin
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Mama Noodles Tom Yam Kung flavor SPICY.
07-26-2013, 11:13 AM
We call them junkie noodles in my part of the world!

dead soul
07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
the avg. Asian probably eats 1-2 packs a week.

They have premium versions that are really quite good.

It's not that bad if you add eggs, some veggies and NOT DRINK THE SOUP < KEY POINT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Owning a Ramen Restaurant in Japan is like. pug-thug 3 2,534 12-27-2016 06:30 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Ippudo Ramen is so overrated. pug-thug 48 12,589 11-27-2014 08:19 AM
  Japanese Ramen Shop Murder pug-thug 18 4,742 10-03-2014 03:56 PM
Last Post: Megatherium
  Basic Ramen Terms You should know. Glossary. pug-thug 13 6,730 04-01-2014 01:41 PM