Login | Register

The Messianic Idea in Judaism. Basic Info
07-23-2013, 03:56 AM
The Messianic Idea in Judaism. Basic Info
The Messianic Idea in Judaism

Quote:At a Glance:
• The idea of mashiach (messiah) is an ancient one in Judaism
• The Jewish idea of mashiach is a great human leader like King David, not a savior
• There is much speculation about when the mashiach will come
• The Bible identifies several tasks that the mashiach will accomplish
• Jews do not believe in Jesus because he did not accomplish these tasks

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2013, 03:59 AM
RE: The Messianic Idea in Judaism. Basic Info
All info from:

http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm

Quote:Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism. It is part of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith, the minimum requirements of Jewish belief.

Quote:The mashiach will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The mashiach is often referred to as "mashiach ben David" (mashiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments (Isaiah 11:2-5). He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being.
07-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:When Will the Mashiach Come?

There are a wide variety of opinions on the subject of when the mashiach will come. Some of Judaism's greatest minds have cursed those who try to predict the time of the mashiach's coming, because errors in such predictions could cause people to lose faith in the messianic idea or in Judaism itself. This actually happened in the 17th century, when Shabbatai Tzvi claimed to be the mashiach.

Shabbatai's case is interesting. People should look into it.

Quote:Sabbatai Zevi (alternative spellings: Shabbetai, Sabbetai, Shabbesai; Zvi, Tzvi) (b. at Smyrna 1626; d. at Dulcigno 1676), an Ottoman Jew who claimed to be the Messiah, but then converted to Islam; still has followers today in the Dönmeh. The most important messianic movement, and one whose influence was widespread throughout Jewry, lasting in some quarters over a century. After his death, Sabbatai was followed by a line of putative followers declared themselves Messiahs "Sabbethaian pseudo-messiahs";
07-23-2013, 04:02 AM
This is interesting:

Quote:What Will the Mashiach Do?

Before the time of the mashiach, there shall be war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16)

The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).
07-23-2013, 04:17 AM
A 21st century claimant:

Quote:21st century
Goel Ratzon (1951-), from Tel Aviv, claimed to have supernatural healing powers and reportedly lived with 32 women who believed he was the Messiah. He also fathered 89 children, who were all given names that were variants of his own, but was arrested in 2010 on suspicions that he was abusing his "wives" and children.
07-23-2013, 04:23 AM
(07-23-2013 04:02 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  This is interesting:

Quote:What Will the Mashiach Do?

Before the time of the mashiach, there shall be war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16)

The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).

[Image: london-2012.gif]
07-23-2013, 04:27 AM
^ they spent 600K on that logo lol.
07-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Is that what I posted EY?

Sorry, it must have been an accident. I meant to post something else.

The logo is wonderful and worth every penny IMO.
07-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Very stylish way of writing 2012.

Anyways.. if I am reading this right.. then the seat of world government would have to be in Israel when the jewish messiah arrives. Israel would control the entire world. I am wondering if I am reading this incorrectly. Please inform me if I am. Thanks!
07-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Quote:• Judaism does not have a formal mandatory beliefs
• The most accepted summary of Jewish beliefs is Rambam's 13 principles of faith
• Even these basic principles have been debated
• Judaism focuses on the relationships between the Creator, mankind, and the land of Israel
07-23-2013, 04:55 AM
(07-23-2013 04:35 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  Very stylish way of writing 2012.

Anyways.. if I am reading this right.. then the seat of world government would have to be in Israel when the jewish messiah arrives. Israel would control the entire world. I am wondering if I am reading this incorrectly. Please inform me if I am. Thanks!

That's how I read it as well.

Maybe somebody can clear up this misunderstanding.
07-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Heh, misunderstanding... They practice what they preach.
07-24-2013, 06:28 AM
so it should be clear why the "jews" did not accept Jesus as the messiah. he did not become king of the land and rule the world.
07-24-2013, 06:29 AM
but of course many jews or judeans did accept jesus at the messiah. they became the Catholic Church.
07-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Interesting thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WTC Occupancy List in 2001 (FOIA) + other 9/11 info EVILYOSHIDA 12 5,443 04-04-2022 12:55 AM
Last Post: jho
  Good Samaritan HERO or BAD IDEA? karasu 2 185 02-16-2022 08:56 AM
Last Post: karasu
  UK DR EXPLAINS VAX WILL BE PULLED SOON. INSIDE INFO EVILYOSHIDA 21 801 01-21-2022 03:56 AM
Last Post: canuckster
  Jordan Peterson - Why The Idea of "Just Accept Yourself!" is Nihilistic and Insane jho 20 4,156 06-13-2021 06:40 AM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA