Login | Register

Niccolo Machiavelli
09-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Niccolo Machiavelli
[Image: 9780140150926]

I've been reading this book. Although I have long felt $$$ to be the Primary Condition of Power in Modern Society this books does a good job of explaining why GOOD Leadership SUCCEEDS and POOR Leadership FAILS

also of interest is the topic of Wealth Inequality which theme is discussed throughout the book such as in the part where I just read about how EXCESSIVE WEALTH is a Clear Indication of Corruption because Excessive Wealth is impossible when LAWS are OBSERVED and only Possible when there is CORRUPTION
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2021, 08:03 AM
RE: Niccolo Machiavelli
What happens when the laws themselves are corrupt?
09-07-2021, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2021 10:48 AM by karasu.)
^it seems Machiavelli might propose a temporary Dictatorship to clean up the corruption. Of course the Dictator must be a WALK the TALKer of RIGHTEOUS and MORAL character and not some FORK TONGUE Charismatic Serpant AntiChrist Debaucher!
09-07-2021, 10:57 AM
there seems to be some emphasis on the concept of Public SERVANT and that when the RICH RULE there is CORRUPTION and that EXCESSIVE WEALTH of the FEW leads to too much power by the FEW resulting in CORRUPTION which does not yield a healthy society
09-07-2021, 09:57 PM
How is excessive wealth defined?
09-08-2021, 05:55 AM
^I'm sure some smart thinkers could find a reasonable measurement Tongue
09-08-2021, 01:36 PM
(09-08-2021 05:55 AM)karasu Wrote:  ^I'm sure some smart thinkers could find a reasonable measurement Tongue

Certainly Machiavelli had an answer.
09-08-2021, 01:50 PM
(09-08-2021 05:55 AM)karasu Wrote:  ^I'm sure some smart thinkers could find a reasonable measurement Tongue

It's your thread where do you set the bar? me personally I would think anything above 20 million may be excessive?

“One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name” - Walter Scott
09-08-2021, 02:26 PM
^yeah, $19Mil is just barely getting by! $20Mil and you can eat some Chipotle!
09-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Did karasu admit that he isn't a smart thinker?

So why does he think his ideas have any merit?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2021, 03:38 PM
(09-08-2021 02:26 PM)karasu Wrote:  ^yeah, $19Mil is just barely getting by! $20Mil and you can eat some Chipotle!

So where do you set the bar then? What do you consider excess? I'm trying to factor in the fact that some people can get wealthy in America still. Do you punish everyone who makes above a certain amount and what would that amount be?

“One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name” - Walter Scott
09-08-2021, 05:30 PM
it is obviously something which needs to be a National Discussion where opinions can be heard and discussed to come up with a reasonable collective opinion on the matter.

This may be where Bernie and I have a slight difference of opinion where he is setting the sights on the Billionaires and I perhaps think that the bar could be lowered a good bit to include the Multi-Millionaire Club too.

Of course I would be open to hearing diverse dialogue on the matter so that a reasonable conclusion could be achieved.
09-08-2021, 09:23 PM
(09-07-2021 10:57 AM)karasu Wrote:  there seems to be some emphasis on the concept of Public SERVANT and that when the RICH RULE there is CORRUPTION and that EXCESSIVE WEALTH of the FEW leads to too much power by the FEW resulting in CORRUPTION which does not yield a healthy society

He wrote Il Principle (the Prince) which layed the groundwork for our modern western politics

Does this resembles something in our current political climate..?

"Machiavelli proposed that immoral behavior, such as the use of deceit and the murder of innocents, was normal and effective in politics. He also notably encouraged politicians to engage in evil when it would be necessary for political expediency."

Quote:Scientists Koopmans and Gommers receive Machiavelli Award 2020
News
The Machiavelli Award 2020 has been awarded to Marion Koopmans, professor of virology, and Diederik Gommers, chairman of the Dutch Society for Intensive Care. This was announced today by the Board of the Machiavelli Foundation. The award is granted annually for a remarkable achievement in the field of public communication.

“Koopmans and Gommers receive the prize because of their relentless efforts to make the science about the coronavirus accessible to a broad public. Enthusiastically and tirelessly, they are able time and again to distinguish facts and fables about the virus in an understandable language”, according to the jury report.

“The deliberate search for dialogue with doubters of science and opponents of policy has contributed to a greater understanding, especially among young people”, continues the jury report. “It is to Koopmans and Gommers’ credit that they have made informing a broad public their vocation alongside their daily work in the so urgent fight against the coronavirus. A vocation that both exercise with great self-evidence and skill”.

The context of the Machiavelli award is inverted

Every major politician who lied to the public to gain political or economical win for the elite received this award

"Someone Machiavellian is sneaky, cunning, and lacking a moral code. The word comes from the Italian philosopher Niccolò Machiavelli, who wrote the political treatise The Prince in the 1500s, that encourages “the end justifies the means” behavior, especially among politicians."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives . . . by maniacs for maniacal purposes"
09-08-2021, 10:55 PM
Bernie was against millionaires and billionaires until he became a millionaire. Now he's just against billionaires.
09-09-2021, 02:52 AM
^yeah, he needs to be humbled and taken to account on that one!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Machiavelli awards 2020 Glimmer 0 236 01-06-2021 09:09 PM
Last Post: Glimmer