Analog high definition from 1990. SONY
08-17-2021, 08:46 PM

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2021, 04:34 AM
RE: Analog high definition from 1990. SONY
There were 2 consumer analog hd varriants possible for home video in the 90s, the Muse laser disk and JVC's W-VHS.

From wiki:
Quote:W-VHS (Wide-VHS) is a HDTV-capable analog recording videocassette format created by JVC. The format was originally introduced in 1994 for use with Japan's Hi-Vision, an early analog high-definition television system.

W-VHS VCRs can record a high-definition video signal (1035i to 1080i, stored internally as an 1125-line signal similar to Hi-Vision) via the analog Y/Pb/Pr component interface, a standard-definition signal (480i), or two simultaneous standard-definition signals, for 3D video.[2]

The recording medium of W-VHS is a ½-inch double-coated metal particle tape stored in a cartridge similar to, but incompatible with VHS. Some W-VHS VCRs are capable of playing and recording VHS and S-VHS media.

Unlike normal VHS, which uses a single head to record video fields as a series of parallel standalone tracks, W-VHS uses a dual-head design to record each video field as two parallel tracks storing a component video signal. The signal is recorded using a method called "time compression integration" in which the luminance signal is divided into two sets of lines, which are then split and recorded across both tracks. After the luminance signals are recorded, the two color signals are recorded, one on each track, in a time-compressed form. Recording these signals sequentially rather than side by side prevents crosstalk between the luma and chroma components.[3][1]

Because the video signals are recorded in component form instead of e.g. the "color-under" method used by S-VHS, standard definition image quality for W-VHS is typically much higher, due to the lack of noise caused by a chroma sub-carrier. Audio is stored as a digital PCM stream.

Now I'm glad we don't have to deal with tapes anymore but it would have been cool to have an analog video format. Digital compression artifact are hideous.

Reading about all this cool analog tech makes me miss the time before internet induced dopamine over saturation.

Bonus:
[Image: XTLAQJagFO8o2LumQBJIsCGKRumLse8a4YC-_vAM...2bca8fb505]

! This post was funded by the goverment of the Russian Federation !
08-18-2021, 04:39 AM
the neo geo was amazing
great post rezin
08-18-2021, 04:49 AM
Well I never had a Neo Geo but that era of videogames was awesome. The first console I ever bought was a Playstation in the late 90s.

To me the PS1 and PS2 generation of videogames was the best. I don't think it will ever be surpassed as a whole.

We had enough technology to do really cool stuff, and enough limitations to where we had to be creative and not waste bandwidth on nonsense.

08-18-2021, 04:52 AM
the supergrafx was cool too but there weren't enough games.
the industrial design of the consoles were amazing back then

the ones now are a regression in design

PS2 looks good though
08-18-2021, 05:24 AM
I thought that the PS1 looked cooler than the PS2 actually. And I really liked how the tray opened on the PS1. Simple and effective.

[Image: 93651_09.jpg]

[Image: 152878655213846863.png]

And don't get me started on the opening sequence.

08-18-2021, 05:28 AM
the resolution at 1:00 is unbelievable for 1990. I remember downloading national geographic's Earth series around '07 when I first got my 1080p/1440p monitor. I was completely blown away. Imagine what it would've felt like having that image quality 30 years ago.
08-18-2021, 05:37 AM
(08-18-2021 04:49 AM)rezin Wrote:  Well I never had a Neo Geo but that era of videogames was awesome. The first console I ever bought was a Playstation in the late 90s.

I've daydreamed of a parallel universe where the polygon revolution never happened and we just got increasingly better 2D consoles. And not the vectorial , Corel draw looking 2D bs, just ever more sophisticated pixel art. I wish that Sega or Nintendo would release a retro console around this premise.
08-18-2021, 05:51 AM
Sometimes the tech limitations can become a core component of a medium, like for example the acting in the old 24fps movies had a certain charm that is now gone in higher frame rates which make everything look like a TV show or real life. It's kind of how I feel about pixelart in games, but the modern high res polygons are also fascinating as well.

08-18-2021, 06:26 AM
(08-18-2021 05:28 AM)CTsar Wrote:  the resolution at 1:00 is unbelievable for 1990. I remember downloading national geographic's Earth series around '07 when I first got my 1080p/1440p monitor. I was completely blown away. Imagine what it would've felt like having that image quality 30 years ago.

The resolution in the close up also shows the limitations of the camera tech they were using tho. It's over sharpened and aliased. I wish they had transferred some high quality 35mm cinematography.

I've talked about this before but I should mention it again since it's true of fixed grid camera sensors to this day. Aliasing in audio is a high frequency signal represented as a lower frequency signal. In the audio realm the filters are making sure that everything sounds like it's supposed to, but in the video realm if you actually apply sufficient filtering the image will become too soft and unusable. This difficulty in filtering between audio and video is due to how complex video actually is compared to audio. Digital audio essentially requires 1D filtering whereas images require 3D filtering.

So with fixed grid cameras there is always some aliasing. High frequency in images are the fine details of the object.

When an image is aliased, fine detail is represented as a courser detail. Digital also boosts contrast within that courser detail to increase "apparent" resolution which to my eye always looks artificial.

[Image: image16.jpg?iv=308]

This is most visible for representation of skin since this is what we are most tuned to (tho I suppose someone who looks a lot at plants and rocks could also pick up on it)

Because of this problem in today's movies young people look rubbery and old people look like crispy fried chicken.

08-18-2021, 06:46 AM
I still own a working Sega megadrive

It is still as awesome.. Playing afterburner 2, Mickey and Donald, alladin all awesome games with loads of atmosphere and quality gameplay

I also watched Tennet last year on 70mm

Talking about analog HD graphics. It reaches 16k!

This was the first and only film I watched on 70 mm but I am a fan and would recommend it to every cineast. It really gives that oldschool theatre vibe

Me and my buddy agreed that tennet was cool, but the 70mm brought the extra

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives . . . by maniacs for maniacal purposes"
08-18-2021, 07:15 AM
(08-18-2021 05:37 AM)CTsar Wrote:  I've daydreamed of a parallel universe where the polygon revolution never happened and we just got increasingly better 2D consoles. And not the vectorial , Corel draw looking 2D bs, just ever more sophisticated pixel art. I wish that Sega or Nintendo would release a retro console around this premise.

I'm glad we got the PS2 level of polygons but I think it was all down hill from there. But even during the PS2 generation it was clear that some techniques were better during the PS1 generation, like for example the prerendered backgrounds in the Resident Evil and Final Fantasy series. So yeah, even during the PS2 generation it was clear that the emphasis on more graphical power will probably lead to weaker aesthetics and stylistics, which is exactly what happened.

Also you guys should know that all the stuff PS2 and back is supposed to be viewed on an old school tube tv. They were made specifically for that tech:

Left is CRT, right LCD
[Image: sal772bfx0f21.jpg]

Left LCD, right CRT
[Image: ERt2FS6VUAcvGNl.jpg]

The internet is full of such examples.

08-18-2021, 07:36 AM
^the scanlines gave an antialiasing effect to the pixelate, very interesting
08-18-2021, 10:05 AM
^ It's not just cause of the scan lines. It's the very nature of crt technology that it tends to not show aliasing. Tube tv's dont actualy have pixels like fixed grid displays (lcd, oled, plasma) they just have a flying spot.

It's true that for color crt's there's phosphor triads but the end result is still different from a fixed pixel display. LCD vs CRT:

[Image: kCocOdN.jpeg]
08-19-2021, 10:44 AM
That's a cool comparison. Dunno whey they went with rectangular pixels in modern displays, the CRT image looks much more organic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Oh Science. Now high SALT intake is good for you. EVILYOSHIDA 17 3,315 11-10-2021 05:36 AM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  some HIGH-CARB Mason Lunch Special! karasu 9 836 05-03-2021 02:36 AM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  George Floyd's girlfriend reveals she was Daunte Wright's TEACHER at high school EVILYOSHIDA 5 801 04-16-2021 06:57 AM
Last Post: Dagwood
  High Morale Troops - Sleeping at Capitol ahead of Trump impeachment EVILYOSHIDA 15 1,382 01-23-2021 01:51 AM
Last Post: Count Iblis