Login | Register

Here Are Some Free-Speech Alternatives to Big Tech
01-14-2021, 06:01 AM

By Matt Margolis Jan 12, 2021

Since my recent post about Mozilla’s CEO declaring that de-platforming President Trump isn’t enough, I’ve been asked by a number of readers about alternatives to Mozilla and Firefox for browsing the internet.

It seems that there is definitely interest amongst PJ Media readers in embracing alternatives to Big Tech, so I’ve decided to compile a list of services that I currently use.

Transitioning away from Big Tech is not an easy proposition. It may be impossible at the moment to do so completely, but any effort you can make to reduce their influence on your life is a step in the right direction. The way things are going now, it’s only a matter of time before you get kicked off of Twitter or Facebook. So it’s time to start embracing the alternatives.

And there are several. I am not even going to pretend to know them all, but I have tried out a few of them—you can find links to my accounts at the end of this post.

Please note that several of the platforms that haven’t been shut down are experiencing rapid growth at the moment, and may be slow to use for a while.

Big Tech wants to silence conservatives. Help us fight back by becoming a PJ Media VIP member. Use promo code CENSORSHIP to receive 25% off your VIP membership.

Parler (currently down)

Parler has been around for a few years and was scapegoated by Big Tech for the assault on the Capitol. It is currently down. A matter of days after the Capitol assault, Google Play and Apple’s app store removed the app, and then Amazon Web Services shut down the website. Prior to that, Parler had been one of the most popular apps in the Apple app store as conservatives flooded to it in response to Twitter and Facebook’s censorship.

Parler is an interesting option because it generally was accepted as an alternative to Twitter, but I found it was not as intuitive or as user-friendly. I’m sure that it will eventually improve once it is back online.

Gab

Probably one of the first real free-speech social media alternatives to really gain an audience, Gab launched in August 2016 and has been targeted by Big Tech ever since. Dubbed a “far-right” social media network, it has managed to survive and thrive without relying on Big Tech. It started off as a Twitter alternative but now feels more like a hybrid of Twitter and Facebook. They also have GabTV, which is dubbed as an alternative to YouTube.

I signed up for Gab in its early days but, honestly, didn’t use it much. However, I’ve recently logged back in to discover that the site has come a long way since its inception. It’s got a beautiful, clean design that is easy to use. Is it an echo chamber? Sure. All free-speech alternatives to Facebook and Twitter are, and Facebook and Twitter are destined to be echo chambers, too. Since Twitter banned Trump, I’ve decided it’s time to embrace Gab again.

CloutHub

I hadn’t heard about this one until last week when conservative actors Dean Cain and Kristy Swanson started promoting it on Twitter. I’ve since created an account, along with countless others whose collective bandwidth is making it hard for the service to keep up with demand.

MeWe

MeWe is another social media network that thrives on the concept of free speech. It is arguably the most Facebook-like free-speech alternative to Big Tech that I’ve tried, though it kind of looks like the love child of Facebook and MySpace (remember that?). You can join and create groups and chat. Sharing is the same as it is on Facebook.

Rumble

Rumble is a video-sharing site that dubs itself the free-speech alternative to YouTube and it has seen tremendous growth in recent months. “We don’t censor political debate or dialogue,” Rumble CEO Chris Pavlovski said last year. “We welcome all viewpoints.”

Mark Levin, Dinesh D’Souza, and many other conservative figures have joined Rumble. I created an account months ago and transferred all of my YouTube videos over. I don’t post a lot of videos, but when I do, I will no longer use YouTube.

Brave Browser

I ditched the Chrome browser a couple of years ago in favor of Brave, mostly due to privacy concerns. If you’re concerned about being tracked by Big Tech, Brave has a lot of features to protect you.

Dissenter Browser

If you use multiple browsers, as I do, and then choose to switch to Brave from Chrome or Mozilla/Firefox, download Dissenter. It is built on Brave by the folks at Gab, and I downloaded it the same day that Mozilla’s CEO went on her tirade against Trump and free speech.

DuckDuckGo

I’m not going to lie, as far as search engines go, Google is number one for a reason. And sometimes, I still have to use it on rare occasions. DuckDuckGo, however, is my primary search engine and has been for a few years now. Once again, my motivation was privacy and not being tracked by Big Tech. It does the job well. Even if you don’t think you can change browsers, you can change your default search engine and this is one I recommend. They also have a mobile browser for smartphones. If you can’t ditch Big Tech completely, the least you can do is make it harder for them to track you.

ProtonMail

I’ve been doing my best to transition my email away from Gmail, a product of Google. I was attracted to ProtonMail a couple of years ago based on their reputation for privacy and security. You can create an account for free, or pay for some premium features. To facilitate the move to ProtonMail, I set up all my Gmail to forward to my new account, and over time switched the linked email address for various online accounts to my new one. Most of what I get now at my Gmail account is junk mail.

Have I missed any? Send me an email and let me know and I can add to this list.

Clickable links are at the website: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/ma...h-n1333519

“One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2021, 06:20 AM
RE: Here Are Some Free-Speech Alternatives to Big Tech
Yeah I joined Rumble, Bit Chute, Dailymotion, Gab and Parler and ditched Chrome when this started to go down. Got into Parler just in time to watch them boot it off the internet, I really hope it's back. I haven't used Facebook in years and I've all but stopped using twitter, half my followers are gone lol.

I gleefully deleted Firefox when that dipshit Mozilla dude made his Stalinist comments. I'm using Edge as a browser for now but I'll probably download Brave and move everything over there pretty soon.

Hey, good to see you again Pilgrim. Smile

Megatherium
01-14-2021, 06:31 AM
welcome back pilgrim

some are good alternatives for now

but either they are also honey traps or will be compromised when they reach critical mass

I suspect GAB has been compromised already
01-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Thanks, Mega and EY.
01-14-2021, 06:47 AM
the thing is they don't even care if people are in an echo chamber

the danger is though if you drive these guys further and further underground, they can get more easily radicalized

when they were stuck on twitter/youtube they self censored

now they are going on private p2p messaging services and will get MORE RADICALIZED
01-14-2021, 07:33 AM
[Image: A4E2EFD1-EF48-4889-B513-F6A1231877B7-100...BF4F2.jpeg]
01-14-2021, 03:03 PM
(01-14-2021 06:47 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  the thing is they don't even care if people are in an echo chamber

the danger is though if you drive these guys further and further underground, they can get more easily radicalized

when they were stuck on twitter/youtube they self censored

now they are going on private p2p messaging services and will get MORE RADICALIZED
How is that any different than people meeting in bars and starting a revolution against the king?

--I Eat Grits--
01-14-2021, 03:18 PM
I hope "they" are enjoying my threads Big Grin
01-14-2021, 03:46 PM
vk...no censorship and it's been around foreva...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2021, 03:49 AM
(01-14-2021 03:46 PM)jho Wrote:  vk...no censorship and it's been around foreva...

American conservatives and Russian conservatives just need to start working together openly.

Why do you think the elites harp on about Russia Russia Russia? Clearly in their gameplanning that has been the one move that has been most effective against them.

So they poison the well, try to make people think it isn't even an option.

As for Gab and Protonmail, I have not heard good things, I'll leave it at that. Parler too I was never convinced about.

Pretty sure that Mercer's daughter just sold out every Parler user. The Amazon lawsuit is just to save face.
01-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Nice summary, Pilgrim and welcome back.

I would also recommend using a VPN, although the best ones are not free.
01-15-2021, 02:33 PM
yes VPN is essential

make sure to use Dallas Texas or China texas as the proxy location!
01-15-2021, 05:16 PM
(01-15-2021 02:33 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  yes VPN is essential

make sure to use Dallas Texas or China texas as the proxy location!

LOL. There really is a China, Texas. Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China,_Texas

"China was first known as "China Grove", for a water stop for the Texas and New Orleans Railroad that sat amidst a grove of chinaberry trees. In the 1860s a small community grew around the water stop, and another a few miles away named Nashland. A post office with the name "China" was established there in 1893. When fire destroyed the China Grove depot in 1906, the railroad rebuilt in the larger Nashland area, but retained the established name "China" as the name of the depot. The Nashland post office changed its name to China shortly afterward. It wasn't until 1971 that the (now-merged) community voted to incorporate as the city of China, Texas."
01-15-2021, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 06:01 PM by Skookum Charlie.)
Quote:YouTube rival Rumble is suing Google for at least $2 billion, saying the search giant abuses its monopoly power

https://www.businessinsider.com/rumble- ... ves-2021-1

The video-sharing site Rumble has accused Google of "unfairly rigging its search algorithm" to favor YouTube's videos in search results, marking the tech giant's latest in a series of antitrust headaches.

Rumble, based in Toronto, filed a lawsuit in California on Monday claiming that Google had unfairly cost it viewers and advertising revenue because of its search algorithms and preinstallation of the YouTube app on Android devices.

"Google, through its search engine, was able to wrongfully divert massive traffic to YouTube, depriving Rumble of the additional traffic, users, uploads, brand awareness and revenue it would have otherwise received," the complaint said.

Google has faced a string of antitrust actions over its search dominance the past few years, drawing attention from US authorities, European Union legislators, and market competitors alike.

Rumble has become popular with conservatives in the past year or so, encouraged by Republican Rep. Devin Nunes and others. The company says it has more than 2 million creators using the site.

Influential right-wingers in the US have taken an aggressive stance against established US tech firms such as Facebook, Google, Apple, and Amazon, a position lately intensified by the platforms teaming up to essentially block the right-wing social-messaging platform Parler.

Currently Rumble's list of most watched videos includes the conservative political commentator Dan Bongino, the Fox News host Sean Hannity, and the conservative YouTubers Diamond and Silk. Its CEO, Chris Pavlovski, regularly posts updates on Twitter about right-wing figures joining the platform.

In its complaint, Rumble alleges that Google "willfully and unlawfully created and maintained a monopoly in the online video-sharing platform market in at least two ways."

"First," it added, "by manipulating the algorithms by which searched-for-video results are listed, Google insures that the videos on YouTube are listed first, and that those of its competitors...are listed way down the list...

"Second, by pre-installation of the YouTube app as the default online video-sharing app on Google smart phones, and by entering into anti-competitive, illegal tying agreements with other smartphone manufacturers to do the same."

The firm indicated it was seeking damages of at least $2 billion.

Rumble's complaint comes shortly after Parler sued Amazon.

Amazon had hosted Parler's service on its cloud service, AWS, but booted the firm off after the US Capitol riot last week. Parler argued in its subsequent suit that Amazon was behaving anticompetitively. Parler's lawsuit indicates that sites and apps banned or penalized by the US tech giants over violent speech are willing to use the emerging antitrust sentiment in court.

A Google representative told The Wall Street Journal: "We will defend ourselves against these baseless claims."

Rumble and Google did not immediately respond to requests for further comments from Business Insider.

Megatherium
01-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Quote:Rep. Nunes Calls for Racketeering Investigation Into Big Tech Companies Following Parler Ban

BY THE EPOCH TIMES · PUBLISHED JANUARY 10, 2021 · UPDATED JANUARY 10, 2021

https://thedailycoin.org/2021/01/10/rep-...h-companie

Rep. Nunes Calls for Racketeering Investigation Into Big Tech Companies Following Parler Ban BY ZACHARY STIEBER for The Epoch Times

A top Republican in the House of Representatives on Sunday called for a racketeering probe into large technology companies who over the weekend took action against Parler, a social media website.

“This is clearly a violation of antitrust, civil rights, the RICO statute. There should be a racketeering investigation on all the people that coordinated this attack on not only a company but on all of those like us, like me, like you, Maria,” Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), the ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, told Fox News’s “Sunday Morning Futures” host Maria Bartiromo.

After Twitter banned President Donald Trump and some other users, Parler saw its traffic explode. Soon, though, Google announced it had removed Parler from its online store, a move followed by Apple. Then, Amazon announced it was suspending Parler from its web hosting services.

Parler CEO John Matze told The Epoch Times his company is prepared to take legal action, but in the meantime authorities should investigate the possibly-coordinated actions, Nunes argued.

“The effect of this is that there is no longer a free and open social media company or site for any American to get on any longer,” he said, because Amazon, Google, and Apple, “have just destroyed” Parler.

“It’s preposterous. So I don’t know where the hell the Department of Justice is at right now, or the FBI,” he added.

Nunes also said the CEOs of the companies should be prosecuted criminally. He also said he has been talking to fellow members of Congress and that they’re exploring their legal options. And he also called on the Supreme Court and federal judges to step in and intervene.

The Department of Justice, Apple, Google, and Amazon didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Megatherium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's see who gets a get out of jail free card tomorrow jho 10 213 01-21-2021 03:04 PM
Last Post: jho
  Kyle Rittenhouse is now free as fuck EVILYOSHIDA 0 121 01-15-2021 09:48 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  Macron, Merkel “shocked” at Twitters banning Of Trump, call for big tech regulation CTsar 3 136 01-12-2021 11:18 AM
Last Post: Count Iblis
  How long until big tech and the ccp censor this site? Señor Penis 2 101 01-09-2021 12:36 PM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns