Login | Register

US eyes building a nuclear plant on Moon & Mars
08-04-2020, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 04:00 PM by KurtDangle.)
US eyes building a nuclear plant on Moon & Mars
U.S. Eyes Building Nuclear Power Plants on the Moon, Mars

https://time.com/5871667/nuclear-power-plant-moon/

The Idaho National Laboratory, a nuclear research facility in eastern Idaho, the Energy Department and NASA will evaluate the ideas for developing the reactor.

The lab has been leading the way in the U.S. on advanced reactors, some of them micro reactors and others that can operate without water for cooling. Water-cooled nuclear reactors are the vast majority of reactors on Earth.

“Small nuclear reactors can provide the power capability necessary for space exploration missions of interest to the Federal government,” the Energy Department wrote in the notice published Friday.

The Energy Department, NASA and Battelle Energy Alliance, the U.S. contractor that manages the Idaho National Laboratory, plan to hold a government-industry webcast technical meeting in August concerning expectations for the program.

The plan has two phases. The first is developing a reactor design. The second is building a test reactor, a second reactor be sent to the moon, and developing a flight system and lander that can transport the reactor to the moon. The goal is to have a reactor, flight system and lander ready to go by the end of 2026.

The reactor must be able to generate an uninterrupted electricity output of at least 10 kilowatts. The average U.S. residential home, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, uses about 11,000 kilowatt-hours per year. The Energy Department said it would likely take multiple linked reactors to meet power needs on the moon or Mars.

In addition, the reactor cannot weigh more than 7,700 pounds (3,500 kilograms), be able to operate in space, operate mostly autonomously, and run for at least 10 years.

The Energy Department said the reactor is intended to support exploration in the south polar region of the moon. The agency said a specific region on the Martian surface for exploration has not yet been identified.

Edwin Lyman, director of Nuclear Power Safety at the Union of Concerned Scientists, a nonprofit, said his organization is concerned the parameters of the design and timeline make the most likely reactors those that use highly enriched uranium, which can be made into weapons. Nations have generally been attempting to reduce the amount of enriched uranium being produced for that reason.

“This may drive or start an international space race to build and deploy new types of reactors requiring highly enriched uranium,” he said.

Earlier this week, the United Arab Emirates launched an orbiter to Mars and China launched an orbiter, lander and rover. The U.S. has already landed rovers on the red planet and is planning to send another next week.

Officials say operating a nuclear reactor on the moon would be a first step to building a modified version to operate in the different conditions found on Mars.

“Idaho National Laboratory has a central role in emphasizing the United States’ global leadership in nuclear innovation, with the anticipated demonstration of advanced reactors on the INL site,” John Wagner, associate laboratory director of INL’s Nuclear Science & Technology Directorate, said in a statement. “The prospect of deploying an advanced reactor to the lunar surface is as exciting as it is challenging.”

aka Poiupoiu
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2020, 08:13 PM
RE: US eyes building a nuclear plant on Moon & Mars
They have to figure out how to get there first.
08-04-2020, 10:11 PM
haven't gone beyond low earth orbit since 1972 and they are talking about building nuke plants on moon and mars

EL OH EL
08-05-2020, 01:49 AM
It might be to power drones/rovers and what have you. There is nothing to suggest this goes hand in hand with manned exploration.

In the late 60s NASA was telling people they would have a Moon base by 2001. That we would have a 'space elevator'. And... World Peace! (this was actually the top 'sci-fi' authors and advisors to NASA, Arthur C Clarke and Robert Heinlein)
08-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Bush said we'd be landing men " BACK " on the moon by 2017

NEVER HAPPENED!
08-05-2020, 12:12 PM
Are there odds on this happening by 2026?

I want to place a bet
08-05-2020, 12:16 PM
not going to happen by 2026.
If a moon landing happened today it would be a bigger deal than in 1969

in a way a lot of people suspect the 1st landing, otherwise why would people be so hyped about something we did with slide rule tech back in 69?
08-05-2020, 01:30 PM
(08-05-2020 12:12 PM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  Are there odds on this happening by 2026?

I want to place a bet

Oof, who would take the other side of that bet?

Certainly not PP!
08-05-2020, 01:40 PM
They periodically just create these fake stories to drum up interest in technology , science etc.

also probably to get more public support when they need more FUNDS
08-05-2020, 03:15 PM
(08-05-2020 01:40 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  They periodically just create these fake stories to drum up interest in technology , science etc.

also probably to get more public support when they need more FUNDS

My long time theory is that they use the fund, and fake stories of going to Mars, on virtual reality development.

"If you don't love all, you love no one" - Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson
08-05-2020, 03:17 PM
I sort of think the mars missions are real.
Doesn't seem that implausible to crash land little rover buggies onto the martian surface.

that's what they do. CRASH LAND. yet we soft landed on the moon in 1969 with HUMANS ONBOARD with SLIDE RULE TECH
08-05-2020, 04:03 PM
(08-05-2020 01:30 PM)Chaos Reigns Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 12:12 PM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  Are there odds on this happening by 2026?

I want to place a bet

Oof, who would take the other side of that bet?

Certainly not PP!

i just noticed the first 3 paragraphs were missing. i edited them in.

is is a feasibility request, there are looking for ideas. betting on a timeline when there is not even a solid plan yet would be ridiculous.

aka Poiupoiu
08-05-2020, 04:34 PM
(08-05-2020 03:17 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  I sort of think the mars missions are real.
Doesn't seem that implausible to crash land little rover buggies onto the martian surface.

that's what they do. CRASH LAND. yet we soft landed on the moon in 1969 with HUMANS ONBOARD with SLIDE RULE TECH

things have been landing on the moon since 1959 . 10 years before apollo 11

aka Poiupoiu
08-05-2020, 04:38 PM
I said humans onboard..

I know about surveyor and earlier missions

the unmanned missions are PROBABLY REAL
08-05-2020, 04:46 PM
(08-05-2020 04:38 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  I said humans onboard..

I know about surveyor and earlier missions

the unmanned missions are PROBABLY REAL

how is landing with a human different than landing unmanned ?

do physics change because there is a human on board ?

aka Poiupoiu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  July 21, 1969: Man walks on the Moon for the 1st time? Chaos Reigns 915 74,947 11-26-2020 08:47 AM
Last Post: KurtDangle
  Interesting out there THEORY: Nuclear Weapons Don't exist EVILYOSHIDA 207 34,299 11-23-2020 07:09 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  This Japanese Building burned for 82 hours. EVILYOSHIDA 8 221 11-04-2020 01:50 AM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  First book on the Nuclear Weapons are a hoax conspiracy theory (2017) EVILYOSHIDA 18 5,361 11-03-2020 11:28 PM
Last Post: KurtDangle