Login | Register

The Great American Eye-Exam Scam
12-18-2019, 05:29 PM

Why is it so difficult to get a new pair of glasses or contacts in this country? It’s easier pretty much everywhere else.

NOVEMBER 27, 2019
Yascha Mounk

On a beautiful summer day a few months ago, I walked down to the part of the Connecticut River that separates Vermont from New Hampshire, and rented a kayak. I pushed myself off the dock—and the next thing I remember is being underwater. Somehow, the kayak had capsized as it entered the river. I tried to swim up, toward the light, but found that my own boat blocked my way to safety. Doing my best not to panic, I swam down and away before finally coming up for air a few yards downriver. I clambered onto the dock, relieved to have found safety, but I was disturbed to find that the world was a blur. Could the adrenaline rush have been so strong that it had impaired my vision? No, the answer to the puzzle was far more trivial: I had been wearing glasses—glasses that were now rapidly sinking to the bottom of the Connecticut River.

If the whole experience was, in retrospect, as funny as it was scary, the most annoying consequence was the need to regain the faculty of sight. I did not have any backup glasses or spare contact lenses on hand. The local optometrists did not have open slots for an eye exam. Since the United States requires patients to have a current doctor’s prescription to buy eyewear, I was stuck. In the end, I had to wear my flowery prescription sunglasses—in offices and libraries, inside restaurants and aboard planes—for several days.

Then I went to Lima, Peru, to give a talk. There, I found a storefront optician, told a clerk my strength, and purchased a few months’ worth of contact lenses. Though my Spanish is rudimentary, the transaction took about 10 minutes.

Read: I, doctor

The ordeal led me to look into a fact that has puzzled me ever since I moved to the United States a dozen years ago. In every other country in which I’ve lived—Germany and Britain, France and Italy—it is far easier to buy glasses or contact lenses than it is here. In those countries, as in Peru, you can simply walk into an optician’s store and ask an employee to give you an eye test, likely free of charge. If you already know your strength, you can just tell them what you want. You can also buy contact lenses from the closest drugstore without having to talk to a single soul—no doctor’s prescription necessary.

So why does the United States require people who want to purchase something as simple as a curved piece of plastic to get a prescription, preceded by a costly medical exam?

The standard argument in favor of the American status quo is that impaired vision may point to serious health problems that a new pair of glasses will neither treat nor heal. Compelling Americans to see an optometrist helps to ensure that the largest possible number of cases of progressive eye diseases will be caught at an early stage.

As Barbara Horn, O.D., the president of the American Optometric Association (AOA), told me, “Today, at least 2.2 billion people around the world have a vision impairment, of whom at least 1 billion have a vision impairment that could have been prevented or has yet to be addressed … That’s why it’s clear to health experts, policymakers, the media, and the public that increased access to eye exams and eye doctors are needed to safeguard health and vision.”

But this argument rather begs the question. After all, the added cost of having to see an optometrist presumably stops many Americans from accessing the corrective lenses they need to improve their vision. Is the desirability of an eye exam performed by a medical professional a sufficient reason to prevent Americans who would rather not—or cannot—visit an optometrist from buying glasses and contacts? We can only answer this question by acknowledging a trade-off between competing goods.

On the one hand, some number of Americans who visit an optometrist to get a new prescription will indeed discover that they have a serious condition that requires immediate care. On the other hand, it is likely that a much greater number keep wearing glasses that are too weak—or won’t wear glasses at all—because they want to avoid the cost, time, or stress of a visit to a doctor.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...am/602482/

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2019, 05:30 PM
RE: The Great American Eye-Exam Scam
this is exactly why I buy all my contacts /get my exams overseas

I went to Korea and got my eyes checked in 15 min. ZERO COST if I buy glasses

in the US they make you pay 100-200 BUX EVERY YEAR to get your standard contacts or glasses

the greed in the US is OFF THE CHARTS

it's everywhere.

GREED.

MONEY MONEY MONEY

MAMMON..
12-18-2019, 05:32 PM
american veterinarians too..

WOW.. the GREED

i have witnessed crying teenagers in with their half dead pet.. and the admin there are like CREDIT CARD DEPOSIT FIRST OR NO GO!!!

where is the HUMANITY in USA?

THE LIABILITY CULTURE also prevents people from helping each other too!
12-18-2019, 05:41 PM
(12-18-2019 05:32 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  where is the HUMANITY in USA?

THE LIABILITY CULTURE also prevents people from helping each other too!

We should ask the Uyghurs where the humanity is in China?

Speaking of Liability Culture what happens if you hit somebody with your car in China but they don't die? I've read that the culture encourages you to kill them so you aren't stuck paying for them for life? Is this true, EY?
12-18-2019, 05:47 PM
I'm not talking about China..

China isn't a democratic country and I have mentioned many times they have gone in reverse with a lot of their policies.

I am comparing USA with other comparable countries like korea, Japan, Europe etc.

no eye exam scam. no vet scams.

people making honest livings.

in the US.. it seems like MOOLAH is the KING.. nickel and dime you.. death by a thousand fees
12-18-2019, 05:55 PM
also though in China you don't need a prescription to buy glasses or contacts

you go there and you just be like hey i'm -200 and they give you a pair

in the US they will not sell until you pay 200 bux for an EYE EXAM!!!!!
12-19-2019, 07:55 AM
USA is a RICH country which has created a clever system designed to benefit the ELITES financed by the peasantry.
12-19-2019, 08:22 AM
I SEE???!!!
12-21-2019, 03:56 AM
If you need reading glasses you can walk into any pharmacy and a buy a pair off the rack. The Atlantic makes things sound way more complex than they really are. Optometrist visits aren't all that expensive. Prescription glasses, unfortunately, are expensive. The answer is really in deregulation. It's ironic seeing a lefty outfit like The Atlantic making the case for free markets.
12-21-2019, 04:39 AM
probably not a bad idea to get the eyes checked once each year or so. It can be a form of preventative and early detection.

over the past couple of years I had noticed a change in my vision. So this year I made my first appointment to visit the eye doctor.

It was discovered that I have glaucoma and macular-degeneration. Good to know I guess. So now they can keep an 'eye'(heehee) on it Tongue
12-21-2019, 04:41 AM
of course maybe for those like BEZOS health-care is a non-issue....but for his toiling peasants, health can be a CO$TLY affair
12-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Any eye Dr will give you an exam for under 100 bucks. They give you a prescription that you can take with you. . You don't have to buy glasses there. They lense places are usually separate entities from the Dr who operates there.

I buy myself glasses from zenni.com. They sell some as low as 15 bucks. I get the ones I want, usually under 150.

I don't see the big deal.

--I Eat Grits--
12-21-2019, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2019 04:10 PM by pilgrim.)
Yeah I got 2 pair of bi-focal glasses with exam for a total of $169 last year. That doesn't seem outrageous at all to me. I picked out two different styles and have been happy with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Great Crypto Crash Chaos Reigns 107 9,922 02-20-2020 07:09 AM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Great Covers & Remixes Dick Tater 75 1,368 02-09-2020 09:13 AM
Last Post: Skookum Charlie
  MAKE ISRAEL GREAT AGAIN!!!!!! YES! BIGLY! pug-thug 32 4,276 08-24-2019 02:45 AM
Last Post: pilgrim
  The great american prison chain gang, inhumane pug-thug 45 4,829 07-11-2019 06:12 PM
Last Post: Katsumi