Login | Register

U.S. Senate Unanimously Passes Hong Kong Democracy Bill, Drawing China’s Ire
11-20-2019, 04:51 PM

The U.S. Senate unanimously passed a bill Tuesday aimed at supporting protesters in Hong Kong and warning China against a violent suppression of the demonstrations -- drawing a rebuke from Beijing.

China reiterated Wednesday a threat to impose unspecified retaliation if the bill became law and urged the U.S. to stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs. Ma Zhaoxu, vice minister of foreign affairs in Beijing, later summoned William Klein, a U.S. embassy official, and raised strong objections about the bill. Separately, Hong Kong’s government expressed “extreme regret” and the legislation would negatively impact relations with the U.S.

The vote marks a challenge to the government in Beijing just as the U.S. and China, the world’s largest economies, seek to close a preliminary agreement to end their trade war. The Senate measure would require the State Department to certify annually whether Hong Kong remains sufficiently autonomous from Beijing to justify special trade privileges, as well as protect U.S. citizens from rendition to China through measures including sanctions on mainland officials.

How the U.S. Congress Is Riling China Over Hong Kong: QuickTake

The bill’s passage, as well as China’s threat of retaliation, hit stocks around the globe. The Hang Seng Index lost as much as 1.1% Wednesday after surging 2.9% in two days, while U.S. stock index futures fell. Japan’s Topix index extended losses.

The legislation comes at a difficult time for President Donald Trump as his administration is trying to complete the first phase of a long-awaited trade deal with Chinese leader Xi Jinping. Vice President Mike Pence said Tuesday that it would be tough for the U.S. to sign a trade agreement with China if the demonstrations in Hong Kong are met with violence.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...protesters
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Posted on the extradition bill thread...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomac...kong-human

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
11-20-2019, 05:28 PM
RE: U.S. Senate Unanimously Passes Hong Kong Democracy Bill, Drawing China’s Ire
Needs a new thread, imo.

11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
RE: U.S. Senate Unanimously Passes Hong Kong Democracy Bill, Drawing China’s Ire
What's going on in China with Hong Kong it is world news. It's a very interesting thing happening in our world today. Basically it's the Hong Kong people fighting for freedom from mainland China.

This thread is about the US and how they're responding to what is happening in Hong Kong. I think that's a whole other subject. It's also interesting how the rest of the world will look at it also.

I wonder what China will do to retaliate? How far will all of this really go in the long run?
11-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Somehow China is gonna spin this into the West bullying China. Again.

11-20-2019, 10:25 PM
I wonder if it even means anything? Is it just posturing? Will there be sanctions?
11-21-2019, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 01:45 AM by pilgrim.)
China summons US diplomat, vows to retaliate if Donald Trump signs Hong Kong democracy act into law

Beijing calls on Washington to ‘stop the act becoming law’ after it is passed by Senate, with the US president retaining the right to sign or veto it
Support for the bill surges among senators amid a siege at a Hong Kong university campus

China summoned a senior United States diplomat on Wednesday as it warned it would retaliate if US President Donald Trump signed the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act into law, after the bill was passed by the US Senate.

In a statement, the Chinese foreign ministry said Foreign Vice-Minister Ma Zhaoxu had summoned William Klein, the US embassy’s minister counsellor for political affairs.

“China will take strong opposing measures, and the US has to bear all the consequences,” the statement said, after Congress’ upper chamber passed the bill – which could pave the way for diplomatic action and economic sanctions against Hong Kong’s government.

It was the second time China had summoned a US diplomat since anti-government protests in Hong Kong began five months ago, triggered by a now-withdrawn extradition bill that would have allowed the transfer of criminal suspects to mainland China’s opaque legal system.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomac...kong-human
11-21-2019, 01:54 AM
Clearly the u.s forgot about waco
11-21-2019, 02:33 AM
The Triads will probably get more work as the government might want the police to scale back on the beatings.

11-21-2019, 11:35 AM
(11-20-2019 08:57 PM)The Diet Butcher Wrote:  Somehow China is gonna spin this into the West bullying China. Again.

That is just their Communist rhetoric. Most people don't buy it.

What I want to know is the views of the people of Republic of China/Taiwan on this whole debacle.
11-21-2019, 04:40 PM
The Chinese want democracy and the US have mastered the art of spreading democracy far and wide.

Seems like a marriage made in heaven.
11-21-2019, 11:36 PM
(11-21-2019 04:40 PM)Skookum Charlie Wrote:  The Chinese want democracy and the US have mastered the art of spreading democracy far and wide.

I think people want freedom, and democracy is one way they can get to that. It's the closest thing to self-rule that seems to work even though it can become broken over time.
11-22-2019, 01:39 AM
(11-21-2019 11:36 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 04:40 PM)Skookum Charlie Wrote:  The Chinese want democracy and the US have mastered the art of spreading democracy far and wide.

I think people want freedom, and democracy is one way they can get to that. It's the closest thing to self-rule that seems to work even though it can become broken over time.

Democracy with Chinese characteristics?
11-22-2019, 02:04 AM
(11-22-2019 01:39 AM)The Diet Butcher Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 11:36 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  

Democracy with Chinese characteristics?

I'm not sure what that means, with Chinese characteristics?
I think people want freedom in some way shape or form. What do you think diet butcher? What do you think is driving the people of Hong Kong right now?
11-22-2019, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 03:08 AM by karasu.)
better to clean one's own closet before trying to tell others how to keep their house.

but what this is really about of course, is the typical political scheming and power-struggles, a chance to weaken a powerful competitor.....

and I also believe it's better to seek peace, make friends instead of enemies, a strategy which seems opposite of the USA modus operandi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NBA scramble after China angry by Houston Rockets' 'regrettable' pro-democracy tweet pilgrim 61 1,100 Today 04:59 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  1 million people in Hong Kong protest Extradition Law pug-thug 266 8,259 12-08-2019 08:11 PM
Last Post: The Diet Butcher
  Hong Kong police shoots protesters in street pilgrim 17 312 11-20-2019 05:06 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Stylish Hong Kong Police pug-thug 15 327 10-05-2019 05:30 AM
Last Post: pug-thug