Login | Register

Rugby World Cup
10-07-2019, 05:35 AM
Rugby World Cup
I have never followed the sport but have observed a bit of the matches going on in the current Rugby World Cup tournament and seems to have the International feel about it that USA football lacks.

France looks menacing with a very speedy aggressive form of play. They must have an impressive endurance. That would be intimidating.

Of course the Polynesian chaps look as if they were designed for the sport.

I see that Australian and Japan are doing well, USA not so much.

how are my extremely novice impressions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2019, 06:22 AM
RE: Rugby World Cup
Japan is doing great..

wrecked Ireland and Samoa!
10-07-2019, 06:22 AM
USA football is whack. not intl at all

Americans don't want to compete on the world stage.. and when they do with shit like baseball, they LOSE
10-07-2019, 06:29 AM
(10-07-2019 06:22 AM)pug-thug Wrote:  USA football is whack. not intl at all

Americans don't want to compete on the world stage.. and when they do with shit like baseball, they LOSE

You manage to work your US bashing into most posts now. Why even live in the US if you dislike it so much?
10-07-2019, 06:31 AM
(10-07-2019 05:35 AM)karasu Wrote:  I have never followed the sport but have observed a bit of the matches going on in the current Rugby World Cup tournament and seems to have the International feel about it that USA football lacks.

France looks menacing with a very speedy aggressive form of play. They must have an impressive endurance. That would be intimidating.

Of course the Polynesian chaps look as if they were designed for the sport.

I see that Australian and Japan are doing well, USA not so much.

how are my extremely novice impressions?

I don't know much about Rugby and can't say I've ever watched a game. I no so little about it I don't even know how they score. Looks like a sport not for the faint of heart.
10-07-2019, 08:13 AM
(10-07-2019 06:29 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  

You manage to work your US bashing into most posts now. Why even live in the US if you dislike it so much?

I must be upright here, I am well a raskal and often cannot help a bit of mischief-making and expected pug to chime in with his commentary which I imagine he knows will give me a good chuckle, so I accept some blame in this devilry Big Grin
10-07-2019, 08:17 AM
(10-07-2019 08:13 AM)karasu Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 06:29 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  

I must be upright here, I am well a raskal and often cannot help a bit of mischief-making and expected pug to chime in with his commentary which I imagine he knows will give me a good chuckle, so I accept some blame in this devilry Big Grin

[Image: 2IxiYVX.gif]
10-07-2019, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2019 08:41 AM by karasu.)
interesting review and cultural observation:

"Count me among the many who have drifted away from the NFL, for all the reasons your readers have named: cheap patriotism, endless games, nitpicky rules unevenly enforced, CTE CTE CTE. This as a Pats fan who for most of the 2000s was riding a high.

I also join reader Ed in switching my interest to rugby, in the limited way I can with a basic cable contract. The constant action and amazing athleticism is one reason. An equal one is the “culture of respect” that’s one of the game’s foundations and most carefully guarded traditions. Players rarely deliberately hurt one another; when they do, they are banned for months on end. Their infrequent scuffles are in the wrestling/bristling mode, not punching with venom.

And, crucially, the referee is The Law—and more in the Solomonic than the Draconian mode. Disputes and fouls are resolved swiftly, fairly, and decisively. This supercut of the legendary Welsh ref Nigel Owens explains the appeal of this approach, versus the NFL’s endless rulebook, far better than I can.

With a word (“Christopher!”) he ends a debate full-stop (and gets a schoolboy's meek “Sorry, sir” from a mountain of a man). After breaking up a big scuffle, he has the captains call all the players to him, puts out the flames, and resets the order of play, all while keeping the game’s competitive spirit firmly in the players’ hands:

I don’t want to make a big issue of this, OK? But things like that are not acceptable in the game. What happened here or what happened afterwards, I did not see it. It ends there. Is that clear? You’re adults. You’ll be treated like it as long as you behave like it. We’re going to go back to the original penalty down there."-----

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/10/rugby/504143/
10-07-2019, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2019 08:46 AM by pilgrim.)
Good insight but the guy is comparing apples to oranges. The NFL is a billion dollar industry which makes millionaires out of it's players. Money corrupts and changes the foundational nature of the game. It loses a lot of it's purity.

I personally gave up on the NFL years ago. I watch MMA and still some NBA but am growing tired of it since it's no longer the game I grew up with. It's also another billion dollar industry filled with entitled idiots and I hate the NBA culture.

I'm finding that as I grew older I no longer really enjoyed watching spectator sports as much. MMA is still entertaining but the UFC has managed to water it down and bring money into it for themselves and not the fighters. I remember my dad loving sports but losing interest as he grew older. That's kind of where I am now also. Too many other interesting things to focus on besides watching others play. My time could be better spent on a walkabout studing nature or maybe even spend time visiting ring tail lemurs.
10-07-2019, 08:59 AM
(10-07-2019 08:44 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  Good insight but the guy is comparing apples to oranges. The NFL is a billion dollar industry which makes millionaires out of it's players. Money corrupts and changes the foundational nature of the game. It loses a lot of it's purity.

I personally gave up on the NFL years ago. I watch MMA and still some NBA but am growing tired of it since it's no longer the game I grew up with. It's also another billion dollar industry filled with entitled idiots and I hate the NBA culture.

I'm finding that as I grew older I no longer really enjoyed watching spectator sports as much. MMA is still entertaining but the UFC has managed to water it down and bring money into it for themselves and not the fighters. I remember my dad loving sports but losing interest as he grew older. That's kind of where I am now also. Too many other interesting things to focus on besides watching others play. My time could be better spent on a walkabout studing nature or maybe even spend time visiting ring tail lemurs.

It is much the same with me and sporting interest and also another reason why I enjoy reading these running novels because it is more near a personal spiritual endeavor which inspires me to maintain the walking habit.

I discovered the Rugby World Cup was playing and it filled the role as one of those mindless entertainments which helps one to quickly drift off to sleep.....

these days violence has little appeal to me so I can see the value of sports like Rugby and Grappling Judo/Mongolian/Turkish/Olympic where it satisfies the physical expression of aggression while maintaining/inspiring a culture of professionalism where malicious violence is discouraged promoting instead gentlemanly sportsmanship and character.

And it's very good when nations can come together in friendly competition and perhaps enjoy a beer together after the game, make sport not WAR Big Grin
10-07-2019, 01:48 PM
I don't follow rugby but everytime I see it I like it. Same with Aussie rules football. I think they are better than American football and soccer.

! This post was funded by the goverment of the Russian Federation !
10-07-2019, 02:56 PM
really tough and entertaining and sport.

wow!

Cool graphic design with the logos at the end too

10-07-2019, 07:05 PM
very entertaining game!!!

10-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Japan continues to DOMINATE

10-13-2019, 07:03 AM
(10-11-2019 09:19 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  Japan continues to DOMINATE

I think the Japs and Ruskies have a history where there is a bit of rivalry among these two Nations

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Qatar Corruption. Asian Cup thread. Game Rigging. READ pug-thug 46 2,382 02-08-2019 05:50 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  World Cup - Russia 2018 Discussion pug-thug 406 23,802 07-24-2018 06:14 AM
Last Post: pug-thug
  russia improved PR massively with this world cup pug-thug 12 1,427 07-16-2018 08:25 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  Japan have disgraced themselves after this world cup match pug-thug 33 2,834 07-07-2018 02:31 PM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns