09-28-2019, 07:59 PM
The Essence of Mindfulness & ALL Spirituality | Eckhart Tolle
seems like a good soul this fellow

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2019, 02:27 AM
RE: The Essence of Mindfulness & ALL Spirituality | Eckhart Tolle
Our mind is definitely the battle ground. Consider that the actual battlefield.

2 Corinthians 10:5

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ
09-29-2019, 02:56 PM
What Tolle Is Not:

Eckhart Tolle is not a Christian theologian or teacher.
He is not teaching Christian contemplative prayer or Christian prayer at all.
He is not teaching any dogmas or doctrines as such.
He is not presuming or teaching that there is a personal/relational God (but neither is he denying it).
He is not a proponent of the social, communitarian nature of religion.

What Tolle is Doing:

Eckhart Tolle is teaching a form of natural mysticism or contemplative practice.
He is teaching a morality and asceticism of recognizing and letting go of "the self that has to die" (Matthew 16:25), which he calls ego and Jesus calls the "grain of wheat" (John 12:24) ; so that another self can be born, which he would call "consciousness" and we would call the person born again in Christ, or something similar.
He is giving us some practices (Similar to how John Wesley gave "methods" or Ignatius gave "exercises") whereby we can be present to the grace of the moment and stop the "passions," the "egocentric mind," or the "prideful self" which keeps us from true goodness (or God, as we would call it). Each tradition uses different language for what is to be overcome, but it is always some form of "un-love" and selfishness (which he calls ego). TOLLE IS NOT ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE ANYTHING. HE IS ASKING YOU TO TRY SOMETHING! You will know if it is true, if you try it, and you will not know if it is true or false, if you don't try it. No point in arguing it theoretically or in the abstract.
He does assume and imply a worldview that is foreign to many, if not most Christians. For Tolle, Being, Consciousness, God, Reality are all the same thing, which is not all bad, when you come to think of it. Of course, his very point is that you cannot think of it at all, you can only realize it. I would not call him pantheistic (all things are God) as much as panentheistic (God is IN all things).
His brilliant understanding of the "pain body," as he calls it, is actually very close to the Catholic notion of Original Sin, and does give a corporate, communitarian, mystical understanding to religion. We are all in this together, and share one another's pain. I'm not sure he makes clear how we share one another' joy, except that he tends to create very "low maintenance" people who can relax and enjoy life.

https://www.eckharttollenow.com/article/...-Tradition
09-30-2019, 04:24 AM
Seems cool that he would do an interview with the Rubin Report.
09-30-2019, 04:35 AM
In Catholicism, after confession, sometimes the priest would instruct us to go do something like say a hundred Hail Mary's.

The main purpose of this is to override the thinking mind and connect to the dimension of stillness or beingness that lies beneath is.

Similar to a mantra or some other thing.

The experience of this dimension is one of great bliss or peace.

A place where one can feel the place of our Father's Kingdom within us.

In this moment, one realizes that they are okay and that they are never alone. No matter what might be going on outside of themself.
09-30-2019, 04:44 AM
The prayer that says "give me this" or "give me that" or "fix this and make everything okay" is not real prayer.

Real prayer is finding that silence and surrendering to God.

And surrendering to God means gives up the desires of the mind connecting to Being.

Through this connection, this new identification, we are born again.

We belong to God's Kingdom first, and the world second. In the world but not of the world.
09-30-2019, 04:46 AM
(09-30-2019 04:44 AM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  The prayer that says "give me this" or "give me that" or "fix this and make everything okay" is not real prayer.

And surrendering to God means gives up the desires of the mind connecting to Being.

We belong to God's Kingdom first, and the world second. In the world but not of the world.

that's only true if you have accepted Jesus Christ and are born again. Then you are a citizen of God's kingdom. If you're not born again then you're a citizen of Satan's kingdom still.
09-30-2019, 04:48 AM
(09-30-2019 04:46 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  
(09-30-2019 04:44 AM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  The prayer that says "give me this" or "give me that" or "fix this and make everything okay" is not real prayer.

that's only true if you have accepted Jesus Christ and are born again. Then you are a citizen of God's kingdom. If you're not born again then you're a citizen of Satan's kingdom still.

Can you explain what you mean by "born again"?

"If you don't love all, you love no one" - Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson
09-30-2019, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2019 04:57 AM by pilgrim.)
(09-30-2019 04:48 AM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  

being born again is when your spirit is recreated and reconnected to God the father. That only happens when you receive Christ Jesus and his completed work on the cross. Then you have Christ's righteousness.

when Adam and Eve were in the garden God told him you'll surely die if you eat that fruit. Will they ate it but they didn't physically die, they spiritually died and they lost their connection to God. Being born again restores what was lost in the garden of Eden.

In John 3:3, Jesus explained being born again.

John 3:3-12: "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?"
09-30-2019, 05:05 AM
I have been reading his "Power of Now" book on/off for the past year. Sometimes I'm a "Believer" and other times a "Doubting Thomas" perhaps depending on my emotional condition at the time I guess, which is why the "On/Off" irregularity of reading.
09-30-2019, 05:10 AM
(09-30-2019 04:55 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  
(09-30-2019 04:48 AM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  

being born again is when your spirit is recreated and reconnected to God the father. That only happens when you receive Christ Jesus and his completed work on the cross. Then you have Christ's righteousness.

when Adam and Eve were in the garden God told him you'll surely die if you eat that fruit. Will they ate it but they didn't physically die, they spiritually died and they lost their connection to God. Being born again restores what was lost in the garden of Eden.

In John 3:3, Jesus explained being born again.

John 3:3-12: "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?"

I would agree with all of that.

"If you don't love all, you love no one" - Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson
09-30-2019, 05:55 AM
(09-30-2019 04:24 AM)THE_DEAN Wrote:  Seems cool that he would do an interview with the Rubin Report.

I guess Eckhart is now part of the so-called intellectual dark web

Those who know, know! Big Grin
09-30-2019, 03:07 PM
Eckhart Tolle is on the Rich Man’s List. Is this the price of enlightenment?

Mind the Gap

Is there a growing gap between the teachings of Eckhart Tolle and his immense wealth? Is this the price of enlightenment? Eckhart speaks regularly of the illusions people live in. But is he aware of the disillusionment that people feel when spiritual teachers become incredibly wealthy?

Eckhart and Kim Eng charged $995.00 (£600, €725) for their tuition of participants for their five day retreat, plus sales of books, DVDs, calendars and so on. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to work out how much money they receive if 500 attended. They could have made for themselves about half a million dollars in five days.

Participants booked through Eckhart Teachings to pay to stay in nearby hotels, ranging from $500 to $1000 for the five nights – a walking distance to the huge conference hall to listen to Eckhart. If participants make their own housing arrangements, then they pay Eckhart Teachings, a “commuter fee of $295 including meals and yoga mat.”

Eckhart gave a two day retreat in Australia in 2011 to hundreds of people. Eckhart charged $695.00 for two days of intuition. It’s seems to be a money spinning guide to enlightenment.

Yes, his teachings are freely available on YouTube, as his followers regularly point out. This is welcome. Yet, there is no substitute for being in the presence of a teacher. Direct oral teachings resonate more deeply than watching on screen.

Why can’t wealthy spiritual teachers enable the poor to attend their live programmes? Are they obedient to the will of those who run their foundations and business enterprises?-----

https://www.christophertitmussblog.org/e...ightenment
09-30-2019, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2019 03:23 PM by karasu.)
Eckhart Tolle criticism
Here you will find Master Eckhart Tolle’s quirks, inconsistencies, errors, problems, contradictions, mistakes, imperfections.

Eckhart Tolle is one of my highly esteemed sages/enlightened ones. After Yolande Durant, I consider him to be one of the most advanced ones. But unfortunately, that by no means implies that Eckhart Tolle is never mistaken.

The purpose of this website is to show the average searcher, that the teachings of enlightened people are full of speculations and errors (which they themselves often cannot recognize). I point out that also their egolessness is far from being complete. Since this shows that their teachings are not complete either. In short, you cannot rely 100% on their spiritual analysis, advice, and tips by any means.

Criticism: Eckhart Tolle has "I" -Relapses

If you go to YouTube (or to his website) and look closely at some of his videos, you can recognize that he sometimes abruptly closes the upper lip over the upper teeth when laughing. One cannot help thinking that he is trying to hide misaligned teeth. For the sake of heaven, there is nothing wrong with it. But how can an “Ego-free-one" be ashamed if there is no "I" left, which may be ashamed? Shame can only arise when an "I", an identification with an apparent person, still exists.

Criticism: Eckhart Tolle must still have a fear of the future

Eckhart Tolle is one of the few enlightened ones, who married after his awakening. If I do not have any fear of life and its vagaries left, why do I marry then? In a marriage, an object-love is transformed into a contractual relationship. All the reasons to marry have, in the final analysis, to do with fear.

(Muni replied to the question as to why he had married: "At that time I was not yet conscious enough") This sheds light on Eckhart Tolle’s degree of realization.(this made me chuckle Anyone which SUFFERS the MISERIES of an Oriental woman will say "I was not conscious when I met her" LOL)

Criticism of Eckhart Tolle: He markets his wife too much

If you look at Eckhart Tolle’s marketing machine, then it has an appearance like that of Anthony Robbins. Within 27 days, I counted 10 e-mails from "Eckhart Teachings" in my mail inbox. It is true that it sometimes looks like a Wal-Mart advertising, but so be it. But when I see then how he tries to promote his wife Kim Eng in almost each of his newsletter, it shakes me. Kim Eng gives yoga classes. There is nothing wrong with that. But that is firstly shallow-water-spirituality. And secondly, it reminds me then too much of all these motivational speakers, who promote their wives (who then usually give something like "etiquette courses".)------

https://www.poehm.com/en/eckhart-tolle-criticism/
09-30-2019, 03:33 PM
I do not wish the above posts to suggest a negative impression or that I do not like Mr. Tolle. The posts were simply an example to inspire constructive contemplation. In fact I find Mr. Tolle to be an intriguing fellow and believe there is value in his teachings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [spirituality] Ramana Maharshi pug-thug 23 10,176 07-02-2014 03:22 PM
Last Post: pug-thug