Login | Register

Japan korea trade war heating up
07-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Japan korea trade war heating up
[Image: 651c66be-a15e-11e9-9a3c-98259c87fba2_132...122535.jpg]

South Korean demonstrators urge a boycott of Japanese goods. Photo: EPASouth Korean demonstrators urge a boycott of Japanese goods. Photo: EPA
South Korean demonstrators urge a boycott of Japanese goods. Photo: EPA
South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Monday warned Japan’s new export curbs on hi-tech materials threatened global supply networks of semiconductor chips and smartphone displays, and insisted Seoul could yet enact countermeasures.
In his first comments since Tokyo last week announced export restrictions from July 4, Moon said: “The recent trade restrictions by Japan have sparked concerns over feared production disruptions at our companies, which would in turn threaten the global supply networks.
“Such moves putting restrictions on private companies’ mutually beneficial transactions for political purposes cause concern not only to South Korea but to the whole world.”
Japan-South Korea ‘trade war’: has Tokyo shot itself in foot?
He said Seoul preferred “a diplomatic settlement” as tit-for-tat measures were undesirable for both countries.
“But if real damage occurs to South Korean companies, it would force the government’s hand and the government would have to take necessary countermeasures. I don’t want to see this happen,” he said. “I urge Japan to withdraw the curbs and call for sincere talks between the two countries. I hope Japan return to the principle of free trade that it has always been emphasising.”
Over the weekend, South Korea’s government and top electronics firms scrambled to address the situation. Samsung Electronics vice-chairman Lee Jae-yong travelled to Japan on Sunday to discuss the tighter controls with local business leaders, Yonhap reported.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopoliti...rce-seouls

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2019, 01:34 PM
RE: Japan korea trade war heating up
Quote:The Japan News Network said a survey it carried out found 58 per cent of respondents approved of Tokyo’s policy, compared with 24 per cent who did not.
Meanwhile, the hashtag #BoycottJapan has been trending in South Korea, and social media has been buzz with anti-Japan sentiment and calls to shun Japanese products.
More than 2,400 public posts with hashtag #BoycottJapan have been shared on Instagram since the measures were imposed, with some including a picture using Japan’s red rising sun icon as “O” in the word “No”. “NO, Boycott Japan: Don’t go, don’t buy,” it says.

South Korea is Japan’s third-largest export market, worth 5.79 trillion yen (US$53.4 billion) in trade last year.
In recent days, South Korean internet users have been sharing cancellation confirmations for flights to Tokyo, Osaka and other popular travel destinations. South Koreans make up 13 per cent of spending by foreign tourists in Japan, according to the Japan Tourism Agency, or 584.2 billion yen in 2018.
Explained: the legacy of war in Asia
The Korean Supermarkets Alliance, an organisation representing more than 23,000 stores, said it would temporarily halt sales of Japanese products, including Asahi and Kirin beer, and Japan Tobacco’s Mild Seven cigarettes.
“We will fight Japan’s attitude toward its wartime history and retaliatory measures,” association president Lim Won-bae said.
07-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Puggy not doing the usual due diligence.

Quote:“We will fight Japan’s attitude toward its wartime history and retaliatory measures,” association president Lim Won-bae said.

Association of what?

Before you quote a source you must verify a source.
07-11-2019, 06:09 PM
I posted an article Katsumi

I didn't quote a source.

The trade war is real. Deal with it.
07-11-2019, 06:15 PM
[Image: _w850.jpg]
07-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Japan takes a page from Trump vs. Huawei. SK is shitting in their pants now

07-11-2019, 08:12 PM
(07-11-2019 06:09 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  I didn't quote a source.

You made it up. As usual.
07-11-2019, 08:25 PM
I posted an article.

what don't u understand?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I fucking love Japan (pics) Shahanshah 25 11,727 07-16-2019 10:20 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  US-China trade war is a gift that keeps on giving for Vietnam pug-thug 6 302 05-21-2019 07:46 PM
  Amazing. ONE WORLD trade center. 1776 and 1792 ft tall pug-thug 9 1,816 02-06-2019 11:18 AM
  korea only pays less than a billion for 33,000 US troops stationed pug-thug 0 443 01-26-2019 01:11 PM