Login | Register

Music, Anti-Music, Race & Music, and Identifying ‘Soulless’ People
06-26-2019, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2019 05:59 AM by Dick Tater.)
Music, Anti-Music, Race & Music, and Identifying ‘Soulless’ People
In this thread, I’ll be sharing some of my thoughts on the aforementioned topics.

It will be interesting to see if anyone shares any of my opinions or experiences on these topics.

Before I begin, a few definition of terms:

Soulless to Soulful on a Scale of 1 to 10 Using Music As A Proxy
• Soulless People = 0 = Completely Emotionally Unmoved By Music
• Soulful People = 10 = Intensely Emotionally Sensitive To Music

Of course, it’s a question of degree. Few people are completely soulless or soulful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2019, 05:46 AM
RE: Music, Anti-Music, Race & Music, and Identifying ‘Soulless’ People
I’ll leave this post blank for now. If the thread ever gets long enough, I’ll use it as a table of contents.
06-26-2019, 05:49 AM
A Simple Way To Easily Identify ‘Soul-less’ People

When it comes to music, soul-less people care (much) more about lyrics than the actual music because they are incapable of connecting to music on a deeply emotional/spiritual level the way more soul-ful people are. They are literally broken inside compared to more soul-ful people.

Put simply, (great) lyrics can’t even begin to compare to (great) music when it comes to moving unbroken people emotionally and spiritually.

Only people who are broken inside (for example, they’ve never or rarely gotten goose bumps from listening to music) would argue that lyrics are on the same level as music. If they were, movie soundtracks would be completely unnecessary.

While the first three examples that follow involve white people, this is not necessarily about race. IMO, Jazz and Rap ‘music’ are proof that not all black people are ‘soul-ful’. I would go so far as to say that most Jazz (Miles Davis type) and Rap, especially contemporary ‘mumble’ rap, are Anti-Music which I’ll get into in future posts…
06-26-2019, 05:51 AM
Don't understand why you link spirituality with emotionalness.

“Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.”
― Confucius
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2019, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2019 01:41 AM by Dick Tater.)
How ‘Soul-less’ People Unwittingly Out Themselves. Example 1

Two old friends (one male, one female who didn’t know each other) had virtually the same remark when they heard the same song at my home on separate visits; “this song is so tacky.”

I was shocked. It’s easy to dismiss one person’s opinion but it’s harder to dismiss the opinions of 2 different people that are virtually identical.

I racked my brain trying to figure out what made them think the song was ‘tacky’ and then it hit me: the lyrics, duh! If I thought about it, I could see their point, but I’d never even noticed the lyrics were kind of corny because the music had such a profoundly positive emotional effect on me.

Unless they’re so offensive or badly written that they interfere with the emotional impact of the song, I simply couldn’t care less about lyrics. For me, lyrics are just a string that you hang great harmonies, emotions, and/or vocals on.

I have absolutely no idea what ~50 of my favorite songs are about because they are Russian, Romanian, Italian etc. and it simply Does. Not. Matter. What matters most is how much music affects me emotionally…
06-26-2019, 05:52 AM
What about Opera??

― Confucius
06-26-2019, 05:55 AM
How ‘Soul-less’ People Unwittingly Out Themselves. Example 2

Unless you’re broken inside, music completely bypasses the intellect and either affects you on a (deeply) emotional or spiritual level (good to great songs) or it doesn’t (garbage to OK songs).

To the degree that you’re broken inside, you’ll care more about social or intellectual aspects of the song that otherwise wouldn’t matter much, if at all, to you like the lyrics, or race, sexual orientation, genre, popularity of the artist etc...

I played a music video of a song for an old friend and this was his reaction: “That guy’s a f*g.”

In my mind, I was like, “WTF does it matter if he’s gay or not?”

The actual songs in question are completely irrelevant. The point is, with their comments, the 3 people in the preceding examples unwittingly outed themselves as people who don’t have a (strong) emotional connection to music because I dare say that NOBODY who does would ever make such comments. Their primary response to a new song would be along the lines of “I love it”, “It does nothing for me”, “I hate it.” etc. ‘It’ being about the music, of course.
06-26-2019, 06:02 AM
How ‘Soul-less’ People Unwittingly Out Themselves. Example 3

I looked through the CD collection of a girlfriend at the time and out of at least 200 CDs she did not have a single one of a non-white artist. Only racists and soulless freaks would fail to realize how abnormal that is. Needless to say, she didn’t stay my GF for long.

For the record, the majority of my favorite songs are by white artists, in part because the best genres created by black people - including rock, dance, R&B, and hip hop - has been, or is in the process of being, hijacked by the culture vultures. Despite that, at least 20% of my favorite songs are by black artists.
06-26-2019, 06:03 AM
You need to be capable of all three aspects of the trinity aka the trivium: emotion, logic, and ethics, in order to understand God the creator. The same should apply to divinely inspired works of art.

How is that for emotion?

― Confucius
06-26-2019, 06:07 AM
I would argue that broken people have the biggest response to music. Especially black magick.

― Confucius
06-26-2019, 06:14 AM
(06-26-2019 05:51 AM)jho Wrote:  Don't understand why you link spirituality with emotionalness.

At the very highest level, intense emotional experiences often transition to the spiritual. For example, at the very highest level, amazing sex transitions from peak physical and emotional sensations to almost spiritual ecstasy, even without drugs.

As pug-thug likes to say, those who know, know.
06-26-2019, 06:18 AM
dopamine & oxytocin are more powerful than many drugs.

― Confucius
06-26-2019, 06:20 AM
(06-26-2019 05:52 AM)jho Wrote:  What about Opera??

I've never been to an Opera so I have no opinion on that based on experience but I can imagine that it might be chill-inducing to hear an exceptionally talented opera singer sing.

I'll discuss why I dislike most Opera and classical music in a later post. By 'dislike' I mean that, at best, most of it does nothing for me emotionally.
06-26-2019, 06:33 AM
Agree with you about instrumental music being more emotional /deep however the voice itself is an instrument

it's a highly tuned and flexible monophonic instrument

that's the way I see vocals
06-26-2019, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2019 07:05 AM by Dick Tater.)
(06-26-2019 06:33 AM)pug-thug Wrote:  Agree with you about instrumental music being more emotional /deep however the voice itself is an instrument

it's a highly tuned and flexible monophonic instrument

that's the way I see vocals

You misunderstood my posts.

As I wrote in the 5th post of this thread: "For me, lyrics are just a string that you hang great harmonies, emotions, and/or vocals on."

Not caring about lyrics in no way means that I don't care about the voice. Quite the contrary. My favorite instruments, in order of priority:

- Human Voice / Singing
- Piano
- Guitar (electric)
- Guitar (acoustic - Spanish)
- Guitar (acoustic - regular)
- Cello
- Violin
- Drums / Bass (should be taken as a unit)

Out of ~2000 songs, I only have 36 that are instrumentals. IMO, aside from bass & drums, the instruments listed above come close, but nothing beats the human voice singing for conveying emotion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Electronic Music - Elektronische Musik - エレクトロニカ - EDM - 電子音楽 pug-thug 1,399 205,568 11-16-2019 02:44 AM
Last Post: Glimmer
  GLP poll on which race is the most discriminated against today pug-thug 12 293 11-14-2019 08:46 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  Hillary to enter the race for 2020? Redneck 48 525 11-14-2019 04:06 AM
Last Post: karasu
  Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. DONG JOHNSON 603 172,325 11-07-2019 07:49 PM
Last Post: The Diet Butcher