Login | Register

Game of Thrones discussion thread
05-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Game of Thrones discussion thread
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgoingconcern.com%2Fwp-c...mp;amp;f=1]

I haven't really watched since probably... Season 2? Maybe mid-season 3.

I was paying attention (reading criticisms, post-show) for the last few episodes. I have had a feeling for quite a while it was going to be a hot mess, but wow, looks like they outdid themselves with their 'subversion of expectations'.

The dwarf and the cripple in charge, with the white man forbidden from having children, the white woman is insane, and there is a queen in the north.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2019, 06:52 PM
RE: Game of Thrones discussion thread
I somehow got sucked into this show from season 1 and I have followed it ever since.

SPOILER ALERT

There has been a lot of criticism of this season and it's writing, and the first war with the dead was heavily criticised, especially the battle strategy used, and the fact that Arya killed the Night King rather than Jon Snow. But I was still sort of enjoying the season, until the final two episodes.

There seemed to be no point in building up many of the characters over 8 seasons, only to have them die meaninglessly in an accident like the Lannister siblings, why was Jon Snow a Targaryan-Stark, the real meaning of fire and ice, if he wasn't going to end up on the throne? Why did the Unsullied and the Dothraki happily allow the brother of their Queen's assassin to become the new king? The Dothraki would once have never allowed a cripple to be their leader.

The ending sucked, Jon Snow returns to the wall where he was since Season 1, his Dragon flew off into the sunset never to be seen again, the Lanisters are dead but no one got to kill them, Arya is going off to find herself, Sansa is the Queen of the North even though the people of the North want Jon Snow as their King.

The season seemed to be overly rushed and the writers seemed to be more focused on trying to wrap up each character rather than to devise a fitting and popular finale to the story.
05-21-2019, 07:00 PM
try watching the new avengers, chalk full of cultural, social subversion/engineering

the 3D though I must admit was off the chain. really well done

aesthetically still terrible as usually with HOLLYWEIRD
05-21-2019, 07:29 PM
(05-21-2019 07:00 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  try watching the new avengers, chalk full of cultural, social subversion/engineering

the 3D though I must admit was off the chain. really well done

aesthetically still terrible as usually with HOLLYWEIRD

I think that both of these highly promoted shows contained a lot of cultural, social subversion/engineering.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
05-21-2019, 07:35 PM
it's just way over the top now...

it's no longer subliminal.. it's overt and people aren't calling it out
05-21-2019, 07:36 PM
thx for the review.. I have never watched GOT and don't plan to either

with this type of popularity level, I already know it's going to be full of subversion
05-21-2019, 07:40 PM
in the avengers all of the dude characters were cat fighting, while the female characters were stoic and composed

all the male super heroes were flawed

it's just too obvious what they are doing.

I have never felt more distance between males and females than today

people REFUSE TO SEE THE REALITY!
05-22-2019, 01:39 AM
Honestly, they should have put the series on hold until George RR Martin finished his actual story. Money prevented them from doing that, so they charged ahead and hastily finished. A great portrait ruined by a crayon finish. Oh well. My cable bill just got $15/mo lighter.

“Reality denied comes back to haunt.”
― Philip K. Dick, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
05-22-2019, 02:59 AM
Fun fact, in the heyday of the Byzantine empire they used to BLIND people and cut off their noses (and ears sometimes) because if you were disabled and/or mutilated, you weren't eligible to the crown.

The Ottomans just changed that to 'you can't rule if you are dead', although they still had very specific rules over how a royal family member could be killed (i.e. their blood couldn't be spilled, so they had to be strangled, generally speaking).

The whole thing just strikes me as people not understanding what the role of a king was. I mean, sure, its a fantasy setting. But it is supposed to be roughly 1250-1300 AD tech, but with zombies and dragons, isn't it? And at that time, the role of a king was to LEAD the army. Yes, there were some other duties, like foreign policy, but they weren't concerned with administration or nation building. It was the Church (specifically monastic orders) that were building schools, hospitals, orphanages, monasteries for widows and war veterans.

You had one job, either win the war, or keep the peace, or portray strength in order to prevent war.

Jamie Lannister would have likely won any real election, if he killed Cersei and possibly Daenerys. First because he is taller than Jon Snow, lets get real, and second, in these elections it was rather common to choose a 'weakish' King, someone who could get the job done, but not necessarily the most popular or richest (because that would infringe on the other nobles, if one family/individual got too wealthy or powerful). So Jamie would have had just enough dirt on him to get elected, and Jon Snow would have been considered slightly too popular a choice.
05-26-2019, 03:21 AM
I gotta say that I got a chuckle out of everyone laughing at Sam for suggesting democracy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SYRIA - Discussion Thread BRIC Countries 2,953 700,486 11-12-2019 11:21 PM
Last Post: Skookum Charlie
  ISRAEL - Discussion Thread BRIC Countries 237 56,006 11-02-2019 05:56 PM
Last Post: Skookum Charlie
  Interesting Read, 2 Elements 4 discussion karasu 7 212 09-11-2019 05:11 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Game of Death Cartoon Cool karasu 0 219 08-04-2019 03:54 PM
Last Post: karasu