Login | Register

Gracie Family Wall-of-Shame Thread
03-13-2019, 03:08 AM
Gracie Family Wall-of-Shame Thread
Yes, we already have a lot of threads about shameful Gracie stuffs, but that's because there is so much of it out there. I wanted to make a thread dedicated to the sketchy matchmaking practices and special rules that brought them to global Martial Arts domination by the 1990's.

Everyone already knows about Helio and Masahiko Kimura, but here is a lesser known challenge match with an unbelievable ending.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2019, 03:23 AM
RE: Gracie Family Wall-of-Shame Thread
youtube comment Wrote:Daniel Holley
5 months ago
Here's patriarch Helio Gracie's shockingly dishonest account of the (for lack of a better word) lynching of Rufino dos Santos:

“It was 66 years ago that I was involved in my biggest trouble. A famous fighter in Brazil (a former Luta Livre Champion) Manoel Rufino dos Santos, said that he was going to show the world that we Gracies were nothing. It was at the Tijuca Tennis Club of Rio that I gave my answer to him. I arrived and said "I came to answer the declaration that you made." He threw a punch and I took him to the ground, with two fractures of his head, and a broken clavicle, and blood spurting out. But it was a foolish act that I did. Today I would never repeat such a thing."

I've been practicing BJJ for about 16 years, but I don't have a shred of respect for the ignoble thugs credited with founding the art.
03-13-2019, 03:36 AM
https://www.bjjee.com/articles/top-10-gr...n-history/ Wrote:Carlos, Helio and George Gracie in Prison

[Image: 1933-300x239.png]

In 1934, brothers Carlos, George and Helio Gracie spent a week in jail. The 3 Gracies had been accused of attacking a former challenger in the street, Manuel Rufino, who then had placed charges against the Gracie brothers.

The 3 brothers were eventually freed after the court didn’t find enough evidence or witnesses.
03-14-2019, 07:53 AM
they got presidential pardon for kicking some dude's ass in a street fight lol. The Gracies were like the Freemasons of Brazil in the 1930s.
03-14-2019, 08:10 AM
(03-14-2019 07:53 AM)CTsar Wrote:  they got presidential pardon for kicking some dude's ass in a street fight lol. The Gracies were like the Freemasons of Brazil in the 1930s.

The story is that the Presidents son was training at a Gracie school in Rio at the time, but this part of the story hasn't been confirmed so it was excluded from the video.

It seems like the Gracie mafia has always had a knack for attracting the powerful and influential. This is exactly what Rorion did when he moved to LA; he didn't tap into America huge athletic talent pool to create future world-champions, he invited in fat, wealthy, nonathletic businessmen into his school for private lessons, and made them feel like badasses. It payed dividends in just a few short years.
03-14-2019, 10:26 AM
From Hollywood housekeeper to this, to coaching Mel Gibson and Al Bundy. Social climbing is as much of a science to them as the Diet and Jujitsu.

03-16-2019, 04:50 PM
(03-13-2019 03:36 AM)kungfool Wrote:  
https://www.bjjee.com/articles/top-10-gr...n-history/ Wrote:Carlos, Helio and George Gracie in Prison

[Image: 1933-300x239.png]

In 1934, brothers Carlos, George and Helio Gracie spent a week in jail. The 3 Gracies had been accused of attacking a former challenger in the street, Manuel Rufino, who then had placed charges against the Gracie brothers.

The 3 brothers were eventually freed after the court didn’t find enough evidence or witnesses.

LOLOLOLOL^^^get a load of the zoot suits.

Punks Wink

the Winnson shama knew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video Ralph Gracie shakes hands with Almeida, then assaults him CTsar 20 1,124 03-07-2019 09:45 PM
Last Post: trevorrice
  Gracie first UFC win in 25 years CTsar 38 1,836 02-28-2019 09:50 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Horrible Gracie Rap Video - GINAGI kungfool 31 7,860 08-17-2018 09:07 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement Skookum Charlie 26 2,344 07-29-2018 03:01 AM
Last Post: kungfool