Login | Register

Affirmations?
03-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Affirmations?
I fail to understand why 'affirmations' exist.
I seek to understand what they accomplish.
I always see them in Youtube comment sections.
I have not ever known anyone to practice them IRL
I can't stand how every line damn starts with an I.
I sense they are tied to New Age, self-absorbed spirituality.
I wonder if they are somehow dangerous
I await all of your comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2019, 11:18 PM
RE: Affirmations?
[Image: 512yyYZNIdL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
03-09-2019, 12:54 AM
It's a method of reprogramming oneself. I did a little research a few months ago on the phenomena of the inner voice. The inner voice is necessary for self-reflection. That's why NPCs, who rarely use the inner voice, are so blind to reality. They rarely engage in self-reflection. Women with eating disorders have an inner voice which is overly critical of themselves. People with schizophrenia have an inner voice which is outright hostile to themselves. The repetition of affirmations thus reprogram the inner voice in order to eliminate the crippling negativity that some people have. The danger, I think, would be going too far and programming the inner voice to make oneself overconfident or narcissistic.
03-09-2019, 04:12 AM
a lot of it is Tony Robbins or PUA bullshit

you wake up and look into the mirror and repeat " I am an attractive individual, I am a confident individual blah blah blah"
03-09-2019, 05:12 AM
Ey

Is that what that book you posted is about. "Dark Secrets of the New Age"??

Feeding the inner voice is bad?
03-09-2019, 05:54 AM
it's just an interesting reference book about new age cults

people tend to think the new age is all lovey dovey, but there is a dark underbelly to it and Texe does a somewhat decent job of exposing it from a protestant Christian viewpoint. I don't agree with all of it, but it's a good reference.
03-09-2019, 07:44 AM
(03-09-2019 12:54 AM)Count Iblis Wrote:  It's a method of reprogramming oneself. I did a little research a few months ago on the phenomena of the inner voice. The inner voice is necessary for self-reflection. That's why NPCs, who rarely use the inner voice, are so blind to reality. They rarely engage in self-reflection. Women with eating disorders have an inner voice which is overly critical of themselves. People with schizophrenia have an inner voice which is outright hostile to themselves. The repetition of affirmations thus reprogram the inner voice in order to eliminate the crippling negativity that some people have. The danger, I think, would be going too far and programming the inner voice to make oneself overconfident or narcissistic.

good post.

I would like to also discuss the last two mentions.

OverConfident can work Ali/Mayweather

and as for narcissistic, I am of the opinion that everyone is narcissistic to some degree
03-09-2019, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2019 07:45 AM by karasu.)
(03-09-2019 05:54 AM)pug-thug Wrote:  it's just an interesting reference book about new age cults

people tend to think the new age is all lovey dovey, but there is a dark underbelly to it and Texe does a somewhat decent job of exposing it from a protestant Christian viewpoint. I don't agree with all of it, but it's a good reference.

it's good to read different perspectives and to question each
03-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Overconfidence makes it so that you can never learn from your mistakes because your mistakes are never because of anything you do.
03-09-2019, 12:05 PM
(03-09-2019 07:44 AM)karasu Wrote:  OverConfident can work Ali/Mayweather

they were not overconfident in the ring, Ali was the king of rope-a-dope and Mayweather the best defensive boxer p4p. Overly cautious, if anything. Their trash talk was for the cameras and to goad opponents into playing their games.
03-09-2019, 03:03 PM
(03-09-2019 12:05 PM)CTsar Wrote:  

they were not overconfident in the ring, Ali was the king of rope-a-dope and Mayweather the best defensive boxer p4p. Overly cautious, if anything. Their trash talk was for the cameras and to goad opponents into playing their games.

Mcgregor too. Shit talking to make his opponent more predictable.
03-09-2019, 03:30 PM

great point

Those who know, know! Big Grin
03-09-2019, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2019 03:38 PM by karasu.)

I'm going to have to disagree.....I don't think a lack of super-alpha confidence is what made them Kings of the Ring Big Grin
03-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Ali was over-confident enough to believe he could beat that beast George Foreman and willing to take on Joe Frazier MULTIPLE times when for most people, one time would be enough if they managed to survive 15 rounds of that!
03-10-2019, 05:30 AM
(03-08-2019 05:25 PM)kungfool Wrote:  I fail to understand why 'affirmations' exist.
I seek to understand what they accomplish.
I always see them in Youtube comment sections.
I have not ever known anyone to practice them IRL
I can't stand how every line damn starts with an I.
I sense they are tied to New Age, self-absorbed spirituality.
I wonder if they are somehow dangerous
I await all of your comments.

Just be silent and become of aware of every thank starts with an "I", then respond with "Who is I?"

You are something, but not an "I" or a "me".

It is the the lie of the brain and it makes no difference whether it is followed by "I am great" or "I am attractive".

The lie that is followed by something nice is sometimes the dangerous lie a person can tell oneself IMO.

"If you don't love all, you love no one" - Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson