Login | Register

The Lottery is a tax on the poor. Why aren't people complaining
01-25-2019, 08:31 PM
“There was a whole tribe of men who made their living simply by selling systems, forecasts, and lucky amulets. Winston had nothing to do with the Lottery, which was managed by the Ministry of Plenty, but he was aware (indeed everyone in the party was aware) that the prizes were largely imaginary. Only small sums were actually paid out, the winners of the big prizes being nonexistent persons.
― George Orwell, 1984

Those who know, know! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2019, 01:45 AM
RE: The Lottery is a tax on the poor. Why aren't people complaining
The lottery is a tax on the stupid.
01-26-2019, 03:53 AM
you are selling false hope to people with this nonsense

also there has been massive corruption with the lottery

Connecticut lottery under investigation after scandals
Posted Mar 15, 2018

Connecticut lottery under investigation after scandals Posted Mar 15, 2018
01-26-2019, 04:37 AM
I believe the Gov't also reclaims like 40% of your winnings through taxation.

From my experience, it's mostly low agency Whites and some Asians playing the lottery.
People who are stuck in a particular spot in life and don't have the skill, will or know-how to move forward.

Rather than watching videos on career skills, how to budget, how to invest, it's a trip to the Gas station twice a week.
01-26-2019, 04:46 AM
it should not really be legal

and the odds and risks should be known

otherwise you are just fleecing hopeless uneducated people

they warn you about the risks of doing tons of shit

they should warn you about the lottery

basically zero chance to win the powerball
01-26-2019, 05:12 AM
also when you make financial investments you are required to disclose risks

there are tons of rules in place

why no rules to TELL PEOPLE you may lose tons of money in the lottery scam?
01-26-2019, 05:13 AM
I actually had a roomate in college who despised his father. Always mocked his Blue Collar 'murican sayings. "WORK WITH YOUR HANDS BOY!"

He was a very, very smart White kid. Probably 10-15 IQ points above me.
One night we saw the landlord had left some scratchers on the kitchen table, and he started ranting about what a scam the Lottery was.
Then he started going on about how the "Lottery Curse" was real -- even if you win, you're doomed to a life of misery.

He then revealed that his Dad had actually won a few years back, and it completely destroyed his family.
The story unfolded that the guy was a construction worker, raising a family in the Bay Area, barely making ends meet.
From his early twenties he 'just knew' he was going to win the CA. He spent something like $50/wk on Lotto tickets for 20 years.

Then when his youngest kid was 18, the bastard actually wins big. Something like $20 million. Except it happened 20 years too late, his kids were grown, his body was shot, his marriage was on a shaky foundation. He had never invested, run a business, or even had money to spend before. The sudden flood of money with no experience managing money, and no one to spend it on put him on a dark path. Within several years he was divorced, his kids hated him, and he was talking about suicide.
01-26-2019, 05:17 AM
interesting story

when you win, and people know they will surround you like flies to shit trying to extract shit

you are not sure who your friends are anymore
01-26-2019, 08:32 AM
The lottery is not a tax. You choose to play but you don't choose to pay taxes.

It's true that you will be taxed on the "income" of winnings.

Yes, it's a bad thing if abused but the lottery isn't the problem. The people who rely on it for income are not capable of managing their lives and they'd destroy themselves whether they played the lottery or not. Alcohol is much worse.

Maybe the Asian needs mother government to tell him what to do but in the USA freedom trumps "it shouldn't be allowed".

Black people love the lottery. It's built in them to want free stuff. There is no cure.

--I Eat Grits--
01-26-2019, 08:51 AM
(01-26-2019 08:32 AM)Billygoat Wrote:  Black people love the lottery. It's built in them to want free stuff. There is no cure.

This much is true.
01-26-2019, 12:38 PM
(01-26-2019 08:32 AM)Billygoat Wrote:  The lottery is not a tax. You choose to play but you don't choose to pay taxes.

It's true that you will be taxed on the "income" of winnings.

Yes, it's a bad thing if abused but the lottery isn't the problem. The people who rely on it for income are not capable of managing their lives and they'd destroy themselves whether they played the lottery or not. Alcohol is much worse.

Maybe the Asian needs mother government to tell him what to do but in the USA freedom trumps "it shouldn't be allowed".

Uh. I didn't literally mean it was a tax

but it was a way of EXTRACTING MONEY from VULNERABLE POOR PEOPLE

also, there are no warnings

they require warnings for tons of risky activities

if you invest in an investment vehicle they are LEGALLY REQUIRED TO WARN YOU ABOUT THE RISKS

if you buy cigs, they are legally required to warn you about the risks

if you buy a LOTTERY TICKET, they should WARN YOU that you could waste a lot of money as the chances are abysmally low that you could win. or they should put the ODDS clearly on the game ticket

SIMPLE!

Those who know, know! Big Grin
01-26-2019, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2019 05:42 PM by karasu.)
I support the lottery system. I enjoy buying the occasional lottery ticket and the pleasure of resulting daydreaming is worth the $1.

the problem is not the lottery but culture and education.

the peasant class are taught to consume and seem to despise disciplined financial habit as miserly scroogery yet poor people admire the bling of the sport/entertainment industry? They also seem to observe a paycheck-to-paycheck "life is short live for today" ideology.

of course if these people were inspired to become a responsible nation of disciplined savers then it would not be very good for the "share price"

and the govt/people is a two-way mirror where the habits of one reflects the other yet the difference being that though the GOVT/peasants has BIG DEBT the minority % politicians are of a class which understands wealth creation and management system which is probably one component of how they are able to manipulate and rule over the peasant class

it is NOT easy but the American Dream is still possible for those which possess the curiosity and discipline to do it.
01-26-2019, 08:48 PM
it's easy. just put the avg. odds of winning on each ticket

let people be informed about what they are getting into

these guys don't know the true odds
01-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Quote:According to a 2008 study reported by PBS, households with incomes under $13,000 per year spend 9 percent of that on lottery tickets. As PBS also pointed out, “you are 17 times more likely to get hit by falling airplane parts than you are to win the lottery.” Even if that lottery spending statistic is off by a factor of three, as Business Insider suggests, there’s no question that poor people are suckered by the lottery more often than rich people.

And as Michelle Malkin points out, desperation drives the lottery:

During the 2008 recession, 29 of 42 states with lotteries saw huge spikes in lottery sales -- with sales records set in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, where purchases are greatest in the states' poorest counties.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/2577/powe...en-shapiro
01-27-2019, 01:51 AM
(01-26-2019 05:17 AM)pug-thug Wrote:  interesting story

when you win, and people know they will surround you like flies to shit trying to extract shit

you are not sure who your friends are anymore

I had a friend who came into money through an inheritance. He'd call me up all the time to go to strip clubs. I'd decline because I didn't have the money to waste. He'd tell me he'd pay for the dances, but I still wasn't interested. Turns out another friend of his was interested. They blew through something like $30k at the clubs in one year. The fool didn't even get laid out of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  are they REALLY Poor......??? karasu 4 82 11-13-2019 12:08 PM
Last Post: karasu
  Why aren't they banning buffets? pug-thug 6 153 10-15-2019 02:53 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Chinaman Surprised by USA "Smart Kids Aren't Cool Kids" karasu 3 308 08-17-2019 07:42 AM
Last Post: Count Iblis
  666 on tax form causes Christian worker to quit his job Redneck 13 4,269 07-20-2019 10:52 AM
Last Post: THE_DEAN