Login | Register

Sonny Liston vs Muhammad Ali
01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Is there an existing thread on this?

Sonny Liston throws two fights to Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali. A new star is born.

Liston throws the first fight by not getting off his stool after the 6th round.

The 2nd fight, damn, it is a blatant fix. Phantom punch.

"Ali initially stood over his fallen opponent, gesturing and yelling at him, "Get up and fight, sucker!" "Nobody will believe this!""

5 years later, and Liston is dead, aged what, 40?

Muhammad Ali : "set an example of racial pride for African Americans and resistance to white domination during the Civil Rights Movement."

Whereas Liston was accused of having organized crime links and not helping with the Civil Rights movement. Although I suspect the fix may have been motivated purely financially.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2019, 08:16 AM
RE: Sonny Liston vs Muhammad Ali
this is the fight

it's very easy to see if a fight is phony

does the alleged jobber throw FULL POWER SHOTS with committment regularly?
01-17-2019, 11:06 AM
I don't believe for a second that Ali was half what was claimed. I think it was all fake at least till the 80s.

--I Eat Grits--
01-18-2019, 03:36 AM
I didn't see the whole fight just now, but did Liston throw one right hook (with intent) the entire fight?

Watched the last round, before he quit on the stool, and if he quit, it wasn't because of damage, he got hit with nothing more than jabs, body shots, maybe the occasional 1-2.

Allegedly his shoulder was injured, which is a good excuse/reason for not throwing hard right hooks, but apparently his corner said afterwards they had a guaranteed rematch with Ali, and that was what they wanted. And that the shoulder injury was cooked up.

Good way to fix a fight, never throw a punch with intent, with your dominant hand!

The rematch was the super obvious one. George Chuvalo, famous Canadian boxer, has gone on record to say that the Phantom Punch was a fixed fight.
01-19-2019, 07:08 AM
with the bigger gloves it's easier to fix fights in boxing

even if you throw with intent, there is a lower chance of a flash KO with bigger gloves

with MMA gloves, if you throw with intent you could accidentally KO someone even if you're supposed to be jobbing
01-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Red & Blue, Democrats & Republicans, Bloods & Crips
Iron Mike is pretty wise. He must read this forum.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2019, 04:10 AM
Hmmm... So to prevent a 'loss' for the Civil Rights movement, they put Ali over Liston?

I think it was mainly money (Ali had more 'star potential'), but you can't completely dismiss the political aspect, as Tyson even suggests there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Muhammad Ali KI's Brian London with 11-12 punches in 3 seconds! Stickgrappler 10 2,412 11-23-2017 07:15 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Muhammad Ali v Antonio Inoki Redneck 7 1,334 11-10-2017 06:21 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  14 Year Old Mike Tyson's promise to Muhammad Ali Redneck 6 2,626 06-17-2017 06:27 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  RIP Matthew Saad Muhammad... ba_dass 2 2,284 05-27-2014 10:23 AM
Last Post: ba_dass