Login | Register

Your taste in music says a lot about your bank account
08-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Rich people march to a different tune.

The richest Americans may be way more likely to listen to classical music — which could include Beethoven, Mozart and Bach — than the rest of us. Indeed, those who listened to classical reported that they raked in an average income of more than $114,000 per year, compared to just $58,000 for country music fans (the lowest of those measured), according to a survey of 1,500 millennials released this month by TDAmeritrade. TD Ameritrade said that it believes this finding will hold true for all age groups.

How much income each type of music lover rakes in:

Classical – $114,000
Electronic – $92,000
Rap/Hip-hop – $69,000
’80s/’90s – $67,000
Hard rock – $65,000
Pop/Top 40 – $61,000
Country – $58,000

Classical music aficionados — those who said they were most likely to listen to classical music — are also way more likely to say they feel financially secure than other music fans: three in four say they feel this way, compared to fewer than half of fans who jam to pop, hard rock, hip-hop and country. They also may be better set up for retirement, as three in four say they invest in the stock market, compared to fewer than half of country and pop fans.

Christine Russell, the senior manager of retirement and annuities at TD Ameritrade, says this may be because people who listen to classical music tend to come from higher income, urban environments — where education and affluence levels are greater. And many classical music lovers also play an instrument, which shows commitment and ambition, both of which may explain their high incomes and financial security, she adds.

Meanwhile, country music fans tend to have the lowest incomes and the least financial security. Russell notes this is likely because many come from rural, less affluent areas. It may also, she says, have to do with the messages in the music: Country is often about living the simple life.

But there may be more to it than that. Classical music itself could be boosting our academic performance, levels of productivity and even our IQs — all of which could, of course, boost our finances down the line.

Continued:
https://nypost.com/2018/08/17/your-taste...k-account/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2018, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2018 09:53 AM by karasu.)
RE: Your taste in music says a lot about your bank account
I am from humble origins yet have always enjoyed listening to classical music and even more so as my position increased. In my late 20s and on I also developed a fancy for jazz and crooner music which also perhaps corresponded with my increased enjoyment of spending some leisure time in the cafe reading a book while sipping some coffee and enjoying a pastry which can be a reasonably cheap way to spend time while increasing knowledge for a two-birds one-stone BIG WIN!
08-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Metal and Mariachi are missing from that list.
08-19-2018, 01:12 PM
what did I tell people. I said classical and electronic music are king.

not surprising that hip hop heads make more.. as hip hop is often times aspirational.. all about that chedda
08-19-2018, 01:19 PM
electronic music is actually more "high class" nowadays than classical as it's the only music pushing forward. not i'm not talking about EDM

classical music has stalled and not much new stuff is happening
08-19-2018, 01:34 PM

08-19-2018, 03:50 PM
It's shocking that Jazz isn't on the list.

I didn't read through the article, did they control for age?
08-19-2018, 04:21 PM
list is prob not accurate

imo the richest people and are around 50-70 years old prob listen to what they grew up with which is classic rock and that type of stuff

among younger people like under 40 this list would make more sense

also people have a tendency to say they like classical the best sometimes because it's "high class"

in reality, most rich people I know claim to like classical but have no deep knowledge of it
08-19-2018, 05:01 PM
(08-19-2018 04:21 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  in reality, most rich people I know claim to like classical but have no deep knowledge of it

Yeah it's one of those trained responses. If you're upper-class you're expected to say you like upper-class music; you have to say Classical or Jazz. Then those same people can barely name one piece from that genre.

My experience is the modern executive doesn't think about music much. If they have guests in their car they'll put on basic bitch 80's music, or put on the XFM station that plays Coldplay and the like.
08-19-2018, 05:26 PM
my opinion is most people these days cannot really "feel" music deeply hence why happy music or mood music is so popular

you have to be of the right mindset and mental state to really appreciate music

also it's more likely people low income artist and hipster types have the deepest knowledge and appreciate music the most
08-19-2018, 05:28 PM
To investigate what happens in the brain during the chills, a group of researchers from Harvard and Wesleyan University selected ten people who claimed that they regularly experience a frisson while listening to music. He also selected ten subjects who never experienced the phenomenon.

The researchers then looked at the brains of the test subjects while they listened to chill-inducing music using a method called diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), which shows how well regions of the brain are interconnected, reports Sample. The choices ranged from Coldplay and Wagner to marching band music from the Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps.

The researchers found that the brains of individuals who occasionally feel a chill while listening to music were wired differently than the control subjects. They had more nerve fibers connecting auditory cortex, the part of the brain that processes sound, to their anterior insular cortex, a region involved in processing feelings. The auditory cortex also had strong links to parts of the brain that may monitor emotions.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...ZdXwjIq.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
08-19-2018, 05:33 PM
my guess is that most people probably up to 90% can experience chills while listening to music

but only maybe 20-30% experience it often.. the rest experience it occasionally or not at all
08-20-2018, 06:16 AM
California shop cranks classical music to dissuade loitering

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — A 7-Eleven in California has found a way to keep people from panhandling and loitering outside the store: crank up classical music.

Sukhi Sandhu, who owns the franchise in Modesto, said his customers tell him they feel safer since he started blasting symphonies and occasional operas over outdoor speakers.

“Once the music started, the riffraff left,” said Manuel Souza, who’s homeless and jokingly referred to himself as part of the riffraff. The loud music makes it hard “to hang out and gossip and joke around” near the store, Souza told the Modesto Bee last week from under a tree down the block.

The classical music is part of a 7-Eleven program that encourages non-confrontational methods to reduce loitering, Sandhu said. It eliminates any risks faced by clerks when asking panhandlers to leave, he said.
08-20-2018, 07:00 AM
^ they do this in Hollywood and all over LA...

play classical music outside the 7/11s

i asked the clerk and she said it works pretty well
08-20-2018, 08:28 AM
I've never heard it. the one near Sta. Monica and Fairfax always has bums laying on the parking lot outside. maybe they do in on graveyard shifts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. DONG JOHNSON 577 149,129 02-15-2019 07:38 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  UK-funded psyop Integrity Initiative locks Twitter account after wiping content pug-thug 1 191 01-25-2019 03:11 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Paypal Shuts down Prof James Tracey's PAYPAL ACCOUNT! pug-thug 13 2,769 01-24-2019 04:27 AM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Interesting CT Book on Music Theory kungfool 61 11,280 10-27-2018 05:50 PM
Last Post: pug-thug