Login | Register

10 Unbelievable Facts About Pride
08-07-2018, 12:01 PM
10 Unbelievable Facts About Pride
Nothing that we hardcore fans don't know, but it's a nice, nostalgic review.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
RE: 10 Unbelievable Facts About Pride
"When I came back from Japan, there were a lot of reporters at the airport, and they weren’t really worried about me, they just wanted to know how much PRIDE paid me,” Oliveira recalls. "They thought PRIDE paid me a fortune. Everybody asked how much I made.”

In times where seven-figure pays in MMA were rare, everyone thought Oliveira had at least a million-dollar check in his pocket.

"Everybody thought they paid me one or two million dollars,” he says. "They screwed me up with that, too. They only gave me $70,000, and that's it. I was pretty much robbed.”

Oliveira used part of the money to buy a house, and invested the rest in a gym and other businesses, but his ventures collapsed soon after.

“$70,000 were good money back then,” Oliveira says, “but that's way less than what I could've made. Many people said that if I had sued PRIDE I’d be rich and wouldn’t need to fight anymore, but I didn’t want to do that because I respected them.

"Thinking about the money, yes, I regret (not suing them), but I love the promotion and I love Japan. I love fighting there. They treat you as an idol, something that doesn't happen in Brazil. But I do regret (not suing them) for the money because my life would be way better than it is today."

The freak accident didn’t stop him from fighting, though, but walking to a ring wasn’t as easy as it once was.

----

HESPECT.

wow. Someone needs to do a mini doc on this incident.

Can't believe he didn't sue and accepted only 70K

CHEAP ASS PRIDE
08-07-2018, 07:15 PM
very nasty burns @ 1:44. first time I see those photos.
08-08-2018, 06:08 AM
pride was so beloved that someone who got disfigured due to their ineptitude didn't sue

that is pretty amazing if you think about it
08-08-2018, 06:14 AM
i guess the damage wasn't that bad as he looks fine by Pride 12

08-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Johil was fighting again 6 months later.

70k wasn't that bad if there are no long term consequences. He signed a contract where he would likely sustain head trauma and maybe broken limbs for less than that. Also PRIDE gave him a multiple fight contract which was unusual at the time for lighter weight fighters.
08-08-2018, 06:39 AM
he ended up not winning a single fight in Pride..
08-08-2018, 06:39 AM
there were some things I didn't know.. like about the PRIDE TV SHOW that featured underground fights?

never heard of that
08-08-2018, 10:34 AM
I wonder where he got that info. In all my years of tape trading and downloading from mma trackers and posting on MMA forums I never heard of any such shows.
08-08-2018, 11:28 AM
yeah but he seemed to have some footage from it. really weird. perhaps it was only shown on local channels in Japan
08-09-2018, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2018 12:44 PM by Skookum Charlie.)
(08-07-2018 02:51 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  "When I came back from Japan, there were a lot of reporters at the airport, and they weren’t really worried about me, they just wanted to know how much PRIDE paid me,” Oliveira recalls. "They thought PRIDE paid me a fortune. Everybody asked how much I made.”

In times where seven-figure pays in MMA were rare, everyone thought Oliveira had at least a million-dollar check in his pocket.

"Everybody thought they paid me one or two million dollars,” he says. "They screwed me up with that, too. They only gave me $70,000, and that's it. I was pretty much robbed.”

Oliveira used part of the money to buy a house, and invested the rest in a gym and other businesses, but his ventures collapsed soon after.

“$70,000 were good money back then,” Oliveira says, “but that's way less than what I could've made. Many people said that if I had sued PRIDE I’d be rich and wouldn’t need to fight anymore, but I didn’t want to do that because I respected them.

"Thinking about the money, yes, I regret (not suing them), but I love the promotion and I love Japan. I love fighting there. They treat you as an idol, something that doesn't happen in Brazil. But I do regret (not suing them) for the money because my life would be way better than it is today."

The freak accident didn’t stop him from fighting, though, but walking to a ring wasn’t as easy as it once was.

----

HESPECT.

wow. Someone needs to do a mini doc on this incident.

Can't believe he didn't sue and accepted only 70K

CHEAP ASS PRIDE

Sometimes Mr Sakakibara potlatch bag of dolla hiyu huy huy in locker room when cheechako mamook skookum puk puk; sometimes no.

Nanich the Guy Mezger, naih niksum Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PRIDE vs UFC Vol. 1: The Music CTsar 52 1,218 09-06-2018 02:35 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  UFC appropriates "Pride Never Die" slogan CTsar 2 382 04-13-2018 12:33 PM
Last Post: kungfool
  Cro Cop was such a bad ass in Pride Redneck 9 1,122 12-17-2017 06:11 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  Nick Want's Pride Rules Veritatem Quaerens 15 4,975 07-30-2017 11:39 AM