Login | Register

Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement
07-25-2018, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 04:53 PM by Skookum Charlie.)
Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement
Quote:You would never guess Renzo Gracie’s age just by looking at him. His head is still unmarked by gray hairs, his skin still tight. He’s something close to ageless, but in reality, he’s 51 years old. Historically, that’s an age at which most athletes have long been flushed out of the fight game. Yet, after eight years away, Gracie is making a comeback.

He’s scheduled to compete against Yuki Kondo at ONE: Reign of Kings in the 20,000-seat Mall of Asia Arena in the Philippines in a fight that has been billed as his retirement bout, but Gracie told MMA Fighting during a recent interview that last part is incorrect. He has not announced an intention to hang up his gloves.

“I believe I’m going to fight more,” he said. “I’m going to impress people with this fight, and they’re going to want me to fight more, so I will do it.”

Gracie’s professional career spans more than a quarter-century, dating back to 1992, the year before the UFC was born.

He holds a career record of 13-7-1 with one no contest, and has wins over former UFC champions including Maurice Smith, Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton and Frank Shamrock.

Still, he hadn’t competed since losing to Matt Hughes at UFC 112 in April 2010. Prior to that, he hadn’t fought since 2007, meaning he’s only competed once in the last decade, yet he said he feels physically great and expects to fight multiple times in the future.

So how did the “retirement fight” mixup happen in the first place? Gracie said it was probably a simple mistake. He says nearly everyone who hears he’s returning makes the same assumption that he’ll be one and done.

“I think they thought I’m 51 and I don’t need it anymore, but I will fight for them more times,” he said. “Believe it.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/22/17...uki-kondo-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2018, 04:57 PM
RE: Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement

07-25-2018, 11:35 PM
RE: Renzo Gracie says despite being 51, upcoming match with Yuki Kondo not his retirement
WOW. now this is a match I'm interested in
07-25-2018, 11:42 PM
both fighters are legends, and both are washed up

both are charismatic and interesting characters, something SORELY lacking in today's conformist UFC environment
07-26-2018, 12:37 PM
It's hard to believe MMA used to attract a higher caliber of fighter during the black out years than it does these days. All we see now is generic tatted up meatheads with fighting styles that are indistinguishable from one another.

Anyway I love these master division type fights, saw Renzo vs Sakuraba years ago from the second row and it was best 200 dollars I ever invested.
07-26-2018, 06:44 PM
(07-26-2018 12:37 PM)CTsar Wrote:  It's hard to believe MMA used to attract a higher caliber of fighter during the black out years than it does these days. All we see now is generic tatted up meatheads with fighting styles that are indistinguishable from one another.

Anyway I love these master division type fights, saw Renzo vs Sakuraba years ago from the second row and it was best 200 dollars I ever invested.

That's a down side of the sport becoming mainstream, everyone starts fighting the same style. In the black out years you had a different genre of fighter, many stuck to a modified version of the core skill set of the style they knew. This made for more interesting match ups and variation in styles.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
07-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Yuki Kondo is a legend.

one of the best open weight fighters of all time

a 155 guy *assuming weight cut* that slayed giants
07-27-2018, 02:45 AM
There was an interesting grappling event a couple weeks ago; 10th Planet hipster Blackbelts against Japanese Pride Legends. It was a collision of opposite worlds.

[Image: quintet-1080x530.png]
07-27-2018, 03:09 AM
(07-26-2018 06:44 PM)Redneck Wrote:  
(07-26-2018 12:37 PM)CTsar Wrote:  It's hard to believe MMA used to attract a higher caliber of fighter during the black out years than it does these days. All we see now is generic tatted up meatheads with fighting styles that are indistinguishable from one another.

That's a down side of the sport becoming mainstream, everyone starts fighting the same style. In the black out years you had a different genre of fighter, many stuck to a modified version of the core skill set of the style they knew. This made for more interesting match ups and variation in styles.

yeah, people enroll in MMA schools from day one now. every fighter is a jack of all trades from the start . MMA going mainstream ruined Martial Arts.
07-27-2018, 03:12 AM
(07-27-2018 02:45 AM)kungfool Wrote:  There was an interesting grappling event a couple weeks ago; 10th Planet hipster Blackbelts against Japanese Pride Legends. It was a collision of opposite worlds.

[Image: quintet-1080x530.png]

Sakuraba fought in LA again? I had no idea.
07-27-2018, 05:07 AM
(07-27-2018 03:12 AM)CTsar Wrote:  Sakuraba fought in LA again? I had no idea.

Yeah it's up on fightpass but I can't find any of the videos.

I saw a clip of Satoshi Ishi using a Judo scarf-hold power-pass to smash a young slick, cocky BJJer. I was pretty impressed and am sure it would give EY a boner.
07-28-2018, 09:40 AM
They still have it, I got a free trial of Fight Pass and I'm watching it right now. Sakuraba is the promoter of this event apparently. Lots of known guys competing, Tokoro, Barnett, Ishii, etc. Tokoro just tapped a dude with some crazy armbar transition from fake guard pull in the opening seconds.
07-28-2018, 05:15 PM
^ thanks for the brief rundown
07-28-2018, 05:16 PM
if sak's knees weren't shot he would still be a good grappler today imo

his magical move was his amazing single leg.. when he tore both ACLs he became visibly slower
07-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Stealing some images from Masato's thread.

[Image: Hq5hCi6.jpg]

[Image: HRp933d.jpg]

[Image: EGrYTgw.jpg]

[Image: AuzoWwE.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gracie Family Wall-of-Shame Thread kungfool 6 339 03-16-2019 04:50 PM
Last Post: Skookum Charlie
Video Ralph Gracie shakes hands with Almeida, then assaults him CTsar 20 708 03-07-2019 09:45 PM
Last Post: trevorrice
  Gracie first UFC win in 25 years CTsar 38 1,268 02-28-2019 09:50 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Very entertaining non-technical female boxing match pug-thug 3 517 09-28-2018 09:42 AM
Last Post: max power