Login | Register

Y "Oriental" cause Anger yet Occidental......
07-14-2018, 04:21 AM
Y "Oriental" cause Anger yet Occidental......
why is it that if one used the world "Oriental" it seems to arouse some emotional anger but if he also used the word "Occidental" it does not seem to cause offense?

"The Orient is the East, traditionally comprising anything that belongs to the Eastern world, in relation to Europe. In English, it is largely a metonym for, and coterminous with, the continent of Asia, divided into the Far East, Middle East, and Near East.

The term Oriental is sometimes used to describe people or objects from the Orient."------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2018, 05:11 AM
RE: Y "Oriental" cause Anger yet Occidental......
Because US minorities have been trained to act offended by everything.
Especially words that originated during the colonial era.

/thread
07-14-2018, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2018 05:40 AM by pilgrim.)
I remember years back in the earlier days of the internet. I used the term Oriental. This was back when it was not unusual to use that term still and everone wasn't overly sensitive and looking for reasons to be offended. This clown moderator who was a mixed race person who held himself out as an expert on racism and race relations. He had to openly correct me and say they are Asians, not Orientals in sort of a sneering tone. This was back around 1998. Then the idiot starts talking about a bunch of hispanic men downtown in the city. He was referring to them as Latinas. So I corrected Mr. Race Relations and pointed out that latinas were females of Latin American origin not males. He kind of pulled in his horns after that.
07-14-2018, 07:28 AM
(07-14-2018 05:37 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  .
I remember years back in the earlier days of the internet. I used the term Oriental. This was back when it was not unusual to use that term still and everone wasn't overly sensitive and looking for reasons to be offended. This clown moderator who was a mixed race person who held himself out as an expert on racism and race relations. He had to openly correct me and say they are Asians, not Orientals in sort of a sneering tone. This was back around 1998. Then the idiot starts talking about a bunch of hispanic men downtown in the city. He was referring to them as Latinas. So I corrected Mr. Race Relations and pointed out that latinas were females of Latin American origin not males. He kind of pulled in his horns after that.

LOL great reading
07-14-2018, 03:44 PM
I tend to prefer the names British Imperialists used for places.

Sri Lanka = Ceylon
Taiwan = Formosa
Thailand = Siam
Myanmar = Burma
Asia = Orient
Europe = Occident

Much more linguistically pleasing to an English speaker.
07-14-2018, 06:37 PM
oriental is way better than using YELLOW
07-16-2018, 05:04 AM
(07-14-2018 06:37 PM)pug-thug Wrote:  oriental is way better than using YELLOW

marvelous observation
07-16-2018, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 05:18 AM by karasu.)
(07-14-2018 03:44 PM)kungfool Wrote:  I tend to prefer the names British Imperialists used for places.

Sri Lanka = Ceylon
Taiwan = Formosa
Thailand = Siam
Myanmar = Burma
Asia = Orient
Europe = Occident

Much more linguistically pleasing to an English speaker.

Ceylon sounds very nice and I also like the term Siam.

and how about Japan vs Nihon. Nihon has a harmonious sound though Jap is easy to say like how Americans make habit to simplify things Michael/Mike, Thomas/Tom, Christopher/Chris, William/Bill, Daniel/Dan, USA/US and so on......

it is also obvious in the arts. New World Pop music vs Old world Classical musics and also in Architecture New World Big Box Stores and Strip Mall churches vs Magnificent Old World Temples, Mosques, Cathedrals, picturesque town-squares and villages

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lucifer Rising.Occult Movie by Kenneth Anger Horus Rising 29 11,642 06-08-2014 07:28 PM
Last Post: Horus Rising
  AIG CEO: Anger at Wall Street = Lynching of Blacks Roland Bates 11 3,529 09-26-2013 10:29 AM
Last Post: BRIC Countries