Login | Register

Master Wong's Wing Chun, no can defend.
04-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Master Wong's Wing Chun, no can defend.
I like Master Wong, he knows how to self promote.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2018, 11:23 PM
RE: Master Wong's Wing Chun, no can defend.

04-24-2018, 02:47 AM
the stuff in the first vid works imo.
04-24-2018, 05:11 AM
This guy acts like a fool but his technique is legit.

This is the exception of WC training though. 95% of places you guy and people you train with will not have this mentality.
The most simple litmus test is "Do they put on gloves and spar?" if so; how often and with what rules.

For example, many Karate and TKD Dojo's pad-up and spar, but by banning face-punches, and leg-kicks, elbows and knees, they're doing their students a disservice.
04-24-2018, 06:00 AM
The inescapable truth is that to beat MMA fighters, you have to train like them.

You can keep your tradition alive, but you have to adopt kickboxing or muay thai rules sparring with padding, and also train simple repetitive motions instead of long forms.

BLOCK HIT, BLOCK HIT, BLOCK HIT
HIT HIT HIT, HIT HIT HIT

That's the type of training that prepares you for a live attacker.
04-24-2018, 09:45 AM
there is a video of him blocking punches by covering his head with his elbows out. it's probably very very effective at breaking people's knuckles

most people go for headshots and if you do that i could see it being very very effective
04-24-2018, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 02:15 PM by kungfool.)
(04-24-2018 09:45 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  there is a video of him blocking punches by covering his head with his elbows out. it's probably very very effective at breaking people's knuckles

most people go for headshots and if you do that i could see it being very very effective

Absolutely. I've injured friends hands during friendly sparring doing that.

People used to laugh at the idea of shelling for self-defense because no one was doing it in MMA. Look how a guy like Gaethje can survive for 20 minutes doing nothing but shelling and leg-kicking.

I think what the Master Wong nutter shows is just as good or better as anything you'll get in a Krav Maga gym.
04-24-2018, 07:52 PM
(04-24-2018 02:14 PM)kungfool Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 09:45 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  there is a video of him blocking punches by covering his head with his elbows out. it's probably very very effective at breaking people's knuckles

Absolutely. I've injured friends hands during friendly sparring doing that.

People used to laugh at the idea of shelling for self-defense because no one was doing it in MMA. Look how a guy like Gaethje can survive for 20 minutes doing nothing but shelling and leg-kicking.

I think what the Master Wong nutter shows is just as good or better as anything you'll get in a Krav Maga gym.

He trains hard though, and he mixes a lot of other styles into his techniques. That's why he looks effective, he's not only trying to use traditional WC. Plus his training partners don't exactly look like world beaters.

I'm just trying to figure this shit out like you are.
04-25-2018, 12:07 AM
you can tell he's very powerful and quick though. his movement is fluid

he might not beat guys in MMA, but I'm sure he can handle himself on the street very well. Dude seems to have high reaction speed
04-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Been following Master Wong for quite some time and always enjoy his vids. He trains with legit fighters like boxers and other M.A. But when it comes to his Wing Chung "answer" on other styles. You notice how he is always setting the parameters for the action. Like; you punch, i'll evade like this and then i do this to you etc.

There's no doubt in my mind that Mr. Wong is a very dangerous advisary and could beat skilled fighters with his. But that is most to do to the fact he trains with a lot of other fighting styles like boxing or Muay Thai or MMA. Wing Chung isn't that well adjusted to real fight situations and you must lean to incorporate other techniques and principles to survive.

For example; a boxer would first test the waters by tapping him with a jab, measuring and looking for a dominant angle to commit to a powerpunch/hook if the room is there. Blocking with your elbows out could work maybe 1 one time, but you have to be very fast and also in the right position and angle etc. And try to not show your "secret defense" when being just tapped and blow your cover. A tricky risc to take i guess.

This is the elbow blocking vid:

Here you have Mr. Wong doing a boxing vs Wing Chung demonstration

In a real sparring match instead of this choreograhped style, Mr Wong would be decimated
04-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Great example of a real boxing vs wing chung match including commentary

04-26-2018, 04:58 AM
Yep. Glimmer gets it.

Distance, Timing, Angle and Initiative are all better taught in Combat Sports than TMA.

This is because the arts as a whole have millions of hours of sparring experience and actual matches to draw their techniques and concepts from, while TMA is mostly the result of speculation, ideology, tradition and imagination. It's apriori vs aposteriori, Science > Religion basically.

I still appreciate TMA, but as a supplement to MMA centered Striking and Grappling skills, not as a primary self-defense system.
04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Without gloves or handwraps, wing chun would probably be a lot more successful in mma.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2018, 03:27 PM
(04-26-2018 11:29 AM)jho Wrote:  Without gloves or handwraps, wing chun would probably be a lot more successful in mma.

They throw rabbit punches and don't practice elbows, knees or kicks.

Not a recipe for success. There is still some stuff to be gained from WC. See Lawler vs Hendricks 1 for examples of 2 guys standing in-front of each-other and hand-fighting.
04-26-2018, 07:50 PM
the most valuable aspect imo is the trapping in WC

anderson sometimes uses it

also the eye strikes or BIU JEE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fight between MMA 'madman' and Tai Chi master lasts all of 10 seconds pilgrim 62 9,932 02-22-2019 05:46 PM
Last Post: Redneck
  No touch Master vs. Muay Thai pug-thug 16 2,675 04-26-2018 02:40 AM
Last Post: Billygoat
  Master Ken teaches wheelchair defense Redneck 8 2,906 04-14-2016 11:43 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Tai Chi Master vs Judo Black Belt Redneck 12 7,031 04-13-2016 11:59 AM
Last Post: pug-thug