Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2017, 05:38 PM
RE: Good fight. Souwer vs. Mohamed Kawal
this fight is fuggin amazing.

one of the best kickboxing fights ever imo
08-14-2017, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 08:09 PM by Glimmer.)
Good fight. Souwer vs. Mohamed Kawal
(08-13-2017 05:38 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  this fight is fuggin amazing.

In his prime, about ten years ago Souwer was a top contender in heavy K1 Max competition with fighters like Masato, Buakaw, Kraus and Petrosyan. Always loved his ability to turn a fight into overdrive with his boxing combinations and destroying opponents with a blitz of punches.

Truely a fearsome warrior!

Souwer VS Buakaw

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Ask for the blue pill. The rabbit hole isn't that nice
08-14-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 08:08 PM by Glimmer.)
(08-13-2017 05:38 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  this fight is fuggin amazing.

Awesome break down

08-14-2017, 05:32 AM
this was last year and he still looked pretty sharp and powerful.

sure he's lost a step but i feel he is still quite capable at this late stage
08-14-2017, 05:37 AM
buakaw is imo the best k1 max fighter of all time

i used to think it was masato but he received favoritism from the judges and refs
08-14-2017, 07:22 AM
(08-14-2017 05:37 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  buakaw is imo the best k1 max fighter of all time

i used to think it was masato but he received favoritism from the judges and refs

Masato is an excellent fighter with beautiful technique and a lot of skill. He has his roots in Ashihara Karate If i remember it right. But overall i think Buakaw was the more ferocious fighter. He is also built and fighting like a Muay Thai machine

There was a lot of favoritism in the K1 Haha I have seen a lot of strange decisions by the judges. Don't recall specific fights from Masato but being japanese and all he has the home advantage

08-14-2017, 07:30 AM
(08-14-2017 05:32 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  this was last year and he still looked pretty sharp and powerful.

sure he's lost a step but i feel he is still quite capable at this late stage

Souwer is still a very dangerous fighter. But you can tell he lost some killer instinct over the years. He is more carefull in his approach when he fights. You see that a lot with longtime fighters who are past their 30' s+ Especially when they get kids and other stuff going on they become more carefull

08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
(08-14-2017 07:22 AM)Glimmer Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 05:37 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  buakaw is imo the best k1 max fighter of all time

Masato is an excellent fighter with beautiful technique and a lot of skill. He has his roots in Ashihara Karate If i remember it right. But overall i think Buakaw was the more ferocious fighter. He is also built and fighting like a Muay Thai machine

There was a lot of favoritism in the K1 Haha I have seen a lot of strange decisions by the judges. Don't recall specific fights from Masato but being japanese and all he has the home advantage

K1 usually favored the japanese fighter but Pride favored foreigners more for some reason.

minowa was robbed against Ryan Gracie and Kondo was robbed against Henderson

Those who know, know! Big Grin
08-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Souwer has lost a bit of snap and recklessness, but perhaps it's because he has been humbled and humiliated when he fought MMA

however he just won his latest MMA bout by submission

he still seems to have the desire
08-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Prime Buakaw has absolutely the finest style I have seen in Thai/Kickboxing. And I agree he's the best K1 Max fighter ever.

There may be better Thai fighters in Thailand, but no one with a more beautiful style. And I have looked extensively for someone like him but there just isn't. His Prime style is unique and a one-off.

! This post was funded by the goverment of the Russian Federation !
08-15-2017, 10:50 AM
also just his size as well. he's bigger than like 95% of thai boxers so that pretty much makes him the absolute best ever
08-15-2017, 12:25 PM
^ There's Thais his size who are a lot more accomplished in the stadiums than him, but he basically stopped fighting in Thailand at age 22.

What's interesting is that he is underweight in K1 Max if we take into account weight cutting. He constantly weighted in at 152 pounds in a 154 pound division.

By contrast Andy Souwer stated he cut weight from 172. In the same interview I believe he stated that that was a bit heavier than optimal, and that 167 would be a better weight on fight night.

So Buakaw was constantly facing opponents 15 to 25 pounds heavier and making them look bad in the process.

08-15-2017, 01:14 PM
^ good insight

the weight cutting has ruined the sport

155 was the marquee division now it's 145. in actuality the 145 lb class is probably the 155 lb class of 10 years ago if you account for weight up rehydration
08-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Big weight cutting probably sucks really bad in a tournament format tho.

The thing is that K1 had two divisions, 154 and open-weight. It's not like there's much of a choice in choosing the right weight class.

Zambidis was also underweight. And underheight. But he was still one of the best K1 fighters until he got older.

Buakaw looks much bigger than he is cause of his body shape. He looks as big or bigger than Souwer, Masato and Kraus but he's not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  FIGHT OF THE YEAR: Donaire vs. INOUE FIGHT HL pug-thug 11 631 11-26-2019 05:51 PM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Katsuya Inoue vs. Nick Diaz. Good fight pug-thug 13 3,373 08-18-2017 01:20 AM
Last Post: Veritatem Quaerens
Video Rizin 2 9/25/16 Gracie, Crazy Horse, Cro Cop, Souwer johan 18 7,659 09-29-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: kungfool
  Fight Night 35 Post Fight Presser Winnson 5 3,377 01-17-2014 04:51 PM
Last Post: Winnson