Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Fedor is DONE
Best double knock down since Rocky.
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2017, 09:00 PM
You can't say that wasn't entertaining. Seriously though, if Fedor needs to take fights for paychecks he should stick to the other guys his own age and size that are also on the senior tour like Chael and Tito. Old Fedor is seriously outgunned against big competitive heavyweights, all he seems to have left is no defense and no chin mma boxing matches..the once feared diversity of his fight game has disappeared.

dead soul
06-26-2017, 06:34 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...cnews:text
06-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Definitely time to call it quits, unless he is going to compete on the senior tour like Mega mentioned.

I guess it didn't matter whether we elected Clinton or Trump.
06-26-2017, 10:01 AM
40 is still quite young for MMA and he hasn't accumulated that much ring damage over the years

I think mentally he has lost the hunger. his zeal for Christianity has softened him imo.

which isn't a bad thing, but it's not good for fighting
06-27-2017, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 10:31 PM by canuckster.)
You can't blame the guy for finally cashing in on his name when the $ finally starts coming for mma. And he doesn't have to suck ufc cock to do it.
06-28-2017, 12:31 AM
(06-26-2017 10:01 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  40 is still quite young for MMA and he hasn't accumulated that much ring damage over the years

I think mentally he has lost the hunger. his zeal for Christianity has softened him imo.

40 is old for MMA, outliers aside.

By mid 30's (or even earlier), most athletes will have lost a step or 3.

I think baseball is a fair comparison because unlike most sports, an athletes prime is a combination of knowledge + physical prowess. Prime years are somewhere between 27-33. I think this is a good estimate of a fighter's prime as well.

He definitely lost the hunger years ago, which is also a huge factor.

06-28-2017, 12:33 AM
(06-25-2017 09:00 PM)Megatherium Wrote:  You can't say that wasn't entertaining. Seriously though, if Fedor needs to take fights for paychecks he should stick to the other guys his own age and size that are also on the senior tour like Chael and Tito. Old Fedor is seriously outgunned against big competitive heavyweights, all he seems to have left is no defense and no chin mma boxing matches..the once feared diversity of his fight game has disappeared.

Fedor used to have the quickness to avoid the big shots from larger, stronger fighters. That quickness has been gone for awhile.

I like the idea of Fedor vs Tito or Chael @ 205 or a catch weight 210-215.

06-28-2017, 01:24 AM
(06-28-2017 12:31 AM)GMB13 Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 10:01 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  40 is still quite young for MMA and he hasn't accumulated that much ring damage over the years

40 is old for MMA, outliers aside.

By mid 30's (or even earlier), most athletes will have lost a step or 3.

I think baseball is a fair comparison because unlike most sports, an athletes prime is a combination of knowledge + physical prowess. Prime years are so where between 27-33. I think this is a good estimate of a fighter's prime as well.

He definitely lost the hunger years ago, which is also a huge factor.

a speed based athlete is usually done by early 30s. Roy Jones Jr is a good example, Wandy and Fedor as well, all past their prime by 32-34. A fighter who is exceptionally good at controlling range like Randy Couture or Bernard Hopkins can stay relevant for much longer.
06-28-2017, 03:04 AM
Exactly, or if they are built like a tank with an iron chin like Hunt.

06-28-2017, 07:37 AM
(06-28-2017 01:24 AM)CTsar Wrote:  a speed based athlete is usually done by early 30s. Roy Jones Jr is a good example, Wandy and Fedor as well, all past their prime by 32-34. A fighter who is exceptionally good at controlling range like Randy Couture or Bernard Hopkins can stay relevant for much longer.

Very true. You pointed this out with Anderson Silva, except Silva was really Reflexes rather than movement Speed. True in both cases.

Power/Timing based fighters like Hunt and Hendo have the second longest lifespan, but Range-based fighters seem to take the least damage over their careers, and thats true of Clinchers and Distance fighters.
06-28-2017, 07:50 AM
(06-28-2017 07:37 AM)kungfool Wrote:  
(06-28-2017 01:24 AM)CTsar Wrote:  a speed based athlete is usually done by early 30s. Roy Jones Jr is a good example, Wandy and Fedor as well, all past their prime by 32-34. A fighter who is exceptionally good at controlling range like Randy Couture or Bernard Hopkins can stay relevant for much longer.

Very true. You pointed this out with Anderson Silva, except Silva was really Reflexes rather than movement Speed. True in both cases.

Power/Timing based fighters like Hunt and Hendo have the second longest lifespan, but Range-based fighters seem to take the least damage over their careers, and thats true of Clinchers and Distance fighters.

true. Vitor is an extreme outlier. 40 years old, very long career, but his speed is still there. He is finished because his chin is gone.
06-28-2017, 10:25 AM
(06-28-2017 07:50 AM)CTsar Wrote:  true. Vitor is an extreme outlier. 40 years old, very long career, but his speed is still there. He is finished because his chin is gone.

Vitors last couple of losses have been due to him getting easily taken down and mounted. Didn't you speculate he had a shot back?

I think people know now that if you survive Vitor's Rd1 onslaught, he will mentally give up. Weidman shelled through it pretty easily. Rockhold kept him at-bay. Do you remember how Sakuraba humiliated him?

It's hard to say at what age fighters begin to lose their grappling. Fedor, like many MMA grapplers, became almost a pure striker towards the twilight of his career.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Fedor destroys Chael Sonnen in rd1 CTsar 25 2,267 04-27-2019 06:48 AM
Last Post: karasu
  Fedor vs Bader Chaos Reigns 22 1,410 01-31-2019 07:52 AM
Last Post: SeƱor Penis
Video Fedor vs Frank Mir CTsar 17 1,834 05-04-2018 04:15 PM
Last Post: kungfool
  The Legend of Fedor's Sweater jho 0 587 11-05-2017 02:30 AM
Last Post: jho