06-08-2016, 01:42 PM
RE: Crazy Judo Throw "Seoi Nage" By Woman In Street Fight
(06-08-2016 01:32 PM)GMB13 Wrote:  She fucked him up

Out cold.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2016, 02:44 PM
judo is the most effective style for street fighting IMO.

you stay standing, and you end standing. when you throw someone they fall on concrete. fight ends fast. JUDO and Muay THAI are all you need for self defense.

civilian clothing simulates the gi... half naked barechested MMA does not simulate a true street environment.
06-08-2016, 02:52 PM
and some people still think that training with GI is unrealistic for a self defense situation.
06-08-2016, 03:00 PM
those are the idiots on the OG back in 2004-5 when BJJ vs. JUDO was still a debate.

BJJ is the worst style for the street since all the snaky positions leave you very vulnerable to a 2nd attacker.

BJJ is great for preplanned 1 on 1 STREET FIGHTS... but for unexpected situations it is one of the worst.

Stand up styles are great for street fighting, but any competent grappler would destroy a standup only guy.

An argument could be made that JUDO is too deadly.... some of the throws involve FALLING ON TOP OF YOUR OPPONENT after a throw.. imagine that on concrete. not cool. Judo is deadly no doubt, but I find judokas in general are not into street fighting.
06-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Kodokan Judo + Muay Thai. what more do you really need for all around self defense?

the problem is Judo has a steep learning curve to do the basics compared to BJJ. when I learned BJJ, I could pull all off all the basic subs within a month. when I took some informal judo lessons it was VERY HARD to perform basic throws and falls.

the guillotine, armbar, triangle etc. can be taught to someone in a day.. at least the basic application. you can actually do it.. you might not be able to apply it in a live situation, but you can physically do the moves and understand the mechanics.

you can't do the judo throws and falls immediately after someone teaches you.. STEEP STEEP learning curve.
06-08-2016, 03:34 PM
(06-08-2016 03:01 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  you can't do the judo throws and falls immediately after someone teaches you.. STEEP STEEP learning curve.

Dude. I know. I'm been the 'Judo Guy' at Nogi BJJ schools for years and can definitely catch BJJ Black-Belts off-guard with big throws.

Last fall I started going to a small Judo club nearby with ZERO reputation, and it was humiliating how bad I was at it. Again, I'm the type of geek that practices breakfalls and forward rolls on concrete at midnight and I couldn't even do one thing right in average Judo school.
06-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I was able to tap all of the Judo instructors, but they were much more SOLID on the ground than I expected. Very powerful Base and Pinning that was very different from Wrestlers. Not saying better or worse, just very different.

That said, Judo guys are bad at transitioning from their backs they probably couldn't stand back up if their life depended on it. Judo puts no value on fighting to get out of bad spots, they just go into stall and survive mode (like many Japanese fighters vs BJJ guys did in Pride).
06-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Yep. It's tough. You can only learn through tons of practice and repetition.

glad you understood my point. I showed my ex-gf some basic BJJ subs + guard and she knew how to apply them on a basic level almost immediately.

yet when I took informal judo lessons, the mechanics and physics are so fine you literally cannot perform the moves right away at all.
06-08-2016, 03:41 PM
wrestling is also good for the street... a strong double leg takedown is lethal on concrete.

you shovel the guy up and slam them onto the ground.

wrestling and JUDO are both good bases IMO.

JUDO used to have all the subs but US ALLIES stripped the subs and had them concentrate on throws.

they also banned martial arts wholesale for awhile.
06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
(06-08-2016 03:01 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  the guillotine, armbar, triangle etc. can be taught to someone in a day.. at least the basic application. you can actually do it.. you might not be able to apply it in a live situation, but you can physically do the moves and understand the mechanics.

That's exactly how the Marines combative program works. They familiarize the guys with the basic subs, positions and takedowns, and they think they know it all. Then they go into a BJJ school and gas-out in 30 seconds then go outside to puke.

I wonder why self-defence lessons even bother teaching Osoto Gari or Seoi Nage. I can barely pull that stuff off without the opponent making a major mistake, for the average person it's going to be a dismal failure.
06-08-2016, 03:45 PM
I'm glad you guys commented. I actually find this video quite curious. The woman is so skilled, she actually perfectly sets-up the Seoi-Nage with a Kosoto-Gari. She perfectly catches his rebound and immediately catches her grips and drops into the opening for the throw. That takes most people years upon years. Some very advanced principles at work in something that looks so simple.

06-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Quote:That's exactly how the Marines combative program works. They familiarize the guys with the basic subs, positions and takedowns, and they think they know it all. Then they go into a BJJ school and gas-out in 30 seconds then go outside to puke.

yeah. you won't be able to do it on a seasoned BJJ guy with just a basic rundown, but IMO you absolutely can apply a basic knowledge of these subs in an effective way on the street. the guillotine and rear naked are 2 very effective moves that I believe the avg. joe can learn in a day

but let's say you take 2-3 seminars on judo throws and breakfalls.. you will not be able to able to apply that stuff on the avg. joe IMO. the mechanics for throwing just cannot be learned that quickly. also how to properly fall is tough to learn.

I knew a japanese guy that was a hit by a car and flew up 15 feet into the air and performed a judo breakfall, saving his life. the stuff works, but it's hard to learn. many japanese kids learn JUDO in middle school/high school so they know how it works.
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
(06-08-2016 03:00 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  BJJ is the worst style for the street since all the snaky positions leave you very vulnerable to a 2nd attacker.

There is truth to that. Sporty BJJ uses loose guard positions that leave them defenseless to puches and take 5 steps to setup. But BJJ also teaches good survival instincts and the ability to return to the feet; fighting out of tight spots.

Sport Judo has a tendency to over-commit and over-rotate (makikomi everything), which could lead to splitting your own head on the mat.

What you expect, is that the people who have a self-defense mindset have the common sense to see the difference between what is effective vs an equally skilled opponent in sparring, and at what would be the smart, safe tactic in a real street fight.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RIP Quincy Rice aka Train Judo Redneck 34 4,537 02-18-2017 08:16 AM
Last Post: ba_dass
Video Rizin 2 9/25/16 Gracie, Crazy Horse, Cro Cop, Souwer johan 18 1,710 09-29-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: kungfool
Video Mongolian snaps arm of defending Judo gold medalist Sarah Menezes (Rio 2016) johan 4 1,033 08-25-2016 08:22 PM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA
  Tai Chi Master vs Judo Black Belt Redneck 12 2,462 04-13-2016 11:59 AM
Last Post: EVILYOSHIDA