Login | Register

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here.
04-26-2013, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 02:52 AM by DONG JOHNSON.)
Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here.
My friend came back from HK recently. She was a model here but live in HK permanently now because she's a big time TV show host there now. She fills me with fobby culture and to be honest I love it.

We went Karaoke last friday and she sang all Taiwan/Hong Kong songs. I live in Toronto in an Asian neighborhood, so I always hear these songs play in the supermarkets. What I love about Asian music like Jay Chou and the 4 sky kings is that they are corny as hell. I find when I listen to western music(hip pop, euro), they make me feel aggressive and animalistic. Almost no emotions. The energy they channel is violent and sexual. Where as Asian music makes me miss my girlfriend. They make you feel love and some type of deeper emotion.

I remember my first girlfriend set this song as my alarm every morning. I'd wake up loving her. I never cheated on her and we had a very wholesome relationship.

Ah those were the days.

We watched a Stephen Chow movie after. I was baked. It was hilarious.

Forget what it was called but he ran a company where people pay him to play pranks on people they don't like. It was fucking jokes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 03:19 AM
RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here.
Chinese music does seem to very very romantic.

Jay Chou is a good talent. he's very original.

I have grown to appreciate his music.

Those who know, know! Big Grin
04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
Stephen Chow movies are excellent. Watch King of Comedy. really good!

04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
western pop is low on emotion generally. however when they do get emotional it's this WHINEY white guy stuff. OMG .it was cool when it was just coldplay and a few others, but it seems to be everywhere now.

04-26-2013, 03:26 AM
(04-26-2013 03:20 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  Stephen Chow movies are excellent. Watch King of Comedy. really good!

Have you seen his latest, Journey To The West? He didn't act in it at all, but wrote and directed it.
04-26-2013, 03:27 AM
regarding ballads

Kpop = way too much exaggerated emotion. way too much 'saranghae' every second. way too much crooning and vocal acrobatics.

Jpop = they are masters of conjuring up nostalgia in their ballads

Cpop = meaningful lyrics, mellow vibe, seems romantic. lacks innovation in music, but sounds quite sincere.

04-26-2013, 03:28 AM
(04-26-2013 03:26 AM)Otsuka Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 03:20 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  Stephen Chow movies are excellent. Watch King of Comedy. really good!

Have you seen his latest, Journey To The West? He didn't act in it at all, but wrote and directed it.

no but i'm a big fan of his work.

i've seen most of his stuff, if not all before CJ7. then suddenly I stopped getting interested in movies.

Life of Pi is the only recent movie that I watched in the theatre. It was good.

04-26-2013, 03:34 AM
(04-26-2013 02:49 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote:  My friend came back from HK recently. She was a model here but live in HK permanently now because she's a big time TV show host there now. She fills me with fobby culture and to be honest I love it.

Whats the name of your friend? and which TV station does she work for? I live in HK now... so I can probably tune in if I have the channel.
04-26-2013, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 03:34 AM by DONG JOHNSON.)
Stephen Chow is one of the most successful guys in HK. he has more money than Jackie Chan. He's worth like half a billion USD due to his investments or something.

Dude is ridiculously smart. I read his natal chart. He has an air grand trine. so does Alex Jones and Oprah btw.
04-26-2013, 03:35 AM
how is Tony Leung's chart?

04-26-2013, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 03:39 AM by DONG JOHNSON.)
(04-26-2013 03:34 AM)Otsuka Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 02:49 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote:  My friend came back from HK recently. She was a model here but live in HK permanently now because she's a big time TV show host there now. She fills me with fobby culture and to be honest I love it.

Whats the name of your friend? and which TV station does she work for? I live in HK now... so I can probably tune in if I have the channel.

i was going to post pics to make this thread better but there are some bitter putrid idiots on this site.

i'm not sure if i trust them messaging her.

1 google search you'll see all her pics and agent info etc.

She is also a friend of my ex-girlfriend. i'm going to leave that alone.

(04-26-2013 03:35 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  how is Tony Leung's chart?

it's weird how Cancer sun rules the box office.

Stephen Chow and Tony Leung are both Cancer sun.

in the west. 4 of the top 10 box office draws of all time are cancer suns. Tom Hanks #1. Tom Cruise #2. + Robbin Williams and Harrison Ford.

Cancer suns are usually the biggest box office draws.
04-26-2013, 03:39 AM
btw, the last HK flick I watched was Ip Man: Final Fight. No, this is not Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3D (which is in the works). It stars Anthony Wong, who usually plays the villain in triad movies. But he is a much better actor than Yen. Though the fights are not as good as Yen's, obviously, this one has a better story, and paints a better and more accurate picture of 50s and 60s Hong Kong.
04-26-2013, 03:41 AM
post more of your favorite Asian songs and movie clips. Let's go fob here.

04-26-2013, 03:42 AM
(04-26-2013 03:39 AM)Otsuka Wrote:  btw, the last HK flick I watched was Ip Man: Final Fight. No, this is not Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3D (which is in the works). It stars Anthony Wong, who usually plays the villain in triad movies. But he is a much better actor than Yen. Though the fights are not as good as Yen's, obviously, this one has a better story, and paints a better and more accurate picture of 50s and 60s Hong Kong.

I want to watch Grandmasters by Wong Kar wai. it looks very stylish.

it is another movie about Yip Man. huge yip man craze in that last few years.

04-26-2013, 03:46 AM

Very interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Food you enjoy thread pug-thug 187 40,548 11-27-2018 03:29 AM
Last Post: pug-thug
  Billy Corgan predicts the future of independent music pug-thug 38 3,785 10-29-2018 01:09 AM
Last Post: Chaos Reigns
  Interesting CT Book on Music Theory kungfool 61 10,149 10-27-2018 05:50 PM
  China To Ban Tattoos And ‘Hip-Hop Culture’ From TV Shows pug-thug 56 4,349 10-16-2018 03:05 AM