Login | Register

NASA dropping heavy metals into the atmosphere, it's cool
10-08-2015, 05:08 AM
NASA dropping heavy metals into the atmosphere, it's cool
Quote:NASA is putting on a colorful light show in the sky tonight
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/7/947054...unch-watch

Tonight's sunset might look rather unusual if you live on the East Coast of the United States. NASA will be launching a rocket from the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia that will release payloads of barium and strontium into the atmosphere, turning parts of the night sky blue-green and others red.

NASA does this kind of experiment every so often in order to study the flows of ionized and neutral particles in the upper atmosphere. The agency uses luminescent chemicals like barium to better visualize and track clouds of these particles as they get moved around in the ionosphere by the Earth's magnetic field. (The launch has to be very carefully scheduled, because the chemicals need sunlight to become luminescent, but the observer needs to be watching a dark sky.) NASA is also notes that the amount of barium and strontium used in the test "is much smaller than that used in a typical July 4th fireworks display and poses no hazard to the community."

The launch will also serve another purpose. The rocket being used is a Black Brant IX suborbital rocket, one that NASA hopes to eventually use to eject payloads like experiments or microsatellites into low orbit. This particular Black Brant rocket was built using some unconventional techniques and materials. Some of its parts were 3D-printed, and there are no welds in the body of the rocket cylinder, which was made possible by an entirely different fabrication process called "near net shaping." The hope is that these innovations could someday lower a rocket's mass and, in turn, its cost.

The rocket is scheduled to launch between 7:00PM and 9:00PM ET, and the chemical payloads will be released about six minutes after liftoff. NASA says that it should be visible as far as 235 miles north of the launch site (New York City and Long Island), 232 miles south of it (near Morehead City, North Carolina), and 165 miles west (Charlottesville, Virginia). That all depends on the weather conditions, though. If you're having trouble seeing it, or live outside that area, NASA will also be streaming the event, which we will embed above when it goes live.

They do this from time to time because science. Go outside, breathe deep and watch the colors!

“Reality denied comes back to haunt.”
― Philip K. Dick, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 05:13 AM
RE: NASA dropping heavy metals into the atmosphere, it's cool
Doing the Lord's work.

Did you hear they found water on Mars?

[Image: matt-damon-on-mars.jpg?w=650&h=387]

come for the calo, stay for the yoshida brotha
10-08-2015, 05:18 AM
How long until the environmentalists stary complaining?
10-08-2015, 05:28 AM
(10-08-2015 05:18 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  How long until the environmentalists stary complaining?

"You must be some sort of chemtrail-tard, huh?"*

*Completely sarcastic.

My point is that environmentalists have been complaining about elevated levels of aluminum, barium and strontium in the environment for at least 20 years. They are dismissed as crazy. Meanwhile, "NASA does this kind of experiment every so often", ho hum.

10-08-2015, 05:36 AM
I'm almost positive smart phones are carcinogenic. At this point, no one fucking cares anymore.

The important thing is accepting Caitlyn Jenner as a beautiful woman that is brave, because Bruce Jenner ran over and killed some people.

If you don't agree that Caitlyn Jenner is a beautiful woman and a hero, then that's what we should be discussing right now.

That's what's important.

Now let's reflect upon what's really important right now and enjoy some Star Wars Campbell's soup:

10-08-2015, 05:38 AM
^^ Puts a whole new spin on "lightsaber duel".

10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Cock fighting

10-10-2015, 03:41 AM
How typical are two dad families that Campbell's is targeting them for soup sales?

It's just fucking ridiculous.

10-10-2015, 03:59 AM
(10-10-2015 03:41 AM)Winnson Wrote:  How typical are two dad families that Campbell's is targeting them for soup sales?

It's just fucking ridiculous.

According to the 2010 US Census data there were 594,000 same-sex couples reporting. Now, obviously, there's a lot more in the closet, but we've got 594,000 openly gay couples out there. Out of a country with 309 million people as of 2010.

Out of the 594,000 same-sex couple households, 115,000 reported having children. Of course, with how this is represented in the census, I don't know how many of those couples are dudes, even less data on how many are dudes who love Star Wars.

The point here is if they are trying to sell soup to less than one percent of the population, that's a really dumb choice from a market share perspective. But we all know what they are really doing is cultural engineering. And the straight moms who still traditionally buy the soup for their family are eating it up.

10-10-2015, 04:18 AM
Hot button topic! It's a hot button topic!

I hope there is major fucking backlash. I got nothing against the gays, but hate this agenda-driven bullshit.

Why not market to amputees that own strange exotic pets? I bet there are more of those.

10-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Apparently NASA's not feeling the love

10-11-2015, 01:38 PM
NASA's response? "Go look at the pretty lights we put in the air and breathe deep."

10-12-2015, 12:34 AM
I wonder where all that NASA money goes?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jaw dropping video. Just click it. pug-thug 5 183 06-30-2020 03:34 PM
Last Post: CTsar
  A "Let's Cool Down" Karasu GF thread :) karasu 66 1,750 04-07-2020 10:35 AM
Last Post: karasu
  Bees dropping dead under 5G towers pug-thug 11 386 04-07-2020 06:38 AM
Last Post: karasu
  NASA sponsored dolphin-human sex experiment in 60’s Beefsteak Charlie 7 341 03-20-2020 09:53 AM
Last Post: Beefsteak Charlie