Evil Academy
Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Printable Version

+- Evil Academy (http://www.evilyoshida.com)
+-- Forum: Discourse (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Freethinker's Academy (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. (/thread-1119.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 01:14 AM

(04-26-2013 04:19 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote:  I think Asians in general are not emotional enough to get swindled. We were talking about national astrology. I'm used to be in sales. The hardest people to sell to are Asians. White people and black people get swindled once in a while because they act on impulse once in a while or emotional. Asians are rarely, especially those with high level of business dealings in Asia.

Chinese people once they reach a certain level they'll only grow. The only way to defeat China is invasion.

The Art of War may be a factor. The culture may be a factor

Wonder if studies were done of selling to Asians in their native tongue vs selling to them in English will have any bearing to Asians being are hard sells

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - EVILYOSHIDA - 01-30-2014 01:16 AM

(01-30-2014 01:10 AM)Stickgrappler Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 03:49 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote:  Asian film has really dropped off the map.

By "Asian" if you mean Hong Kong - then yeah i agree for awhile it definitely did. Actually still may be down in the dregs outside of some of Johnnie To's films

But "Asian" should include Japanese, Korean, Thai, Indonesian - and Korean cinema has been taken notice by Western critics. I'm not a fan of horror films but there were plenty of notable Korean horror films. Of course there were the My Sassy Girl, Shiri and Oldboy darlings of the critics to pave the way for the rest of Korean cinema and it is a major Asian playa

On the strength of Tony Jaa's Ong Bak, the world took notice of Thai cinema followed by Chocolate etc

And by virtue of one movie, The Raid: Redemption - Indonesia is not to be overlooked

yeah but those films were already years ago.

i'm talking maybe last 5 years or so. virtually nothing.

grandmaster by wkw was a travesty. all style no substance.

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - The Diet Butcher - 01-30-2014 02:15 AM

Grandmaster was a snooze fest.

I don't pay attention to any of the new HK movies these days unless it's a martial arts flick featuring real martial artists, like Yen, Sammo, etc. Even some of the new breed like Phil Ng, who aren't just pretty boy actors who learned a few moves.

SG, I just read your blog entry on meeting Donnie Yen. What did you think of Special ID?

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - The Diet Butcher - 01-30-2014 04:14 AM

This has got to be the most annoying talk show host ever. If Chow spoke better English, he would have destroyed him.

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - DonJohnson - 01-30-2014 04:26 AM

(01-29-2014 10:06 PM)Stickgrappler Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 02:49 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote:  We watched a Stephen Chow movie after. I was baked. It was hilarious.

Forget what it was called but he ran a company where people pay him to play pranks on people they don't like. It was fucking jokes.

TRICKY BRAINS - one of my all-time favorite HK movies

Came out around the time of when Stephen Chow was at the height of his 'mo lei tau' fame

Thank you goood sir. Will watch again.

I don't have anymore Chinese friends though lol.

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - DonJohnson - 01-30-2014 04:35 AM

LMAO @ THE OPENING SCENE

Norm Macdonald's movie DIRTY WORK copied this movie imo.

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - DonJohnson - 01-30-2014 04:51 AM

(01-30-2014 04:14 AM)The Diet Butcher Wrote:  This has got to be the most annoying talk show host ever. If Chow spoke better English, he would have destroyed him.

that was painful.

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - EVILYOSHIDA - 01-30-2014 05:04 AM

LMFAO @ that guy. so annoying!

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 05:26 AM

My Top 5 Hong Kong Movies All-Time

1. “The Mission” – directed by Johnnie To; great ensemble cast/chemistry headlined by Anthony Wong Chau-san and Francis Ng Chun-yee. IIRC, this was the first acting role for the great Lam Suet.
2. “A Better Tomorrow I” – The ‘gun-fu’ in any subsequent John Woo movie is better, but this was the first where Woo displays his artistry. This movie launched Chow Yun-fat into superstardom and reinvigorated the oldschool Shaw Brothers megastar Ti Lung’s career. The plot is more original than the sequel’s derivative twin brother device. Leslie Cheung turns in a solid performance.
3. “Infernal Affairs I” – better than the Hollywood drek, The Departed, less explosions, more of the psychological cat and mouse games to out the other mole. Andy Lau, Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Anthony Wong Chau-san, Eric Tsang.
4. “Flash Point” – Donnie Yen at his best! Although a TCMAist, for this movie, he combines some BJJ/MMA to good effect for possibly the greatest onscreen one on one fight scenes ever opposite the talented Collin Chou. Although Donnie’s fans prefer him in period pieces, he prefers the modern day settings so he can incorporate MMA moves into his fights.
5. “Tricky Brains” – Stephen Chow at the height of his ‘mo lei tau’ popularity. Non-sensical comedy. This had me laughing so hard.

That list is probably full of well-known movies. Here are some off-the-beaten path honorable mentions:

“Mad Detective” – dir’d by Johnnie To, starring Sean Lau Ching-wan. This movie will challenge the viewer. This one should be in my Top 5 All-Time Faves. If I had the heart to take one out, it would replace “Tricky Brains”. This movie is slightly more complicated than say Pulp Fiction. If you are the type of viewer who wants a spoon-fed movie, this movie is not for you. If you like to be challenged by your movies like a Fight Club or a Memento, this is a must-see. Retired police detective called out to help on a case. He is borderline insane in his methods in solving cases BUT they work and he solves cases he does. Lau Ching-wan is such a great underrated actor, early on, he was To’s leading man of choice.

“Blind Detective” – dir’d by Johnnie To and reuniting the successful duo, Andy Lau Tak-wah and Sammi Cheng. This is the trio’s 3rd outing together. I liked this a lot, but from the trailer, it wasn’t what I expected. This was a comedy-drama, and well despite a blind detective as the protagonist, I didn’t expect a lot of comedy in this given what was in the trailer. It is no Mad Detective, but still worth the watch especially if you are a To/Lau/Cheng fan.

“The Heroic Trio” – dir’d by Johnnie To – early in his career, before he became an auteur making great crime/police films, this ‘superhero’ fantasy was a delight. Anyone familiar with Asia, especially the China/Taiwan/Hong Kong relationship will see obvious parallels. Stars Anita Mui, Michelle Yeoh, and Maggie Cheung.

“Saviour of the Soul” – starring Andy Lau, Kenny Bee, Anita Mui, and Aaron Kwok. Slight ‘superhero’ fantasy aspects to it made this for me.

“Story of Ricky” – starring a young Louis Fan (did some tv for awhile, then seemed to disappear only to reappear in Donnie’s Ip Man 1) in the live-action version of the Japanese manga Riki-Oh. Over-the-top gory-martial arts-action-literally-rip-your-guts-out-type of action.

“City on Fire” – Ringo Lam directed, Chow-yun fat stars as undercover cop, Danny Lee (in a rare role as a triad instead of his usual police roles) co-stars. Quentin Tarantino made Reservoir Dogs somewhat based on this movie.

“The Killer” / “Hardboiled” / “Bullet in the Head” – well known movies directed by John Woo, needs to be mentioned.

“Supercop” / “Operation Condor” / “Police Story” / loads more Jackie Chan movies needs to be mentioned. My fave of them all is Armor of God. A Chinese Indiana Jones.

Loads more… those are off the top of my head

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 05:30 AM

(01-30-2014 04:26 AM)DonJohnson Wrote:  
(01-29-2014 10:06 PM)Stickgrappler Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 02:49 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote:  We watched a Stephen Chow movie after. I was baked. It was hilarious.

Forget what it was called but he ran a company where people pay him to play pranks on people they don't like. It was fucking jokes.

TRICKY BRAINS - one of my all-time favorite HK movies

Came out around the time of when Stephen Chow was at the height of his 'mo lei tau' fame

Thank you goood sir. Will watch again.

I don't have anymore Chinese friends though lol.

Enjoy! The Baldy Wong scene is incredible!!

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 05:45 AM

(01-30-2014 02:15 AM)The Diet Butcher Wrote:  , I just read your blog entry on meeting Donnie Yen. What did you think of Special ID?

Thank you TDB!

it's not perfect or great. It may be a stretch to call it 'good' or not. But I liked it. It's definitely no Flash Point although it had the ingredients and that's what disappoints.

There was some drama and tension with his undercover possibly being blown. Possible romantic tension between him and rottie Tian Jing. Andy On stole the show IMO Fights could've been tad better

Given I paid money to see it and got to meet Donnie that day I chalk it all up to I liked it - sad part of the whole day though was I was next to ask a Q abc they ended it lololol

------

At the 4th Annual New York Chinese Film Festival - After Ip Man 1 finished, Donnie Yen arrived for a Q&A

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/11/i-met-donnie-yen-at-4th-annual-new-york.html

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - DonJohnson - 01-30-2014 06:22 AM

Has anyone seen this movie in its entirety? It is seriously the funniest movie of all times. I have never laughed through a movie this hard before. It's funnier than Tricky Brain, Kung Fu Hustle and even the great Dumb and Dumber.

If you understand Cantonese, this movie is a trip. All star cast too. I don't know how they got that many people together for a silly movie like this.

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 06:29 AM

(01-30-2014 06:22 AM)DonJohnson Wrote:  Has anyone seen this movie in its entirety? It is seriously the funniest movie of all times. I have never laughed through a movie this hard before. It's funnier than Tricky Brain, Kung Fu Hustle and even the great Dumb and Dumber.

If you understand Cantonese, this movie is a trip. All star cast too. I don't know how they got that many people together for a silly movie like this.

I haven't. When I have time I will check out

RE: Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - DonJohnson - 01-30-2014 06:30 AM

CHECK IT OUT. TRUST ME

Do you need a cantonese link? this link above i just found out is mandarin.

Chinese Culture. Movies. Music. Food. Here. - Stickgrappler - 01-30-2014 06:31 AM

At one time :

Myolie Wu

[attachment=104][attachment=105][attachment=106][attachment=107]