Evil Academy

Full Version: Bill Clinton accepted a $363k party + $500k donation from a children's charity?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one of the most shameful money grab revelations I've seen to come out of the Clinton Foundation scandal. A school-building charity threw a $363,000 party where Bill Clinton was bestowed a bogus award, and had to pay him half a million dollars for the privilege to do so. Granted, the gala did raise a lot of money that night, however the donation to the Clinton Foundation alone amounted to a quarter of the night's proceeds. If Bill was a decent person who truly believed in charity, he should've turned around and given most of that money back. However half a million dollars into the Clinton's personal slush fund is more important than helping children.

Politics

An Award for Bill Clinton Came With $500,000 for His Foundation

By DEBORAH SONTAG
MAY 29, 2015

[Image: 6DpGCYnl.jpg]
The Czech model Petra Nemcova honored Bill Clinton at her Happy Hearts Fund's gala in New York in June 2014.

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, Petra Nemcova, a Czech model who survived the disaster by clinging to a palm tree, decided to pull out all the stops for the annual fund-raiser of her school-building charity, the Happy Hearts Fund.

She booked Cipriani 42nd Street, which greeted guests with Bellini cocktails on silver trays. She flew in Sheryl Crow with her band and crew for a 20-minute set. She special-ordered heart-shaped floral centerpieces, heart-shaped chocolate parfaits, heart-shaped tiramisù and, because orange is the charity’s color, an orange carpet rather than a red one. She imported a Swiss auctioneer and handed out orange rulers to serve as auction paddles, playfully threatening to use hers to spank the highest bidder for an Ibiza vacation.

The gala cost $363,413. But the real splurge? Bill Clinton.

The former president of the United States agreed to accept a lifetime achievement award at the June 2014 event after Ms. Nemcova offered a $500,000 contribution to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation. The donation, made late last year after the foundation sent the charity an invoice, amounted to almost a quarter of the evening’s net proceeds — enough to build 10 preschools in Indonesia.

Happy Hearts’ former executive director believes the transaction was a quid pro quo, which rerouted donations intended for a small charity with the concrete mission of rebuilding schools after natural disasters to a large foundation with a broader agenda and a budget 100 times bigger.

“The Clinton Foundation had rejected the Happy Hearts Fund invitation more than once, until there was a thinly veiled solicitation and then the offer of an honorarium,” said the former executive director, Sue Veres Royal, who held that position at the time of the gala and was dismissed a few weeks later amid conflicts over the gala and other issues.

Press officers for Ms. Nemcova and the Clinton Foundation said on Thursday that the foundation had not solicited the donation and that the money would be used for projects in Haiti, as yet undetermined.

The Happy Hearts Fund and the Clinton Foundation “have a shared goal of providing meaningful help to Haiti,” the school charity’s spokeswoman said. “We believe that we can create the most impactful change by working together.”

Never publicly disclosed, the episode provides a window into the way the Clinton Foundation relies on the Clintons’ prestige to amass donors large and small, offering the prospect, as described in the foundation’s annual report, of lucrative global connections and participation in a worldwide mission to “unlock human potential” through “the power of creative collaboration.”

Similarly, Ms. Nemcova, like other celebrity philanthropists, uses her fame to promote her charity — which has financed more than 110 schools, mostly kindergartens — just as she uses Happy Hearts to position herself as a model-humanitarian.

“This is primarily a small but telling example of the way the Clintons operate,” said Doug White, who directs the master’s program in fund-raising management at Columbia University. “The model has responsibility; she paid a high price for a feel-good moment with Bill Clinton. But he was riding the back of this small charity for what? A half-million bucks? I find it — what would be the word? — distasteful.”

Long piece, the rest is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/us/pol...ation.html
Quote:At the 2014 gala, Chopard, a Swiss jeweler that was dedicating partial proceeds from a heart-shaped bracelet to the charity, set up lighted showcases in the cocktail area, Ms. Veres Royal said.

“They were peddling exorbitant jewelry at a gala that was supposed to focus on children who have lost their belongings, homes, and often friends and family members,” she said. “It was inappropriate and tacky. Too many people at that event were looking after their own interests first.”

Quote:Mr. Clinton’s scheduler replied with a cordial rejection — “Regrettably, he is committed to another event out of town that same evening” — in an email copied to Frank Giustra, the Canadian mining financier who is one of the Clinton Foundation’s largest donors and also a supporter of Ms. Nemcova.

Ms. Nemcova then met with officers at the Clinton Foundation, Ms. Veres Royal said. Afterward, she said, “Petra called me and said we have to include an honorarium for him — that they don’t look at these things unless money is offered, and it has to be $500,000.”

Quote:When charities select an honoree for their fund-raising events, they generally expect that the award recipient will help them raise money by attracting new donors. But the Happy Hearts Fund raised less money at the gala featuring Mr. Clinton than it did at its previous one.

Further, it is extremely rare for honorees, or their foundations, to be paid from a gala’s proceeds, charity experts said — as it is for the proceeds to be diverted to a different cause.

Quote:Outside Cipriani, protesters, mostly Haitian-Americans frustrated with the earthquake reconstruction effort, stood behind barricades holding signs.

“Clinton, where is the money?” they chanted. “In whose pockets?”
That's sort of how charity works boss. If giving makes you feel good, go for it, but I wouldn't advise looking into where your donation goes.

Just enjoy the tax write off.
Former leader of the free world right there.
And I think the last one that got any sort of respect while in office.

Yeah, politicians are just the best aren't they? It's great to know they are in charge.
The 'man' has no shame.
Suck my dick Monica Lewinsky!

The cool thing about that was he had no idea what her name was until after it made the news.

She was just another chick that sucked his dick.

Slick Willy! Now give me 500 thousand dollars!
(06-01-2015 12:00 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]That's sort of how charity works boss. If giving makes you feel good, go for it, but I wouldn't advise looking into where your donation goes.

Just enjoy the tax write off.

Some charities are A LOT better than others.

You can go on GUIDESTAR.net and look at their budgets.
Look really closely at where everything goes and tell me how great any big organized charity is.

I've raised millions for charity in my lifetime, mostly cancer research because of Terry Fox - and Oxfam, and then started paying attention.

I don't raise so much for charity anymore.

What would you consider a good charity Rako?
I've worked in the nonprofit industry for over a decade. Generally speaking, the smaller the organization, the more of it's time, energy and finances are spent on its cause. The larger the organization, the more time, energy and finances are spent on the organization.

All nonprofits in the United States are required to put their IRS 990 filings out for public consumption. Sites like Guidestar mentioned above will help you to weed the good from the bad. Keep in mind, though, that places like the Clinton Foundation have accountants and lawyers well-versed in the shell game of dummy holdings and off-shore accounts. On the surface, I'm sure they look clean.

You spend time reading enough IRS form 990s, though, and you start to see certain patterns emerge. Remember: Money never disappears. We have this tendency, I think, to spend our money and think 'poof' it's gone. But, if you want, you can watch the same million dollars move from foundation to foundation to foundation, never technically being 'profit', and yet all it's really doing is sitting in someone's portfolio somewhere making somebody a nice chunk of change.
Reference URL's