Evil Academy

Full Version: St Peter Damian's 1100AD Letter To The Pope RE: Pedophilia/Sodomy Amongst Clergy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You know what they say about absolute power. Throughout human history men and organizations that have achieved this fall prey to being corrupted. It is inevitable. Without anyone watching the kids play when the mouse is away. History has also proven that organizations do everything possible to cover things up so as not to risk public outcry and threats to their lofty position.

With today's awareness... what is the obvious extrapolation in the case of historical police crimes against civilians when there were no smart phone cameras, no video surveillance cameras, no television, no computers, no internet, no investigative press & no legitimate public over site of policing???

In everyday life on the street until now, police have had absolute power over the public. Without any 'on the street' oversight they have forever had the ability to be judge, jury and executioner with no one but the civilians they are interacting, or who are watching, ever witnessing what they do. Anything those two groups would complain about could be very easily suppressed.

So, what was going on for nearly two millenia when the church and religion-infused law was the absolute power over the people locally, regionally and at the vatican with no independent outside oversight??? Like, in the days when there were no smart phone cameras, no video surveillance cameras, no television, no investigative press & no one that would question the church or the priest.

You younger ones here may not understand this but I think my generation was the last to witness how ingrained into me, and all others prior, to never question anything about the church, the bible, the priest, the bishop, the pope, et al. I mean that was just never done as a Catholic. No two ways about it. If there ever was anything remotely controversial (wedlock pregnancy/divorce/sex/etc), it was never mentioned publicly. These things were absolutely verboten.

On a side note... the word "sex" was never allowed to be said on TV well into the seventies. I'm not sure most of you here can appreciate how far things have moved away from century's old traditional Christian values for public decency just in the past 40 years. You however... have witnessed the result.

Back to the subject... IMO opinion it is somewhat naive to think behavior was not the same, or worse (much more likely), amongst the clergy and the institution of the church for centuries with its unchecked absolute power.

Quote:St. Peter Damian (1007–1072), an eleventh-century monk and man of letters, left a large and significant body of correspondence. Over 180 letters have been preserved, principally from Damian’s own monastery of Fonte Avellana. Ranging in length from short memoranda to longer monographs, the letters provide a contemporary account of many of the controversies of the eleventh century: purgatory, the Eucharist, clerical marriage and celibacy, immorality, and others. Peter Damian, or “Peter the Sinner” as he often referred to himself, was one of the most learned men of his day, and his letters are filled with both erudition and zeal for reform.

Quote:St Peter Damian (11TH Century)

St Peter, a hermit and scholar, denounced clerical sex abuse and was an influential reforming bishop and cardinal.

[Image: peter-damian.jpg]

St Peter Damian (1007-72) was a hermit and scholar. He denounced clerical sex abuse. He was an influential reforming bishop and cardinal. Pope Leo XII declared him a doctor of the Church in 1828. Patrick Duffy tells his story.

Early life
Peter was born at Ravenna into a large but poor family. He lost both his parents in childhood and while supposedly in the care of his brother was being treated as a slave. Another brother Damian was archpriest at Ravenna. He rescued Peter, gave him a good education in grammar, rhetoric and law at Faenza and Parma and Peter became a professor at Ravenna. In gratitude Peter took Damian as his second name.

[Image: peter-damian1.jpg]

An ascetic
Peter was already leading an ascetic life, fasting, wearing a hair shirt and using the discipline when he joined the Camaldolese Benedictine followers of St Romuald at Fonte Avellana. On the abbot’s death in 1043, Peter became the head of his community and founded five other hermitages. He was kind to his monks and compassionate towards the genuinely repentant, but he also urged reform both of wandering monks and the clergy.

No-nonsense reformer on behalf of the Popes
Because of his disciplined, blunt, and no-nonsense character, the popes of this period kept choosing him to carry out diplomatic missions: Pope St Leo IX (1049-54) chose him to preach against simony, clerical concubinage and sodomy. Pope Stephen IX (1057-58) made him cardinal-bishop of Ostia, near Rome, and apostolic administrator of the diocese of Gubbio. Nicholas II (1059-61) sent him to Milan to stamp out the buying and selling of clerical benefices there and in 1069 Alexander II (1061-73) sent him to Mainz in Germany to dissuade the young King Henry IV from divorcing his wife Bertha.

[Image: peter-damian-2.jpg]

His writings
Around 1050, during the pontificate of Pope Leo IX, Peter published a treatise on the vices of the clergy entitled The Book of Gomorrah. He denounced as sinful all homosexual practices.

Not unlike writings on clerical abuse today, it got a mixed response. Another work, written around 1053, entitled Liber Gratissimus, upholding the validity of the orders of simoniacal clerics, though it also got a mixed reception at the time, had a powerful influence in resolving the question. He also was a notable poet; one of his poems praises St Gregory the Great as Anglorum iam apostolus.

Last mission and death
Peter’s final mission was to Ravenna where he was again successful. On his way back to Rome, he died of fever at Faenza. Never officially canonised, he was made a doctor of the Church by Pope Leo XII in 1828.

http://www.catholicireland.net/saintofth...er-damian/

Quote:The Fathers of the Church: Mediaeval Continuation (15 vols.)
Authors:
Thomas Aquinas
Lanfranc of Canterbury
Grosseteste, Robert
Abelard, Peter
Alfonsi, Petrus
Peter the Venerable
Damian, Peter
Albert the Great
Scotus, John
DunsSeuse, Heinrich
Guitmund of Aversa

[Image: 978-0-8132-1519-8-frontcover.jpg]

The Letters of Peter Damian: 31–60

Author: Peter Damian
Translator: Owen J. Blum
Series: Fathers of the Church: Mediaeval Continuation
Publisher: Catholic University of America
Publication Date: 1990
Pages: 422

Letters 31 and 40 are long treatises, each published separately in critical editions. Letter 31, also known as the Book of Gomorrah, deplores the degradation of the priesthood through the vice of sodomy and appeals to Pope Leo IX to educate and purge the clergy. Letter 40, perhaps his most celebrated work, is also called the Liber Gratissimus.

[Image: Untitled.jpg] [Image: 31vjpt1e-wL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Catholic University of America
http://cuapress.cua.edu/books/viewbook.cfm?Book=FM03
http://cuapress.cua.edu/books/viewbook.cfm?Book=FM02
https://www.logos.com/product/43459/the-...uation#002

The Catholic University of America (CUA) is a private university located in Washington, D.C. in the United States. It is a pontifical university of the Catholic Church in the United States and the only institution of higher education founded by the U.S. Catholic bishops.[4] Established in 1887 as a graduate and research center following approval by Pope Leo XIII on Easter Sunday,[5] the university began offering undergraduate education in 1904. The university's campus lies within the Brookland neighborhood, known as "Little Rome", which contains 60 Catholic institutions, including Trinity Washington University and the Dominican House of Studies.

It has been ranked as one of the nation's best colleges by the Princeton Review,[6] one of the best values of any private school in the country by Kiplinger's,[7] "one of the most eco-friendly universities in the country,"[8] was awarded the "highest federal recognition an institution can receive" for community service,[9] and has been recommended by the Cardinal Newman Society in The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College.[6] It was described as one of the 25 most underrated colleges in the United States.[10]

CUA's programs emphasize the liberal arts, professional education, and personal development. The school stays closely connected with the Catholic Church and Catholic organizations. The American Cardinals Dinner is put on by the residential U.S. cardinals each year to raise scholarship funds for CUA. The university has a long history of working with the Knights of Columbus; the university's law school and basilica have dedications to the involvement and support of the Knights.

The university has been visited twice by reigning popes. Pope John Paul II visited on October 7, 1979.[11] On April 16, 2008, Pope Benedict XVI gave an address at the campus about Catholic education and academic freedom.[12][13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catholi...of_America

Book Preview
[Image: 43459_002_01.jpg][Image: 43459_002_02.jpg]
[Image: 43459_002_03.jpg][Image: 43459_002_04.jpg]
[Image: 43459_002_05.jpg][Image: 43459_002_06.jpg]
[Image: 43459_002_07.jpg]
someone here's not gonna like this
Thanks for the posting the info dagwood!
I bet there has never ever been a religion that has so much literature on ass-fucking

Or sex in general, really. I doubt even tantric yoga has as many volumes on the matter.
good stuff, will review in more detail later.
Interesting.
11th century eh....

Obviously Soviet agents went back in time to infiltrate the church and commit sex crimes in order undermine it's credibility.
I was real church boy when I was a kid and no one in the clergy ever laid a hand on me.

I had a high school teacher that was keen and always wanted me to 'come over for drinks', but no one in the churches I was involved with growing up ever even made a slight pass.

I think there were some 'funny' dudes, but my dad scared the hell out of them. We grew up in very small towns and everyone involved with me in the church knew my dad very well.

I couldn't imagine what he would do to any man that tried to touch me like that.

We had padres and church people over for Sunday dinner all the time when I was growing up and sometimes they'd wrestle with me and my sister.

We'd always ask them why they were so weak and explain to them they were no where near as strong as dad. Why not?

Sis and I thought the church made people weak, LOL.
(06-06-2015 05:15 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]I was real church boy when I was a kid and no one in the clergy ever laid a hand on me.

I had a high school teacher that was keen and always wanted me to 'come over for drinks', but no one in the churches I was involved with growing up ever even made a slight pass.

I think there were some 'funny' dudes, but my dad scared the hell out of them. We grew up in very small towns and everyone involved with me in the church knew my dad very well.

I couldn't imagine what he would do to any man that tried to touch me like that.

We had padres and church people over for Sunday dinner all the time when I was growing up and sometimes they'd wrestle with me and my sister.

We'd always ask them why they were so weak and explain to them they were no where near as strong as dad. Why not?

I did a google image search for "priest do you even lift bro" and was not disappointed.

[Image: oV8nW.jpg]
(06-06-2015 05:51 AM)GMB13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2015 05:15 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]I was real church boy when I was a kid and no one in the clergy ever laid a hand on me.

I did a google image search for "priest do you even lift bro" and was not disappointed.

They sure as hell didn't lift, except maybe kids onto their cocks from time to time!

Hey O!

WTF is that 'vow of chastity' bullshit anyway? You can't find a life partner, but you can rape a kid, confess your sins, and then it is ok?

What the fuck!?
(06-06-2015 07:16 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2015 05:51 AM)GMB13 Wrote: [ -> ]

They sure as hell didn't lift, except maybe kids onto their cocks from time to time!

Hey O!

WTF is that 'vow of chastity' bullshit anyway? You can't find a life partner, but you can rape a kid, confess your sins, and then it is ok?

What the fuck!?

I must admit, the system does have its flaws.
(06-06-2015 06:41 AM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]russias-putin-visit-pope-francis-june-10-vatican-095355145.html

^
Bad timing with this thread Dagwood?

When we talk at the Monday morning briefing I'll tell him I disapprove.
Reference URL's