Evil Academy

Full Version: Duke University Prof Compares Blacks and Asians
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:A Duke University professor faced sharp criticism for online comments he made on The New York Times website, where he compared “the blacks” and “the Asians,” writing that Asians “didn’t feel sorry for themselves, but worked doubly hard.”

The political science professor, Jerry Hough, was responding to a May 9 New York Times editorial about riots in Baltimore and underlying factors of poverty, segregation and racism.

In a six-paragraph response, Hough wrote: “The blacks get awful editorials like this that tell them to feel sorry for themselves.”

Hough identified himself as a Duke University professor in the comments and went on to praise Asians. “Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration,” said the comment. “Virtually every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration. The amount of Asian-white dating is enormous and so surely will be the intermarriage. Black-white dating is almost non-existent because of the ostracism by blacks of anyone who dates a white.”

The comment concluded: “It was appropriate that a Chinese design won the competition for the Martin Luther King state (sic). King helped them overcome. The blacks followed Malcolm X.”
For his sake, I hope he's tenured.
what's with all the racist threads here these days? I thought HA just just canned cuz he was spammin the place up with it

I just see these discussions bring everyone down, there is nothing productive in this kind of thinking, other that leading to more racially driven ideas.
As soon as we start generalizing imo we have started to go astray. Yes there may be some truths to such ideas but the minute we start talking like this we lose contact with the state of mind that has real compassion for the individual. It is down this path where killing becomes easier, and we begin to lose empathy.

Seeing people as universes unto themselves ceases, yet it is this state of mind imo where we see reality the most clearly. In this state, generalizations are meaningless.
as brics noted, it will be interesting to see if he retains his position.

a prof saying stuff like this in 2015 is quite rare and notable.
(05-18-2015 11:30 AM)Masato Toys Wrote: [ -> ]As soon as we start generalizing imo we have started to go astray. Yes there may be some truths to such ideas but the minute we start talking like this we lose contact with the state of mind that has real compassion for the individual. It is down this path where killing becomes easier, and we begin to lose empathy.

Seeing people as universes unto themselves ceases, yet it is this state of mind imo where we see reality the most clearly. In this state, generalizations are meaningless.

well I think it is helpful to be open about criticism of all cultures so they can improve themselves. shielding cultures from criticism is racism because you believe they are not capable of handling criticism.
but its airy criticism. Its not real, its criticizing an IDEA that we can choose to hold based on loose shit we heard or saw. Its criticizing massive layers upon layers of assumptions.

I'm not saying to ban the discussion, just realize how thin it is. Its not a discussion of actual people, its a discussion of our own mental images of those people whom we have never seven seen. In many cases, how dare we claim to 'understand' someone and start extrapolating conclusions about them? lol its just so arrogant and rude

Its worthy of some discussion sometimes, but take it too serious and it just starts to sound kind of ridiculous

I was more just curious why there is so much of it here lately.

EY do you agree with the prof? Why do you think its notable? Because he's speaking dangerous truths? Or because of Baltimore? what's your context?
I don't fully agree with the prof but I respect his right to air his views. he isn't being inflammatory and I think these kind of things can spark constructive discussion.

pretending there isn't a problem with urban black culture is to me racist as I noted earlier.

I would also argue that the carte blanche bashing of Asians has contributed to their amazing ascent over the past 50 years.

they have to prove themselves to be accepted
Do you find it easy to remove these ideas from your psyche when you encounter real people of different skin colors?
I see every person as an individual when I meet them. This is totally true.

however when speaking about groups, you have to generalize and I recognize general trends between cultures and races.

I am a very open minded guy and am not racist at all.

Some people on this board even call me a "black supremacist" whatever that means.

to me I just like open civilized debate
(05-18-2015 10:00 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]“Every Asian student has a very simple old American first name that symbolizes their desire for integration

That's funny. So true. It's like Henry, Harold, Sam, Jim etc.
when asians decide to go to the west, a part of them decides they want to integrate.

for the most part they do, but the wider society tends not to accept them until they act completely white.
you can't talk about anything at all beyond your own life if you don't generalize.

if I say China is a developing country I am generalizing.. If I take the PC retard approach I wouldn't be able to say that because MANY PARTS of china are fully developed and have even exceeded the west.

generalization is the only way to talk about things beyond your own life once again.

Seriously if you weren't able to generalize how would people talk to each other about any issue regarding the world society or culture?

I am very puzzled by the lack of logic in the modern world.
(05-18-2015 11:30 AM)Masato Toys Wrote: [ -> ]Seeing people as universes unto themselves ceases, yet it is this state of mind imo where we see reality the most clearly. In this state, generalizations are meaningless.

I also think the Race discussions are mostly wasted energy.

But I agree with the premise that today's Liberalism is facilitating backwardness.

What we all want to see are the powerful, intelligent and proud Civil Rights leaders make a comeback. Instead we see NAACP Image Awards, pointless riots and real leaders like Rev. Pinkney silenced.
race talks are needed in the west because of multiculturalism. the diff. races need to get along and without a race-realist approach, society will be negatively impacted.

you can't pretend like nothing is happening because stuff is happening and it's due to the clash of races and cultures.

being open and honest about race is critical towards a better functioning society.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's