Evil Academy

Full Version: 100 Malformed Brains Of Former Mental Hospital Patients In Jars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While on an editorial assignment for Scientific American at the University of Texas, photographer Adam Voorhes came across a closet full of… brains. Really. The photographer had originally gone there to photograph just an ordinary brain, but wound up discovering 100 malformed brains in jars, stacked from the floor to the ceiling in a closet.

After some deeper investigation, with the help of journalist Alex Hannaford, Voorhes discovered their origins—they belonged to patients from the Texas State Lunatic Asylum which were transferred to the Austin State Hospital and later gifted to the University of Texas, after the hospital ran out of storage space. Originally universities fought to acquire them for research, but over the years they've gone on to become a neglected collection. Now, Voorhes hopes his rediscovery will preserve their history and value.

Study No. 37: Hydrocephalus internus, May 6, 1970....

[Image: 520d575aa811b4dab72b715d4803aa44_970x.jpg]

This brain belonged to a patient suffering from lissencephaly, which causes smooth surfaces rather than folds on portions of the brain. A perfectly smooth brain such as this is extremely rare....

[Image: 0309deda16209e8a3cddbdf0a0e5b8fb_970x.jpg]

This cracked jar and illegible label illustrate neglect of guardianship for the collection.

[Image: 37838edff06ee331cacfad44b3a46577_970x.jpg]

This heart and brain, preserved together, had the consistency of jelly.

[Image: 69ac60f34f113741cd9c73c4cddf7ecc_970x.jpg]

Three brains of people who had Down syndrome.

[Image: 9c7b39336e4a8b9986884f1031781753_970x.jpg]

The brain of someone who suffered from a buildup of fluid inside the skull and brain

[Image: e3ceb995c1240a46a552babb0bad0aa1_970x.jpg]

This is the brain that made Voorhes want to find the medical records of the brains. The case number was partially illegible but could be salvaged.

[Image: 3e8a2b8aa7816fbea63cec2b05598fda_970x.jpg]

One of three dyed segments of brain used for teaching.

[Image: 72ddb6028deefd2475229dd486e9f753_970x.jpg]

In an interview with Slate, Voorhes says, "Many of the patients suffered from disorders that could be managed today. ... I’m surprised they passed away in a mental hospital rather than an emergency room." He adds, "I wanted to preserve the collection, if only visually… It spurred so many questions that kept floating around in my head, most of them are still unanswered."
Check out the rest of Vorhees work here... http://www.voorhes.com/
incredible
They say live brains have the consistency of toothpaste, and preserved brains are more like cheese.

Amazing things brains.
cool
Brains are mostly comprised of fat, 60% fat! Eat healthy amino acids and healthy fats to contribute to a healthy organ

Gut bacteria, which influence the body's use of vitamin B6, can affect autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis as well as developmental disorders like autism. Eat your probiotics
Would crack cocaine help my brain?

^New hit single^
(12-11-2014 04:22 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]Would crack cocaine help my brain?

^New hit single^

[Image: zBXmugH.gif]
I don't care what the vote count is, The Anti-Archon for poster of the year.

Or me again.

Either of those outcomes are acceptable.

The House of Pain is in effect y'all!
freaky freaky stuff.

wasn't vorhees a poster on the UG/OG?
(12-11-2014 04:13 AM)what Wrote: [ -> ]Brains are mostly comprised of fat, 60% fat! Eat healthy amino acids and healthy fats to contribute to a healthy organ

Gut bacteria, which influence the body's use of vitamin B6, can affect autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis as well as developmental disorders like autism. Eat your probiotics

No one can fill Dr. Carver's shoes but it's good to see our resident TWINK judoka step up to the plate to take on the challenge.

I must say though I'm a little surprised you just volunteered this information about autism here at EY.com when this knowledge you possess could have made you a FORTUNE helping fellow members cope with this terrible debilitating affliction.
it prevents assburgers too anti, eat you fiber niggs
(12-11-2014 07:56 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]freaky freaky stuff.

wasn't vorhees a poster on the UG/OG?

The name is famous because its also the last name of Jason in the Friday the 13th movies.
Welp, off to Jack in the box.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's