Evil Academy

Full Version: Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure where I stand on this one. I am sympathetic to the Indians position but against banning Columbus day or replacing it entirely, as they desire.

Seattle Changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day

Seattle joins a growing number of cities officially recognizing Native American history

http://time.com/3476651/seattle-indigenous-peoples-day/

Seattle joins a growing number of cities officially recognizing Native American history

Columbus Day will now be known as Indigenous Peoples’ Day in Seattle.

The Seattle City Council on Monday unanimously approved the re-designation, which acknowledges that Native Americans were living in North America well before Christopher Columbus “discovered America” in the 15th century, Reuters reports.

The change, which will go into effect before the Oct. 13 holiday this year, marks the second major city in the U.S. to officially re-designate the day, after Minneapolis’ vote in April. (Though the city of Berkeley, Calif., ceased observation of Columbus Day in 1992.)

“Nobody discovered Seattle, Washington,” said Quinault Nation President Fawn Sharp in remarks to the council. “This action will allow us to bring into future and present a day honoring our rich history.”

The change faced some opposition from some members of Seattle’s Italian-American community, who view the day as a celebration of their cultural heritage (Columbus hailed from Genoa, Italy).

The Seattle School Board voted last week to observe Indigenous Peoples’ Day and Columbus Day on the same day in public schools.

[Reuters]
I'm going to start calling America Faggotland.
(10-07-2014 10:35 PM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to start calling America Faggotland.

Good idea, you can join me.
(10-07-2014 11:28 PM)canuckster Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2014 10:35 PM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to start calling America Faggotland.

Good idea, you can join me.

[Image: kenny-powers-american-flag-fuck-you.gif]

[Image: Justin-Bieber-Canadian-Prime-Minister.jpg]

[Image: 1444969-1-1343637650155.jpg]
I'm going to start calling Justin Beiber Dandy McSparkles.
Chief Seattle

[Image: figure-1-chief-seattle1.jpg]
As a person of both indigenous and italian ancestry I need to do the american thing and find a way to play both sides against each other for a profit
I do think it's arrogant to claim that europeans "discovered" a place that was already inhabited by native americans.

that is true arrogance.
(10-08-2014 07:42 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]I do think it's arrogant to claim that europeans "discovered" a place that was already inhabited by native americans.

that is true arrogance.

Very true.
Columbus had nothing to do with North America any ways, he probably died thinking he somewhere close to the Japanese Islands.

Irish, Vikings, possibly templars all before Columbus.
Mediterranean sea goers knew about the New World.
Stone Age Europeans were here before the Asiatics peoples who became the North American Indians by about 10,000 years.

America is f*ggot land , but fuck Columbus.
(10-08-2014 09:14 AM)Hiptosser Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2014 07:42 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]I do think it's arrogant to claim that europeans "discovered" a place that was already inhabited by native americans.

that is true arrogance.

Very true.
Columbus had nothing to do with North America any ways, he probably died thinking he somewhere close to the Japanese Islands.

Stone Age Europeans were here before the Asiatics peoples who became the North American Indians by about 10,000 years.

We agree that no africans reached the new world prior to slavery? Thats my least fave therapeutic afro-centric myth
(10-08-2014 09:35 AM)Uncle Tomahawk Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2014 09:14 AM)Hiptosser Wrote: [ -> ]

that is true arrogance.

Very true.

I forgot the Grand Chinese Fleet reached North America, the Chinese chickens of the mid atlantic , Washington himself unearthed a wrecked Chinese Junk.
I believe pre Colombian Chinese artifacts have been found on the Pacific Coast.

We agree that no africans reached the new world prior to slavery? Thats my least fave therapeutic afro-centric myth

North African sea faring people probably at least knew of N/S America.
There was definitely trade.

I'm not sure if Black African culture has ever advanced to the point where they could make trans Atlantic voyages.
The should rename it Solutrean Day.
I'm going to start calling days wristwatches of light.
Reference URL's