Evil Academy

Full Version: Guess what this the plant is about.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here I will show you photos of a plant that grows across the Northeast US. If you already know the answer, don't say.

My question is, based on just looking at this plant, can you tell what it is doing? What is it about? Why does it look this way? Is it just a normal plant?

[Image: sarrapurp4007.jpg]

[Image: sarrapurp2002.jpg]

[Image: kings-sarracenia.jpg]
EDIT
I am so confused.
It's not marijuana?
the Marivagina plant?
Buttsecks?
Similar to, if not, the pitcher plant. Instead of photo-synthesis to get it's nutrients, it traps insects for it's food. The insects are attracted to the opening of that plant and then drawn in and trapped inside. i believe inside is a fluid that break's down the insects' bodies and the plant digests the good parts????!!!!!

"My question is, based on just looking at this plant, can you tell what it is doing? What is it about? Why does it look this way? Is it just a normal plant?"

Had I not known previously I wouldn't have figured it out by appearance alone. But knowing what I know and seeing that above photos then on the "..Why does it look this way?..." Can I surmise the brown parts of that plant are made to resemble rotting flesh so to draw flies and the such???!!!
BADASS is right.

As you can see, it's a set of cupped leaves coming from a central plant. The leaves are cupped and filled with water.

[Image: sarrapurp1013.jpg]

So why is it doing that? At first, maybe you think that the plants likes to have a supply of water. But there are so many things about this plants that it turns out that what it is doing is attracting and eating insects.

It's like an open stomach. The insects fall in because the sides are slippery and the plant makes digestive enzymes to eat them.
An interesting question is whether this is just a coincidence - that over time it evolved these features because it "works" for the plant, or whether at some extremely primitive level the plant realizes what it is doing.
i wrote pitcher plant first but edited since rako wanted people to guess what it was.

I used to have one before. they can even eat small rodents
Yeah. he said you wouldn't guess without knowing.
venus fly traps are pretty cool too.

[Image: Dionaea_muscipula_G16_Slacks_Giant1.jpg]
good photo.
why are you interested in carnivorous plants? something to do with orthodox christianity?
[Image: IMG_1205-1024x768.jpg]

How about the plants in this photo? Have you ever seen any that big?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's