Evil Academy

Full Version: Making Gay Sense of the X-Men by William Earnest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting to see how the subtext is inserted. Good reference study:

[Image: ekcG3a5.png]
so here they basically are saying they are using STEALTH to insert these themes. I'm ok with gay themed movies, but why use stealth? Why not stand behind your message and beliefs and say them outright? why manipulate?

[Image: M1QcPmH.png]
This is straightforward which is good. Let people know what you believe. Don't hide behind the ninny winny.

[Image: astonishingxmen_51_cover-1024x791.jpg]
I think the hidden message is more for programming the kids boss.
what's funny about x-men was that it's headed by a white guy.. Dr. Charles Xavier.

X-men probably didn't start off having that much of an agenda. It was probably more of an underdog type of series. Now they are using these franchises to push specific agendas. I'm ok with that but be clear about it. Don't engage in "rhetorical stealth"
(07-17-2014 02:42 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]what's funny about x-men was that it's headed by a white guy.. Dr. Charles Xavier.

X-men probably didn't start off having that much of an agenda. It was probably more of an underdog type of series. Now they are using these franchises to push specific agendas. I'm ok with that but be clear about it. Don't engage in "rhetorical stealth"

The original X-Men of the 1960's was a metaphor for teenagers and puberty. A mutant didn't fit in with society, and didn't understand what was happening to his body, just like a pubescent teenager. Marvel were always very good at identifying a niche market demographic, and tailor making characters that would appeal to that demographic. Much more so than DC.
Reference URL's