Evil Academy

Full Version: Gamby's Edict
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any time I tried to show off how smart I was to my grandmother and started using big words, she would say this to me:

In promulgating your esoteric cogitations and articulating your superficial and psychological sentimentalities, beware of platitudinous ponderosity.

Let your extemporaneous descantings and your unpremeditated explications have an intelligibility and vivacious veracity without rudimentary or phrasmical bombast.

Sedulously avoid all polysyllable profundity, facetious vacuity and ventriloqual verbosity, observant or otherwise.

IN OTHER WORDS:
Speak plainly, briefly, sensibly, naturally, say what you mean, mean what you say, and don't use big words!

Print that out and put it up around your house. I sat down with mum last summer and we worked it all out from what we remembered.

Learn to say that well and you will blow people away that are being smartass with you. You can spit this out, you always win.

You're welcome, and thank you Gamby, you smartass!

She was a teacher too, and a damn good one by all accounts I've heard, and I've heard plenty.
Seriously, if you can spit that from memory, you have won the game.
i've seen you post that before. it's a good one.
[Image: SFE-100_1__52638.1334279528.1280.1280.jpg]
I like Winnson's stories about the grandparents.
They were pretty damn cool.
A piece of wisdom mum would say when I started to get too Rube Goldberg about things:

When NASA realized that pens wouldn't work in space with no gravity, they started a program to produce one that would.

It took millions of dollars and years of research, but they finally made a functional zero gravity pen.

The Russians used a pencil.
Whenever I started going too far into my flights of fancy, mum would scream

'A pencil boy, a pencil!'

She never let me finish my glorious projects.
(06-19-2014 06:30 AM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]A piece of wisdom mum would say when I started to get too Rube Goldberg about things:

When NASA realized that pens wouldn't work in space with no gravity, they started a program to produce one that would.

It took millions of dollars and years of research, but they finally made a functional zero gravity pen.

The Russians used a pencil.

hehe. that's a good one.

westerners are all about novelty and doing something "NEW" just for the sake of it.
There's something to be said for down and dirty simple effectiveness.

It doesn't break down as much.
[Image: 9d9f26034e74d3903e1adce3c1114c17a8fe9e4e...4d4723.jpg]
Reference URL's