Evil Academy

Full Version: Surveilance State Debate: Greenwald vs former NSA/CIA Chief Hayden & Dershowitz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Munk Debates: State Surveillance - May 2, 2014

Debaters

Pro
Michael Hayden - “It is the security practitioners, those rarely in the headlines but whose craft and energy quietly break new ground, who keep us safe or put us in peril.”

Alan Dershowitz - “The state now is moving much more from reacting to violence to a proactive, preemptive, preventive mode of intelligence gathering.”

Con
Glenn Greenwald - “Surveillance equals power. The more you know about someone, the more you can control & manipulate them in all sorts of ways. That is one reason a Surveillance State is so menacing to basic political liberties.”

Alexis Ohanian - “Every other country in the world looked at us as a role model for privacy and freedom. And we dropped the ball.”

Be it resolved state surveillance is a legitimate defense of our freedoms

It is the debate of the moment. In a risk-filled world, are democracies justified in turning to large-scale state surveillance, at home and abroad, to fight complex and unconventional threats? Or is the emergence of the surveillance state and the awesome powers it derives from information technology a new and pervasive threat to our basic freedoms? For some the answer is obvious: the threats more than justify the current surveillance system, and the laws and institutions of democracies are more than capable of balancing the needs of individual privacy with collective security. For others, we are in peril of sacrificing to state surveillance and exaggerated terrorist threats the civil liberties that guarantee citizens’ basic freedoms. To engage this global debate our spring 2014 contest moves the motion:

Be it resolved state surveillance is a legitimate defense of our freedoms...

https://www.munkdebates.com/debates/state-surveillance
Thanks for posting, I'll check this out in the morning if I don't immediately pass out after this 8 hour turnaround.

I shortened the title of the thread, the quick reply function was disabled because the thread title was too long.
Reference URL's