Evil Academy

Full Version: Jesus on Rich People and Going to Heaven
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'

-Matthew 19:23
lol. This does not sound right at all.

i mean what kind of logic is this?
"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

-Jesus

---------------

Being rich =/= immoral.
(12-22-2013 03:35 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

-Jesus

---------------

Being rich =/= immoral.

And you wonder why us Jews got the Romans to kill him??
The fact that the Catholics don't really follow the bible exclusively is why I respect them.

You can support any position if you just follow one book.
The act of hoarding material wealth in any and all of its forms is an expression of a lack of faith.
well some people can acquire wealth and use it for good purposes.

the question is the degree.
It means you need to get busy giving it away, to much love for your own self is a sin against the whole. The logic is if everyone is willing to do for one another, then no one will starve. It's a utopian logic, but it makes sense in the context presented (bible verse).
It's weird how you like the church, and not Christ's message.

I think you might be missing the point. He never wanted a cult of personality... He wanted people to be free. The Roman Catholic Church is a monument of his failure, not his success.
the problem with the bible is that it's not very coherent.

lots of different messages that can be used for any situation.
(12-22-2013 04:00 PM)Penxv Wrote: [ -> ]It's weird how you like the church, and not Christ's message.

I think you might be missing the point. He never wanted a cult of personality... He wanted people to be free. The Roman Catholic Church is a monument of his failure, not his success.

I like the anti-material message up to a point.. but at the same time the material cannot be totally rejected.
The underlying message of faith, charity, good will and love for others in ancient religious texts holds true in this day and age, however the specifics within these texts do not necessarily hold true in this day and age.
I respect the vows of property the jesuits take.. and I think that is noble. but I think it's unfair to say it's hard for a person with wealth to get to heaven.

what is a wealthy person supposed to do? Give up all his wealth and give it to the poor?

do I think they should give back? Yes.

What if the Rich man gave 50% of his wealth to the poor? but he kept 50% of it for his progeny?

would he still have a hard time getting into heaven?

the way its worded is very strange.
(12-22-2013 03:59 PM)Bankable Wrote: [ -> ]It means you need to get busy giving it away, to much love for your own self is a sin against the whole. The logic is if everyone is willing to do for one another, then no one will starve. It's a utopian logic, but it makes sense in the context presented (bible verse).

yeah but what if you give away 40% of your wealth but you're still rich?

are you supposed to give ALL OF IT AWAY to some shady charity?
(12-22-2013 04:01 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]the problem with the bible is that it's not very coherent.

lots of different messages that can be used for any situation.

The new testament is coherent. there is a clear perspective given in the new testament where the moral high ground is never relinquished save for the Money changers in the Temple. There are many messages but I can't think of any that don't follow the same trend of love, forgiveness, faith, and salvation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's