Evil Academy

Full Version: Young Turks on the Iceland Model
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Iceland's revolution was remarkable, a bloodless revolution of sorts. However one thing I notice that is almost always absent from discussions on Iceland's economic and political rebirth is the significance of their homogeneity. Iceland's inhabitants are about 94% Icelandic ethnically. They are about 90% Christian and 85% identify as Lutheran. They have mostly uniform values, customs and beliefs. I'm sure Cenk and his colleagues find this to be an inconvenient truth.
90% Christian?

Wow, if I didn't already want to move there after they kicked some banker ass, I'm sold now.Wink
the name Young Turks is extremely offensive. they were responsible for the armenian genocide.

how do they get away with this?
Icelanders are about as Christian as Karl Marx. Only Americans and third worlders believe in that
Yeah, I thought the Scandinavian countries weren't big God followers.
(12-22-2013 10:34 PM)Bobby Lupo Wrote: [ -> ]Icelanders are about as Christian as Karl Marx. Only Americans and third worlders believe in that

The point isn't so much if they all go to church every Sunday and take the Bible (or some other book) literally. I'm not saying that a shared belief in Jesus Christ is what allowed them to take their nation back. However the fact that they overwhelmingly identify with the same church is an indicator of their cohesiveness as a society, among other things.
(12-22-2013 10:34 PM)Bobby Lupo Wrote: [ -> ]Icelanders are about as Christian as Karl Marx. Only Americans and third worlders believe in that

hey bobby you are catholic?
(12-22-2013 10:36 PM)Winnson Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I thought the Scandinavian countries weren't big God followers.

Agreed on the point of the homogenous population. Nearly everyone claims to be able to trace their lineage to the Viking settlers. Pharma saw a goldmine in a near pristine gene pool.
Trollhunter was a fun movie.
(12-22-2013 11:28 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]

I was raised Catholic. I was educated by Christian Brothers and ex-Seminararians and their frankness when teaching theology cures one of primitive belief like a grandmother would have. That was their intention. I try to live by the ideals. To me it doesn't matter if the Buddha or Christ ever walked the Earth, I try to live by the ideals. I'm at the largest soup kitchen in NYC 2x a week preparing 1,400 hot lunches with a small crew.
(12-22-2013 11:55 PM)Bobby Lupo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2013 11:28 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]

I was raised Catholic. I was educated by Christian Brothers and ex-Seminararians and their frankness when teaching theology cures one of primitive belief like a grandmother would have. That was their intention. I try to live by the ideals. To me it doesn't matter if the Buddha or Christ ever walked the Earth, I try to live by the ideals. I'm at the largest soup kitchen in NYC 2x a week preparing 1,400 hot lunches with a small crew.

yeah. belief is not the most important thing.. it's more of the lifestyle/ideals and moral structure.

good stuff with the charity work.
Very freaking cool Loops.

Capitalism and free enterprise could work, but we'll never find out. Rock on Iceland.
Reference URL's