Evil Academy

Full Version: thoughts on tipping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1)do you believe in tipping?
2) would you perfer a service?
3) how much fo you tip? a flat amount, or percentage?
4) if you tip how does it make you feel?
5) how do you tip a bad server?
6) does appereance matter or is quality of service king?
7) do you tip more when your in a good mood?
8) do you tip better or worse when in a group?

just thoughts
I am from the UK, and find it strange that someone can be employed in a job that doesn't give a proper wage. In my opinion the server should be paid by their employer. If they give bad service you complain to the employer and they stand the risk of losing their job. If you pay them a fair wage then there can be no complaints.

Some people argue that their food would then cost them more, which is ridiculous in my opinion. The maximum it would go up is the 20% that people seem to be tipping now.

The crazy thing is that from what I've read a lot of servers don't want the system to change because they are making a killing from what is essentially unskilled job. But love to bitch about the odd time that they get 'stiffed' out of a tip.
I tip. Do I "believe in it"? Its a cultural thing I grew up with, I will tip depending on service (10% for average service 20% for exceptional), nothing if the service is so poor. I would comment as to why no tip (getting thrown out when younger), though I have never not tipped. I tip well to install good service and reward it, I am usually entertaining for business so it is somewhat important to be unimpeded with talking business. Tipping can be like a smile, its contagious to be as generous as you can afford.

A good set of tits and excellent service, gets a smile out of me, a generous tip and we all feel like sunshine out of our asses, it brightens the day. When I return the waitress with the fine titties is waiting when I arrive, she has my brand of beer in her hand and a smile on her face, ready to provide the friendliest efficient service. She knows and remembers the tippers, she won't even look at you let alone smile if you didn't tip her last time
I've never served in my life, but I can appreciate that it can be a challenging job at times. When people go out to eat they expect a certain level attentiveness and someone greeting them with a warm personality. Because of that, you have to be on your game and have to have the right personality to deal with all the different types of people that you'll encounter on a daily basis. I typically tip 15-20 percent when I go out to eat and I think that's a fair amount. It's not a job that I'd want to do personally.

I will say that I'm a little funny about tipping cab drivers though. I've done it, but it's rare for me to do so.
I don't "believe in it" but I tip anyway. I usually pay 20% unless the server is rude or screws up really badly in which case I pay nothing. Anything between 0% and 20% is overthinking the tip IMO.
2 or 3 bucks is all I tip.. I dont have huge feast with a lot of people at my table.. Usually Im by myself or with a girlfriend.. 2 or 3 bucks for a 50 dollar meal at the most is more then enough IMO.. Good service.. Bad service.. Dont care.. I treat everyone the same...
depends how broke you are, lol
Having worked in resteraunts, I tend to tip Nicely. Generally 15% but pretty girls may get more, depending also on my mood and cash flow.
i thought we would have many diverse opinions. my family will tip 25% if good service bad service is a dollar. my dad come holiday season will just hand the server or who ever money and say treat your family on me. my dad is very generous

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
those who dont like to tip would you perfer an 18% service fee like some european countries do.
(12-05-2013 11:43 AM)PUBLICnoose Wrote: [ -> ]those who dont like to tip would you perfer an 18% service fee like some european countries do.

It's 10% where I am. I'm OK with that.
(12-05-2013 11:43 AM)PUBLICnoose Wrote: [ -> ]those who dont like to tip would you perfer an 18% service fee like some european countries do.

This would be fairer. It shouldn't even show up on your bill as a separate charge in my opinion. I don't understand, how did the tipping culture ever come about in America?

I'd rather it be optional and tip 15% more often than not.
(12-05-2013 04:41 PM)GMB13 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd rather it be optional and tip 15% more often than not.

Why shouldn't a server just be paid a fair wage and be done with it? If they suck at their job the employer should be firing them.
tipping is a colonialist enterprise.

it is meant for the waiters to treat some better and not others.

if you tip standard you get standard treatment next time. if you tip more, they treat you like a king next time.

it's a crappy system.

even then service in the US sucks.. a lot of waiters think they are hot shit.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's