Evil Academy

Full Version: OG-like Forum Software I've Been Working On With Friends (alpha quality)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Former OGers may find this interesting.

https://mma.powerbulletin.com/

It is a forum system I've been working on with my friends since the beginning of the year. Although it's not finished, it's far enough along where I think I can show people and let them play around with it.

Right now, I have filled this subdomain with scraped data from http://mma.tv/ to make it look familiar, but eventually anyone will be able to create and configure their own OG-like forum for free.

Features
  • Two panel layout implemented without frames. (This lets you bookmark threads while having nice thread navigation.)
  • Realtime updates of threads. (When someone posts to a thread, you don't have to refresh. The page should automatically update.)
  • Private messages between users (...although this feature needs a lot more work. Undecided )
  • SSL encryption by default.

Upcoming Features (not implemented yet)
  • Realtime Presence (so you can know who is currently logged in).
  • Moderation Log (so that you know exactly who deleted your post).
  • ...is there anything else you'd like to see.

Again, this is alpha quality software, but I would appreciate it if the members of EvilYoshida.com (and especially the former and current OGers) take a look at it.

Thanks.
Cool, are you going to leave it that you can read the thread content on the main page, or are you only going to show thread titles?
(10-17-2013 07:45 PM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, are you going to leave it that you can read the thread content on the main page, or are you only going to show thread titles?

If you're talking about the current homepage, I think it's going to get totally redone. However, we're not quite sure what to do with it to be honest. There have been thoughts of making it look like a pinterest-styled dynamic grid.... but we're not sure.
that looks pretty cool man.

It seems to work faster than the OG.

you programmed this from scratch?
is there any way to make it look like v-bulletin just with the frames?
WOW!

is powerbulletin your company?
(10-17-2013 07:53 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]that looks pretty cool man.

It seems to work faster than the OG.

you programmed this from scratch?

Yeah, it's programmed from scratch. That's part of why it took so god damned long. Undecided
very impressive.

i am wondering if we can switch from this format and your format interchangeably. sort of like old OG/new OG
(10-17-2013 07:56 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]is there any way to make it look like v-bulletin just with the frames?

Technically, site owners may apply their own CSS to tweak the appearance of the site. Whether that's enough to make it look like vbulletin, I don't know.

What aspect of the vbulletin look and feel do you want?

We can try to accomodate reasonable requests.

(10-17-2013 07:58 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]WOW!

is powerbulletin your company?

It's my friend's company.
mostly the quick reply and the standardized type of spacing between posts.

I think what you have has great potential.

The frames is the OG's secret sauce. I think that's a big part of the reason why people pay to post there.
cool. will check it out!
Post spacing - that can be tweaked and improved for sure.

----

The quick reply thing might not be obvious, but it's actually there.
For example, go to:
https://mma.powerbulletin.com/othergroun...yoshidacom

...and scroll to the bottom.

When you click on the link that says "Reply", a drawer will pop up from the bottom, but you have to be logged in to post. If you're not logged in, it'll ask you to log in or register.

----

I agree on the frames part with one caveat.
We kept the 2 pane look and feel of the frame view without actually using frames. That's why when you switch between threads, the browser's URL changes, and you can actually bookmark threads this way.
also i'm checking out the scrolling. it seems to be a bit slow. can that be adjusted?

i like scrolling quick up and down
(10-17-2013 08:17 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]also i'm checking out the scrolling. it seems to be a bit slow. can that be adjusted?

i like scrolling quick up and down

Are you talking about the scrolling speed of the left nav bar? If so, there's some code there that slows the scrolling down on the left side. We can remove it or make it optional.

Sorry about that. (That was not my idea. ;-)
no just giving honest suggestions.

yeah it seems something that could be fixed or adjusted easily.

also on the right hand side..

I think the posts should be more compressed. seems like there is too much gap between each post.

all in all I think this is a great beta/concept.

It's a modern OG!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's