Evil Academy

Full Version: Where were you when you first heard of UFC 1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Where were you when you first heard of UFC 1?

I was around 15, I was always fascinated by martial arts and always wanted to know which was the best. We have a magazine here called Blitz which is a MA mag. Anyways I was off to work experience as an architect (Dont do it all they do is work out what room sizes and adequacy) So my mum gave me $5 for lunch and my train ticket. I was waiting for the train and saw the UFC feature in blitz so I used my train and lunch money to buy it and thought “YES! Finally here we go”

Had to wait 3 months (no one I knew had the internet back then) for the next issue to come out only to read that some Brazilian guy in a karate suit won it. I was hooked.

Lets hear your story around the story of what was to become a huge cultural change in combat sports.
By UFC I mean the original version, where they ducked around 8 Japanese fighters who could have cleaned the floor with Royce.
Probably Black Belt or Inside Kung Fu magazines, which I subscribed to at the time. Saw the ads for the PPV, but I was a broke student at the time, so I had to wait til someone got a hold of it on tape.
cousin told me about it in the 90s. I remember him saying that one of the fighters had his teeth kicked out his mouth, I thought it was all bullshit fake wrassling until I rented it at the video store. Then I was hooked.
Never heard about UFC until the summer of '95. Had just moved into a new apartment in North Vancouver and was checking out the local video rental place when my friend walked up to me with copies of UFC's 2 and 4 in his hand and said something like "you ever heard of this ultimate fighting shit" and the rest is history. First lppv's I ever ordered were UFC 7 and EF 1.
Haha we finally agree on something, my next big wake up call was mikey burnett punching eugeneo tardeos head in. I thought whoa white dudes can fight
!
But I never did see UFC 1 on tape until around '97-98 when it was finally released on VHS. My friend Sean had seen it in a bar and had fabricated some gruesome BS about why it was never released on VHS.

lol.
I was 9 and it was glorious. Did boxing at the time and went back to Judo after. No zhoo zitsu in northern Sweden at the time.
What really sucked is that I waited almost 10 years for a bjj class to open here that I could afford later finding out my neighbours trained judo. Still I never bothered training with them because I thought ground fighting meant bjj. Dumb!
(08-06-2013 05:57 PM)DONGED BY JOHNSON Wrote: [ -> ]Haha we finally agree on something, my next big wake up call was mikey burnett punching eugeneo tardeos head in. I thought whoa white dudes can fight
!

THAT was a good event. Peak years for UFC were '98-early '99. The early John Perretti years after EF folded and before PRIDE raided the roster. 16, 17, Brazil, 18. We had a total ban on live ppv's in Canada from '96-'98 so I actually ordered Dish Network at my Grandpa's cabin in Birch Bay Washington just across the border from White Rock BC just to watch UFC with my friends.

Such was my addiction back then.
well few schools outside Japan teach ne-waza.
the peak years of the UFC were the tournament years, from UFC1 to UU96. I really hated and despised Perretti, the way he'd just shit on fighters because he was so jealous he couldn't be one himself. He didn't want Liddell in the UFC because mohawks were played out and all the crap talked about Severn.
A fair few teach newaza here
(08-06-2013 06:11 PM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]the peak years of the UFC were the tournament years, from UFC1 to UU96. I really hated and despised Perretti, the way he'd just shit on fighters because he was so jealous he couldn't be one himself. He didn't want Liddell in the UFC because mohawks were played out and all the crap talked about Severn.

He signed Liddell though. Yes he was a weird fucker, but those shows from '98 were epic. EF was also great.
I saw the commercials for UFC1 and wanted to watch it.

I was taking a free karate class in college at the time and thought it looked interesting.

But we were getting our cable illegally and couldn't order it...I think it was only 15 bucks if I remember right.

But I caught UFC 2 on my Dad's cheater box during Christmas break or something.

It looked like that Royce guy knew what he was doing so I figured I better start learning how to do that instead of continuing with karate...which I probably would have eventually quit anyway.

I also liked Orlando Weit, even though he lost. Whatever he was doing looked pretty bad ass.

So I started trying to learn what he was doing as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's