Evil Academy

Full Version: Asians Rule Youtube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
it's interesting.

of the top 10 most subscribed channels.. at least a few are asian.

Quote:As of this writing, Ryan Higa’s videos have amassed 1.2 billion hits, with over five million channel subscribers. Kevin Wu (kevjumba) has nearly 300 million hits, with over two million subscribers. The makeup artist Michelle Phan counts nearly 600 million views and two million subscribers. Others of note: Tim Chantarangsu (Timothy DeLaGhetto), 400 million views and over a million subscribers; Peter Chao, 160 million views, 700,000 subscribers; Christine Gambito, over 600,000 subscribers and nearly 90 million hits; Freddie Wong, over 3 million subscribers, 660 million views; Wong Fu Productions, nearly 200 million views and over a million subscribers.

Young Asian Americans dominate a great swath of the messy territory called YouTube, holding their own against the well-funded and famous.

Taken together, these numbers make two major points: there is a great pool of Asian Americans who, against the grain of “model minority” professionalism, need an outlet for humor and creative expression. Perhaps more importantly, these numbers prove the existence of a huge audience, largely Asian American, who want to see the experiences and talents of Asian people in popular media.
it's amazing.

such a huge market.. yet the MSM will refuse to make shows that would clearly make money.

when you have 30-40% dominance in the top 10 for youtube.. this is a market that the MSM should capitalize on.
What do their channels do, as in what is the content about?
some comedy stuff.

usually asian american guys speaking about their life and issues.

Not a big fan of this stuff.. but it's just interesting how when something is relatively meritocratic.. asians will find a way to dominate.

the top vid in youtube history is asian.. PSY's Gangnam Style.
those motherfuckers are rich.
KevJumba I kinda like.

i wonder who is watching.. it cannot be all asian americans.
it's clearly not just about money. the MSM promotes what they want to promote. if they cared about making money all these guys would have dedicated shows on regular TV.
this is the type of stuff they make. Like homemade movies.

this production is quite professional though.

I've noticed some Asian pop videos have amazing view counts...like 6 to 10 million. But you're talking about Asian-Americans with amazing stats, so while I initially would have theorized they just place greater promotion/marketing emphasis on YouTube...I suppose East Asians all over the world are just YouTube-crazy.
yeah but I doubt asian asians are really looking at these asian american comedy videos.

it's just no their style at all.
(08-04-2013 07:32 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]it's clearly not just about money. the MSM promotes what they want to promote. if they cared about making money all these guys would have dedicated shows on regular TV.

For this, I'd think that it is mostly about money. The suits tend to be behind the times in their little bubble, and stuck to their ways. If one of these Youtube Asians gets a show and it draws ratings I bet it would open the floodgates, but with no precedent for success, TV executives fighting to keep their jobs in a "what have you done lately", dying industry aren't gonna take a risk that would be called moronic if it failed. They can always subvert the shows after they gain an audience and hook the talents on the drugs of fame and big money.
look in the comment section. mostly white girls i see.
So do these guys make money on this? Let's say I have 1million followers. How much would I make? I mean is it spending money or quit my job type money?
What did asian kids do before the internet came about? Growing up you never saw them down at the park with the rest of us playing rugby and fucking around. I know they spent most of their time in tutoring but surely not on weekends?

I feel bad for them because most of their parents ran small business and probably didnt realise that their kids would not be able to make it in the corporate world of wolves and nut cases.
(08-04-2013 08:55 AM)sycotik Wrote: [ -> ]So do these guys make money on this? Let's say I have 1million followers. How much would I make? I mean is it spending money or quit my job type money?

they make lots of money... from what I have heard.

however youtube does not pay out that much compared to the standard TV model.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's