Evil Academy

Full Version: The Dean's Meditation Program Validated by Studies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks to Destructo:

Quote:Participating in an 8-week mindfulness meditation program appears to make measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy and stress.

For the current study, MR images were take of the brain structure of 16 study participants two weeks before and after they took part in the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program at the University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness. In addition to weekly meetings that included practice of mindfulness meditation – which focuses on nonjudgmental awareness of sensations, feelings and state of mind – participants received audio recordings for guided meditation practice and were asked to keep track of how much time they practiced each day. A set of MR brain images were also taken of a control group of non-meditators over a similar time interval.

The analysis of MR images, which focused on areas where meditation-associated differences were seen in earlier studies, found increased grey-matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory, and in structures associated with self-awareness, compassion and introspection. Participant-reported reductions in stress also were correlated with decreased grey-matter density in the amygdala, which is known to play an important role in anxiety and stress.

http://www.massgeneral.org/about/pressre...px?id=1329

edit: Here a link to a beginners book on mindfulness meditation. It's called "Mindfulness in plain English". Pretty good imo.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
Thanks EY.

Mindfulness in Plain English is a great book...meditation and the search of inner harmony my favorite subject.

In the end, isn't that what everyone truly wants?

The great thing about meditation is that it offers a path to happiness that anybody can be successful at.

You don't have to be a particularly good looking person, a lady killer, and great athlete, or have a genius IQ.

All you have to have is a desire for happiness, compassion, and self-understanding.
Yah. No doubt it works. I think this stuff can be helpful for reality enthusiasts... Reality can be stressful at times
I will say getting a massage relieves stress as well, but meditation will sharpen ur mind more
Speaking of 'Mindfulness in Plain English', here is a picture of the author Bhante Henepola Gunaratana(Top Right).

He is sitting next my friend and first formal meditation teacher Ajahn Chuen Phangcham(Top Left).

[Image: response04b.jpg]

When I first started looking for a teacher, I visited popular Detroit Zen Center a couple times.

But after meeting Dr. Phangcham, I knew that's where I wanted to be and who I wanted to be around.

RIP
(07-30-2013 02:10 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]I will say getting a massage relieves stress as well, but meditation will sharpen ur mind more

Yes, it's much different.

I've had massages but the relief is only temporary.

With meditation, your life can be changed forever.

Especially if you are consumed by negative thoughts, depression, and/or cynicism.
What good is learning anything, including conspiracy, if it turns you into an angry, cynical person?

Eventually...you often become no better than the things you despise.

So if you want the 'world' to be a better place...the first and most important thing to do is start with yourself.

The 'world', in a way, can never be any better than the sum of it's contents.

So by improving yourself, by becoming more loving and compassionate, you improve the very contents of the world.

And your own 'life' as well.
Agreed. Although I don't always think "hating evil" leads to one being evil.. but it could certainly.
True, but 'hating evil' can often lead to self destructive behavior.

Especially if you feel that that those 'evil things/people' are greater or more powerful than yourself.

Even if they were...that cannot stop anybody from finding themselves and experiencing 'beauty'.

So it's important to 'tread wisely' whilst 'fighting or opposing evil'.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ..."

- Corinthians 13:1-13
Dean, can you bump your thread where you outline your techniques? Thanks brother!
(07-30-2013 04:40 AM)Coffee Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Dean, can you bump your thread where you outline your techniques? Thanks brother!

The only firm conviction anyone truly has is that one exists.

Call is 'conscious presence' or some other name if you like.

Meditate only on that sense of presence, nothing else.

Do not even think "I am meditating" as meditation is presence without words.

No words are needed.

Prior to any words or verbalization, there is the knowledge that 'I Am' or 'I exist'.

The 'I Am' or 'I exist' is just the sense of presence that is always Here...in every moment.

Just sit or be with this sense of presence, without any identification to the 'body' or 'mind'.

This 'sense of presence' will tell you everything you need to know about ones-Self.

Don't even try to 'figure everything out'. Just rest in this sense of presence and let whatever comes to you come to you on it's own.

If nothing comes to you, that is fine as well.

What does it feel like? To Be this momentary sense of presence rather than the 'body' and/or 'mind(thought)?

To Be this sense of presence and nothing else?

Don't answer with the mind.

Just notice.

Thanks bro. Can this be done outdoors? Or do you recommend dark and quiet?
(07-30-2013 06:57 AM)Coffee Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks bro. Can this be done outdoors? Or do you recommend dark and quiet?

Dark and quiet can be okay but during the day or with the lights on is fine as well.

It doesn't matter really.

Also, outdoors is fine. In fact I recommend taking this practice into your daily life.

There are two types of people I witness on a daily basis.

1. Those who are afraid of being alone with their own thoughts.

2. Those are consumed by them.

What we're looking for is learning to connect to stillness and slowly bringing that stillness to the movement of life itself.

Living life without attachment to all the distraction(iPod, car radio, etc.) or the internal dialogue(commentary, self-judgement, judgement of others).

Learning to be present with life, rather than at odds with it.

There will to be a large amount of acceptance and surrender to 'what is' rather than 'how I wish things were' in order for this practice to be brought to everyday life.

This is the one thing many people experienced in meditation never learn to do...everyday life.

They can sit for an hour or two every day for many years.

But when they get out into everyday life, that stillness and openness immediately becomes lost.

When you get up from the meditation...practice 'not losing it' when you go out into the everyday world.

This way, meditation isn't just 10 minutes a day.

Everyday, every moment, becomes a meditation and you eventually find that there is almost nothing you can't bear.
the dean do you think it's possible to meditate without any hindu or buddhist orientation?

i noticed most people who do this use some buddhist/hindu hand stances or mindset.

I am interested in a pure physical form of meditation or do you think such practice can never be divorced from the sacred.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's