Evil Academy

Full Version: Ex-US general: We pay a price for backing Israel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/ex-us-gener...ng-israel/

Ex-US general: We pay a price for backing Israel

By LAZAR BERMAN July 25, 2013, 10:11 pm

Retired US Marine Corps General James Mattis recently said that America pays a price for its perceived bias in support of Israel.

“I paid a military security price every day as the commander of CentCom because the Americans were seen as biased in support of Israel, and that moderates all the moderate Arabs who want to be with us, because they can’t come out publicly in support of people who don’t show respect for the Arab Palestinians,” he said Saturday at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado in response to a question about the peace process

Mattis took over Central Command, whose area of responsibility includes the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia, from David Petraeus in 2010.

He called the current situation in Israel “unsustainable” and blamed the settlements for harming prospects for peace. The chances for an accord between Israel and the Palestinians, said Mattis, “are starting to ebb because the settlements and where they’re at are going to make it impossible to maintain the two state solution.”

Mattis then described a hypothetical in which 500 Jewish settlers live among 10,000 Arabs, and the implications of where Israel draws the border. He called it a choice between giving up the idea of a Jewish state or becoming an apartheid state.

He then returned to the idea of the cost of lack of progress in peace talks, arguing that it “shortstops a lot of support for us because all politics are local… And I would just tell you that they can’t come out in support of us if we don’t see some progress where Secretary [of State John] Kerry is wisely focused like a laser beam right now.”

Mattis was effusive throughout the conversation in his praise for Kerry and his current effort to kick-start the long-dormant peace process.

Mattis also touched on Syria, Egypt, Iraq, and his decades of service in the Marine Corps. He estimated that Iran is about a year off from a nuclear weapon and expressed pessimism regarding the potential efficacy of a military strike, but said he was certain Israel would not hesitate to attack if it felt Iran had crossed its red lines.

Mattis’s predecessor reportedly expressed similar sentiments in 2010. Petraeus reportedly dispatched a team of senior officers under his command to brief Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The 45-minute powerpoint presentation shown to Mullen argued that Israeli intransigence was harming US interests in the region and harming American credibility among Arab leaders.

In a prepared statement to the Senate Armed Services Committee in March 2010, Petraeus said that the “conflict foments anti-American sentiment, due to a perception of US favoritism for Israel. Arab anger over the Palestinian question limits the strength and depth of US partnerships with governments and peoples in the AOR [area of responsibility] and weakens the legitimacy of moderate regimes in the Arab world. Meanwhile, al-Qaeda and other militant groups exploit that anger to mobilize support. The conflict also gives Iran influence in the Arab world through its clients, Lebanese Hezbollah and Hamas.”

Petraeus walked the statements back soon after.
I see more and more people willing to make this type of statement, out in the open, not trying to hide their identities. I even saw some of the occupy movement people holding rallies in various cities with a "denounce Israel" theme. I see more people and more groups openly calling for the support of the Boycott, Divest and Sanction movement, along with other such movements.

Imagine if Bibi would just concede the things the world is asking him to. Would that mean the possibility of a lasting peace, or at least the possibility of drastically reduced tensions throughout the region? Could that actually happen? Would that actually be allowed to happen? Would the players involved be able to maintain that peace, even though everything in many of their devious minds tells them it is bad for business, power and leverage? Could they resist sabotaging that lull in tensions for their own personal gain, and the gain of their co conspirators?
Great post.

No to most of your questions, I'd say.
So is it all in vain, are we wasting our time speculating, wasting our time trying to get on board with pressuring Israel and the US to do the right thing? And even if we are wasting our time, should we continue to push for what is right, even in the face of eventual failure, just because making this stand is the right thing to do?

Dude I honestly don't know what is the correct thing to do in so many situations that I often get terribly discouraged and want to abandon all this to pursue something less stressful like learning to become proficient in various arts, or something like that.

Man I need some sleep, I'm a bit out of it right now. HuhHuhHuh
(07-27-2013 06:23 PM)johan Wrote: [ -> ]So is it all in vain, are we wasting our time speculating, wasting our time trying to get on board with pressuring Israel and the US to do the right thing? And even if we are wasting our time, should we continue to push for what is right, even in the face of eventual failure, just because making this stand is the right thing to do?

Dude I honestly don't know what is the correct thing to do in so many situations that I often get terribly discouraged and want to abandon all this to pursue something less stressful like learning to become proficient in various arts, or something like that.

Not abandon, but I think BN and his ilk aren't going to abandon their course voluntarily.

It will come to an end eventually, like horrible empires always do.
(07-27-2013 06:23 PM)johan Wrote: [ -> ]So is it all in vain, are we wasting our time speculating, wasting our time trying to get on board with pressuring Israel and the US to do the right thing? And even if we are wasting our time, should we continue to push for what is right, even in the face of eventual failure, just because making this stand is the right thing to do?

If you're "out of it tonight" my friend, I want to see you 'into it' tomorrow!

How long have you been into this stuff?
(07-27-2013 09:17 PM)GMB13 Wrote: [ -> ]

How long have you been into this stuff?

My grandfather turned me on to this type of stuff when i was a kid. he was a military intelligence guy in wwII. i went to a preparatory school when i was a kid because i could read very early on and had to start skipping grades. eventually i got into reading about world leaders like stalin, hitler, Mussolini, and other powerful dictator types thruoghout history from ancient rome and greece and eqypt and what have you. they made us write books, like actually write one and then manufacture the book and get it published. my book was about time travel, but by then i had started to lose interest in being a nerd and more interrested in punk rock, skateboarding, an girls. the progressive school i was in had us invent things, i actually won a youth invention contest at MIT. they then taught us computer programming at like age 9, music and art composition, etc.

then the head of the progressive school got caught performing lewd acts in a rest stop bathroom, and my family pulled me out of that. i soon got into other things like revolutionary politics and current geo politics, becoming enamored with the militia movement and similar stuff. i would check out guys like william pierce, guys on the other side of the spectrum like farrakhan and william cooper, just any subversive shit i could get my hands on just to see if there was anything there that holds water. soon i got into training bjj and found out about mma.tv, and started conspiracy trolling there as soon as i saw a couple other dudes doing it. i had found my new home.

idk, nothing special or particularly interesting, but once i started learning about certain things, there was no turning back.

how did you get interested in this stuff? you sometimes remind me of a poster i used to chat with a lot who was heavily into what i guess would be considered politically incorrect topics early on in the submissionfighting.com days, he would turn me on to some great research and and some naughty political music.
I always knew things were fucked up, I just didn't really learn the who/why/how until I started reading EY's post on the OG about 2 years ago. I was a dupe's dupe before that in many ways haha. I started watching podcasts and reading transcripts from guys like Alan Watt, and I started checking into their sources. As you said, once I learned certain things, there was no turning back.
Reference URL's