Evil Academy

Full Version: How good was Kazushi Sakuraba actually? Career recap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Very good. Probably the best ever P4P.

with UFC weight cutting he could probably be a 145 or 155 lber
Combat Sport is not just about winning, it's about Entertainment. He smartly made his wrestling style EXCITING and he had SuperStar Quality Character.....DEFINITELY an ALL TIME GREAT!
Heroism is greater than just winning a series of fights in a controlled environment. Coming back to fight Igor to a draw after a 90min match against Royce was far more impressive than if he just stayed within his weight class and beat 160ers for years imo.
not a very well made video!
(09-11-2020 02:19 AM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]Heroism is greater than just winning a series of fights in a controlled environment. Coming back to fight Igor to a draw after a 90min match against Royce was far more impressive than if he just stayed within his weight class and beat 160ers for years imo.

totally true.

I was very worried for him when he had to face Igor.
I guess Igor was tired that day or he should have given Sakuraba a major beating.
Still for sak to come out and basically draw or survive with igor is amazing.

Sak's prime was very short, but I think prime for prime he was probably the best the sport has ever seen.

He didn't really work out really and didn't max out his physical potential.
This was released about a week ago, already has 1.5 mil views.

Sakurabas style was more like a bag of tricks than a coherent system.

It worked well in a time that (Carlson style) BJJ was the dominant style, but BJJ guys were unprepared for his skillset and found him unpredictable.

In most of my time doing BJJ I was far more like Sak than a conventional BJJ guy, but it only took me so far. Eventually the element of surprise wears off and putting yourself in disadvantageous positions to pull off your sweet special move becomes a crutch. The fighters that stick around the longest tend to follow more conventional approaches -- 'A Tier' or 'S Tier' strategies in MMO parlance. Someone using Sak's strategy today would be D Tier IMO.
yeah but it was interesting to watch him adapt. Like Allan Goes beat the shit out of him from the butt scoot (fight ended in a draw), then in the next fight a few months later he figured that out by circling around and kicking the legs when the opponent was rotating.
He was one of the first complete fighters
he had strong kicks. his punches were kinda weak, but he did manage to drop wanderlei in their first fight

impeccable timing, amazing single leg takedowns, amazing creativity

prob the best p4p fighter overall in history
(12-22-2020 04:43 AM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]yeah but it was interesting to watch him adapt. Like Allan Goes beat the shit out of him from the butt scoot (fight ended in a draw), then in the next fight a few months later he figured that out by circling around and kicking the legs when the opponent was rotating.

Very true. He thought on his feet. Pride rules made mid fight adaptation more necessary. UFC is more about winning rounds... by making a gesture of aggression in the last 30 seconds of each round.
(12-22-2020 07:14 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]prob the best p4p fighter overall in history

Saku is part of the pantheon, but Fedor is the Sky Father. His reign was the most impressive and lasted through MMA's Golden Age.
I would say Fedor is the best absolute

Sak I would put best p4p because he was literally a 155 lb guy going by UFC weight cutting standards fighting and beating Giants

he also didn't really work out, smoked like a chimney..

If you put it all together, prob the best raw talent ever p4p

Fedor is definitely the BEST FIGHTER OF ALL TIME
(12-22-2020 07:14 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]He was one of the first complete fighters
he had strong kicks. his punches were kinda weak, but he did manage to drop wanderlei in their first fight

impeccable timing, amazing single leg takedowns, amazing creativity

prob the best p4p fighter overall in history

The Japanese were already well rounded before most everyone else because they had already been competing in RINGS and SHOOTO before the UFC existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. The Japanese were extremely well rounded but not as developed in weight cutting and conditioning though relatively
Reference URL's